What Beer Are You Drinking Fall/Winter 2017-'18

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Up Side of Unemployment:

IMG_1319.jpg

Couldn't leave the Hartford area without trying this one.  Really good.  Starts sweet but evens out by the finish.  Wheat IPA.  Reminds me of Trillium Deciduous. 

Thought about starting a new "unemployed and enjoying it" thread but didn't want to encourage anyone to quit their gainful employment.  And truth be told, this goes down easier knowing that I'm drawing a paycheck in a few weeks!  Still...comfort must be taken where available.

-Mike

Edited by scratchline

Tried this tonight courtesy of s fellow SBr. He actually gave it to me a long time ago. I just forgot about it. 

Nice, drinkable, but slightly sweet stout. Not too hesvy. Head was almost sticky. A solid beer but I prefer things a little darker and heavier.

20180309_192027.jpg

Last night had a Dogfish Head Olde School and I didn't particularly care for it.

Tonight I had an Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout and thought it was really really good.  

On 3/10/2018 at 8:42 PM, Clueby said:

Looked thru the fridge to find something to pair with nachos. Bingo.

20180310_193512-1209x1612.jpg

Clue,  How is the Doom holding up with age?  I have a few more bottles in the bunker.

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Clue,  How is the Doom holding up with age?  I have a few more bottles in the bunker.

I didn't notice any appreciable difference.  It wasn't really "bunkered"..it was just in the back of the fridge.  Other than CBS, it was probably my favorite of the BA series.  It surprised me because I'm usually not a fan of IPAs.

I’m back from Vietnam and didn’t have a chance to post my last beer notes before I left.

We spent the final few days in Saigon and I wanted to try all the Bia Saigon beers SBS. I had tried the regular Bia Saigon and the Special several times and liked them both, though I wasn’t sure how they’d stack up against each other, the export version, and the limited edition Gold version I found.

Bia Saigon - 4.3%. Very light, slightly malty. Just a little cheap beer bite and bitterness at the end not unlike American light beers.

Saigon “Special” - 4.9%. Basically a sweeter, maltier version of Bia Saigon. A little heavier and with less cheap beer bite at the end, likely due to the additional sweetness. The Coors Banquet of Vietnamese beers.

Saigon “Export” - 4.9%. Tastes like Saigon Special but with a slightly boozier finish.

Saigon “Gold” Limited Edition - 5%. This starts normal then mid-palate an earthy, grainy, slightly floral flavor comes in and lasts through the finish. This tastes like it was brewed with some non conventional grains or herbs. Or maybe a weird yeast. An interesting departure from the light beers I’ve been drinking but I wouldn’t line up for this LE.

109bc00148fdaa0fc4281cd36404891a.jpg

This explanation of the Special vs the Export was in a menu of a bar in Dong Hoi (and also offers an explanation of the name for Huda beer)
2cf42dcf71770bed22417d6356a35f6c.jpg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

I didn't notice any appreciable difference.  It wasn't really "bunkered"..it was just in the back of the fridge.  Other than CBS, it was probably my favorite of the BA series.  It surprised me because I'm usually not a fan of IPAs.

I'm a big fan as well.  I like IPAs and I like BA beers but I was not sure I would like the combo.  It's really good.  I find that the warmer it is, the more you taste the barrel influence. 

Had a very old Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (I can't remember exactly when I bought this but it's definitely over 5 years and likely around 8).  It didn't resemble an IPA anymore due to the age, but it was really fantastic.  Very malty and almost caramel like.

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Some 17 BCBS with corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes.

20180318_175744-1209x1612.jpg

Very tasty brew!

Cheers!

• I like it 1

Had an arrogant bastard barrel aged the other day. Surprisingly good. I like that they did not let the barrel aging take over too much. More manageable than others I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery Pump[KY]n 2015. Usually I can only drink about half a bottle of Avery’s more intense stuff (PumpKYn, Rumpkin, Samael’s, etc) but this was tasting really good last night and I polished off the bottle in one sitting. I really like the balance of pumpkin, spice, and chocolatey stouty flavors. Fairly boozy but that’s to be expected given the 15% ABV. I’ve stopped recommending this beer to people, however, because others don’t seem to share my affinity for it.

967628918e85141e83d4f20ea794f6cd.jpg

Cascade Bourbonic Plague 2011. From the bottle: “This NW style sour ale is a blend of spiced Double Porters that were aged in Bourbon barrels for 18 months before aging on dates and spices for up to an additional 12 months.”

Love the dark fruit, balsamic vinegar, and stout notes in this. It’s really weird but it works very well.

c8bb75a81b87a5677230de82e6dbe5a1.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a couple of these...very tasty stuff!
3310cf438f741816fa3f35c394015896.jpg

On 3/24/2018 at 5:57 PM, lcpfratn said:

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a couple of these...very tasty stuff!
3310cf438f741816fa3f35c394015896.jpg

That looks great!  That looks like my kind of beer.  I would say you are "fortunate".  Congrats and enjoy.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

That looks great!  That looks like my kind of beer.  I would say you are "fortunate".  Congrats and enjoy.

Looks like orange juice!

Looks like orange juice!

But tastes much better! [emoji12] It's one of those unfiltered brews, and was one of the best beers I've had in a while...somewhat comparable to Dogfish Head 90 in flavor profile, but better...and I really like Dogfish Head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have like this Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve since my first bottle.  Some beers I put in the “My dad would have liked this” category, and I am sure this is one.  A nice maltiness, not heavy but with a nice mouthfeel, and with enough crispness to keep it drinkable.  Can’t remember if this is seasonal, one-off, or what, but I’ll be getting more when the time comes.  

567DE39D-C0FA-44C6-85FD-6AD8B44FCD26.jpeg

I have like this Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve since my first bottle.  Some beers I put in the “My dad would have liked this” category, and I am sure this is one.  A nice maltiness, not heavy but with a nice mouthfeel, and with enough crispness to keep it drinkable.  Can’t remember if this is seasonal, one-off, or what, but I’ll be getting more when the time comes.  
567DE39D-C0FA-44C6-85FD-6AD8B44FCD26.thumb.jpeg.471288083ce75f48925886f4961a3d45.jpeg

I haven’t ever seen that, but sounds good. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

They ran countless tv commercials for the Bud 1933 Repeal during NFL games.  I recall it was supposed to be a holiday release.  I never found any at all; even talked to some liquor store managers.  I'm sure those tv commercials were not cheap; then no product in stores?

Popped this today. Not a bad beer by any means, but I was expecting more from a quad.

20180330_174605.jpg

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, emr454 said:

Popped this today. Not a bad beer by any means, but I was expecting more from a quad.

20180330_174605.jpg

That is like one of the best on the planet.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.