What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2017-2018

Nm0369
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Bumper week. Heard very good things about the Millstone 1996. 

2017-10-18_1532.png

I have not had any of the Millstone stuff, there is a place I know of that has the "100 Rye"  but it's 1.5 hours away and $89, worth it?

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I have not had any of the Millstone stuff, there is a place I know of that has the "100 Rye"  but it's 1.5 hours away and $89, worth it?

I like it but being 100% rye it is obviously very rye forward (think MGP).  Not sure if I can say it's worth the round trip and coin. 

I've got some of their barrel proof rye offerings too, perhaps I can bring a sample? 

20171018_200813.jpg

Edited by beasled

9 minutes ago, beasled said:

I like it but being 100% rye it is obviously very rye forward (think MGP).  Not sure if I can say it's worth the round trip and coin. 

I've got some of their barrel proof rye offerings too, perhaps I can bring a sample? 

20171018_200813.jpg

Sounds good to me :)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, beasled said:

20171018_200813.jpg

They had me at Dutch Windmills...:wub:

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

They had me at Dutch Windmills...:wub:

It's integral to the flavour I'm sure. 

24 minutes ago, beasled said:

It's integral to the flavour I'm sure. 

Heehee!  Maybe, that's it!   :D  I've had a couple iterations of their rye courtesy of our current BOTY, and I can say I quite enjoy it.    Nice whiskies.

22 hours ago, beasled said:

I have both the 100 proof and the TWC BP bottles. I don't find it to be quite the same as MGP. There is a nice sweetness in the whisky that sets it apart from the more dill/herbal/spicy character of MGP. Then again it is 8+yo and of course, Wind Mills! :o

The BP is about 10yo and also a bit more feisty than the 100 proof which I think is more than just the higher proof. A touch of water helps it settle but I generally found that I prefer the 100 proof version. When you consider that these days older ryes are at least $10 a year the price is more or less consistent. But like everything it has gone up over time.

9 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have both the 100 proof and the TWC BP bottles. I don't find it to be quite the same as MGP. There is a nice sweetness in the whisky that sets it apart from the more dill/herbal/spicy character of MGP. Then again it is 8+yo and of course, Wind Mills! :o

The BP is about 10yo and also a bit more feisty than the 100 proof which I think is more than just the higher proof. A touch of water helps it settle but I generally found that I prefer the 100 proof version. When you consider that these days older ryes are at least $10 a year the price is more or less consistent. But like everything it has gone up over time.

Pretty accurate statement on pricing there although you do have to pay about at least a $30 minimum premium for 1 year old "Craft" Rye even when it is just sourced MGP ;)

True enough. It is not an entirely linear progression of price over time!

• I like it 1

I just didn't think the Millstone could compare with something like Pikesville or CEHT

I remember it having a cerealy note that I never enjoy. Personal preference. 

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I just didn't think the Millstone could compare with something like Pikesville or CEHT

I remember it having a cerealy note that I never enjoy. Personal preference. 

It was certainly different but I don't recall a cerealy note. But as you say it is a personal preference thing!

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

It was certainly different but I don't recall a cerealy note. But as you say it is a personal preference thing!

I could be wrong, it was a long time ago. I remember enough to know I'm not going to pay for another sample to get the tasting notes right :)

Just now, The Black Tot said:

I could be wrong, it was a long time ago. I remember enough to know I'm not going to pay for another sample to get the tasting notes right :)

Remind me and I can bring it to the Sampler if you want to reinvestigate!

On 10/19/2017 at 7:04 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I had some of the TWE barrel proof the other night and whilst it is quite different to some of the MGP products I thought it could pass for one of the SAOS age stated cask strength products once some water had been added, maybe just me! 

Today I picked up 2 bottles of anCnoc 16 which was discontinued a while back but I'm happy to see about as it's a great summer dram. 

Driving through Connecticut yesterday and dropped in a local LS to find several bottlings (the three from Campbeltown) that I've never seen in the wild -- gathering dust. As everything else in the shop was predictable mainstream liquid, I had to ask the manager about the Scotch. The story was that they had "just shown up" a couple of years ago with a wine order. 

IMG_7766.thumb.JPG.fbbfbf958d527150899e6765a0a4caa7.JPG

18 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Driving through Connecticut yesterday and dropped in a local LS to find several bottlings (the three from Campbeltown) that I've never seen in the wild -- gathering dust. As everything else in the shop was predictable mainstream liquid, I had to ask the manager about the Scotch. The story was that they had "just shown up" a couple of years ago with a wine order. 

Some nice options there. The Hazelburn R&K is pretty good. I also have the Longrow vrsion but I am still searching, mostly in vain, for the Springbank R&K.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Some nice options there. The Hazelburn R&K is pretty good. I also have the Longrow vrsion but I am still searching, mostly in vain, for the Springbank R&K.

Yes, after a couple of pours of the Hazelburn 10 R&K yesterday, I'm on the hunt for the other two expressions-- and both appear to be long gone.

I admit, I am a huge fan of Macallan, so I had to pick this one up today.  Don’t know much about it, but has anyone else tried it?

10011FFE-8B23-4C89-AB71-1AA99AE0C393.jpeg

On 10/22/2017 at 8:05 PM, Marekv8 said:

IMG_7766.thumb.JPG.fbbfbf958d527150899e6765a0a4caa7.JPG

Fine selection there, sir!

21 hours ago, jvd99 said:

This arrived on my doorstep from shores far away

IMG_0956.JPG

Not so sure about the HC15 for me. A fine rum but they wanted more than I thought it was worth when I was in Cuba (the only place I have gotten to try it. Would love to find a bottle of Springer R&K but don't know if I am willing to pay the cost and shipping from across the pond. Unless maybe they are releasing a new bottling of it???

Let us know how they are!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Picked up an Aberlour A'bunadh for $70 at a LS in south MS. Even though I have plenty in the bunker, I can't pass them up at that price. They're around $120 now where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was stuck in traffic by Total Wine and unfortunately (or not) remembered they sent out a 10% off Spirits Direct coupon so I picked up a couple bottles I have had my eye on, as well as this Glen Fohdry which after a couple minutes of intense Google research is apparently a William Grant and Sons Trademark, I knew it would likely not be great but it had a few interesting thing on the label 1. 12 Year age statement 2. NCF 3. No color added 4. bottled at 47.1%, figured if it wasn't great at just under $35 it could at least be a good candidate for Rob Roys.

IMG_20171027_202302627.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.