What Beer Are You Drinking Fall/Winter 2017-'18

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don’t know anything about this stout but it’s good. It set 25 months in bourbon barrels. 

484022BA-C890-4B6C-A270-E1A6E6538204.thumb.jpeg.5211984f5a969018ecc184e443e9d3f5.jpeg9533D2B5-E4A8-4F50-B3C9-2F3F45289286.thumb.jpeg.3dc17719bc1acd86c016ef31c9c3a8a1.jpeg

• I like it 1

This one last night. It’s a good one. Not a ton of coffee, but a definite dark-roasted sort of thing going on.

56c4f48cc2618b74938ab5c20d3752d4.jpg

• I like it 1

The beer that really started it all for Atlanta breweries still remains a go-to for me in many establishments.  Not my “favorite” in town by any means, but 420 is just a damn solid drinker.  

1F9AA166-C35B-4DF6-AEA3-8F823B40ED08.jpeg

• I like it 1

This literally taste like I just had a bit of salted peanuts with the shells and a drink of sweet porter. Not necessarily a bad think but was hoping for more of a peanut butter porter taste.

c1102f5793566c655a9269c36b8885cf.jpg

• I like it 2

I had some leftover Guinness from a batch of Guinness stew from a couple weeks back, not a bad option for a half and half.

7cc4030438dc0b17964ddd659fa087fd.jpg

My dad just turned 90!  When I was growing up, the beer he liked was Old Style Lager.  Our family is originally from Chicago.  So I picked up some Old Style recently to celebrate.  It's on par with something like PBR or Stroh's.  It's definitely better than the lite or light beers that advertise so much.

Picked up a couple of Bell's Hopslam six packs today.   It's one of my all time favorite limited releases.  

image.jpg

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, $helby said:

Picked up a couple of Bell's Hopslam six packs today.   It's one of my all time favorite limited releases.  

image.jpg

I tried it this week just to see if there was any change to my palate. Nope! Still way too unbalanced. Needs six months to let some of the honey kick in and balance out the slammyness of the hops.

Break time from attempting to clean...er...well, basically move crap around in the garage so I can get to my other crap...Nice thing about it is the bourbon you find but forgot you had!  :D

Bteak time reward is a Green Man (Asheville, NC) Porter.  Huge chunky head, silky body, and nice and light cocoa notes.  Very drinkable, while giving nice dark beer flavor.  

68035D49-A0DB-4545-A41F-9550431DE36E.jpeg

I stopped by Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley today on the way back into the city and picked up a few “crowlers” which they can directly from the tap while you wait. And while waiting, figured I’d make good use of my time and Drank a King Citra, which is one of their hazy fruity IPAs. It was very good.

I’m now enjoying one of the cans of Eastside Motel I brought home, another NE style IPA. I slightly prefer the king citra, but this is also excellent. I’m really digging the unfiltered IPAs right now.

aed570510b3645c83dc712f5a7d9210a.jpg

• I like it 2

I had a few beers at Founders yesterday.  They had their annual Cellar Raid and it did not disappoint.  They had at least a dozen barrel aged beers on tap.  They had the usual barrel aged beers that Founders is known for - Backwoods Bastard, KBS, CBS...  And plenty of one-offs - BA Sumatra Brown, BA Devil Dancer, Frootwood, BA Curmudgeon, Doom and much more.

I wanted to try their beers that I have not tried before (I went with my brother and he ordered three glasses of CBS - not a bad game plan).  The first beer I had was their porter with coffee from a firkin.  Man, that beer was superb!  Founders is really good about having a firkin available in their taproom during the later parts of the week.  The firkins are usually filled with their Class 1 beers like All Day, Centennial, Porter, Dirty Bastard, etc... with an added ingredient or two.  Some of those firkins can be misses but some of them are home runs.  That porter with the coffee was a home run.

They also had BA Imperial Stout.  This was the first time I had ever seen their Imperial Stout barrel aged so I was all over it.  It was solid but it didn't blow me away like I had hoped.

Last but not least, I tried an IPA called GHA IPA.  I'm not sure what that means.  This was a very very good IPA.  It clocked in at 7.3% abv.  The nose was a citrus bomb.  The beer itself was absolutely delicious.  I hope they bottle this beer sometime in the future.  I'm really lucky that I live close to this world class brewery.  I tried three beers that were new to me and they were all top notch.

• I like it 2

Fathead’s Head Hunter IPA with some end of day paperwork.  

A63A00FB-F608-4BEE-BBB2-CB149FD119BC.jpeg

11 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

934ca6d876d8df20a7cc1a65fa099e13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice one, especially for the price.

Enjoying one of the cans of King Citra I got from Fieldwork Brewing the other day. Really tasty, fresh, fruity, and dangerously drinkable at 8.7% ABV

a229298c166763a85e88120c90211ec3.jpg

• I like it 1

On 1/17/2018 at 8:32 PM, LCWoody said:

I don’t know anything about this stout but it’s good. It set 25 months in bourbon barrels. 

I don't know much about beer, but isn't 25 months in a barrel a lot? I mean, not even some bourbon spend that much time in the barrel :) What's typical for aged beers?

57 minutes ago, Kane said:

I don't know much about beer, but isn't 25 months in a barrel a lot? I mean, not even some bourbon spend that much time in the barrel :) What's typical for aged beers?

I think most Stouts spend anywhere from 6 to 12 months in barrels. I do have some that spent 3 years in barrels.

Warsteiner to end hump day.  This has been a regular on my beer list for many years, as my brother enjoys it since his days working in Munich.  I like it, particularly the biscuity note.  The same note I get in Fat Tire.  

E3B78C6F-CE28-4770-B086-70A429CE40EF.jpeg

• I like it 1

Continuing with my Fieldwork crowler series, here’s their Caribbean Queen. Very sour and fruity, which I’m into, but there’s something that reminds me of champagne in here and I’m not the biggest fan of that. Note to self, 32oz cans of sour beer maybe aren’t the best idea.

214f9da6d56f20d3b200f53e2079c959.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, smokinjoe said:

Warsteiner to end hump day.  This has been a regular on my beer list for many years, as my brother enjoys it since his days working in Munich.  I like it, particularly the biscuity note.  The same note I get in Fat Tire.  

E3B78C6F-CE28-4770-B086-70A429CE40EF.jpeg

Man, nothing better than a good German or Czech pilsner.  It's been a while since I've had a Warsteiner though.  I'll have to fix that.

10 hours ago, DPPSmoker said:

Man, nothing better than a good German or Czech pilsner.  It's been a while since I've had a Warsteiner though.  I'll have to fix that.

If you can, check the date to be sure it's fresh.

I used to think Pilsner Urquel was just average; until I got to try some fresh off the boat in Windsor Ontario. Wow

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

If you can, check the date to be sure it's fresh.

I used to think Pilsner Urquel was just average; until I got to try some fresh off the boat in Windsor Ontario. Wow

It's even better if you happen to be able to have one fresh from the brewery in Pilsen! It has been many years now but I had the opportunity back in the late 90's.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.