What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had Knob Creek 2001 last night for the first time and it was amazing. One of the best bourbons I’ve ever had. Incredibly smooth. Now if I can only convince my wife that we need a bottle at home.......

0B02B8A2-9C03-4B3A-A934-9F307F3D486F.jpeg

I had Knob Creek 2001 last night for the first time and it was amazing. One of the best bourbons I’ve ever had. Incredibly smooth. Now if I can only convince my wife that we need a bottle at home.......
0B02B8A2-9C03-4B3A-A934-9F307F3D486F.thumb.jpeg.77267f33e40f0c60318f45b9db9abf68.jpeg

Find some good KC Single Barrel store picks...they are just as good or better and about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost. Having said that, if you can find a 2001 for under $100, I can understand the urge to have one.
  • I like it 2

I am sipping a KC while waiting for my burger+beer at a bar. Meanwhile, this surreal event is taking place right next to me:

DudeA: "I'm really getting into bourbon"

DudeB: "What do you like?"

A: "Jack Honey"

B: "Pussy."

B proceeds to order two "High Wests". Bartender doesn't care and serves two over-sized eyeball measures of Rendezvous.

A kicks the entire frigging thing back in one go.

A: "Whoa, I see why they call it *High* West"

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Find some good KC Single Barrel store picks...they are just as good or better and about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost. Having said that, if you can find a 2001 for under $100, I can understand the urge to have one.

I have a KC Single Barrel store pick from Total Wine and More in Charleston, SC at home and I had some Friday night and it wasn’t nearly as good as the KC 2001 I had on Saturday. Not even close. Had way more of a tobacco and leather taste than the 2001. It was still good, especially after I added a few drops of water, but the 2001 I had was amazing. Maybe there are some better KC Single Barrels out there that are better than the one I got. 

I’m having a small pour of each tonight for my birthday. Started with the 90 proofs and working my way up. Having some GTS now. 

7954DE9B-24C7-402C-8E89-7487C9CA48CD.thumb.jpeg.4728e6eb752bc25fe89b14c0698e0b12.jpeg

• I like it 10

I have a KC Single Barrel store pick from Total Wine and More in Charleston, SC at home and I had some Friday night and it wasn’t nearly as good as the KC 2001 I had on Saturday. Not even close. Had way more of a tobacco and leather taste than the 2001. It was still good, especially after I added a few drops of water, but the 2001 I had was amazing. Maybe there are some better KC Single Barrels out there that are better than the one I got. 

I’m guessing that the KC store picks you’ve had are maybe just not quite as good as some of the ones that I have. The 2001 is good, of course, but I think some of the 12 and 13 year old store picks that I have are just as good, and probably better for less than $40. I haven’t done a side by side tasting with the 2001, but we had a bottle of 2001 at the April Sampler in Bardstown last year, and I’m pretty sure everyone came to the conclusion that it was good bourbon, but grossly overpriced...especially when compared to the great KC Single Barrel store picks that most of us had.

You’re obviously happy with your purchase and you are enjoying the contents of the bottle, and in the end that is all that matters. I’d probably buy a bottle if I found it for under $100. I have previously said in other threads on SB that I wouldn’t buy a bottle of the 25th Anniversary for the same reasons I haven’t bought a bottle of the 2001 LE, but I recently got offered a bottle of the 25th for under $100 and couldn’t say no.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

I’m having a small pour of each tonight for my birthday. Started with the 90 proofs and working my way up. Having some GTS now. 

7954DE9B-24C7-402C-8E89-7487C9CA48CD.thumb.jpeg.4728e6eb752bc25fe89b14c0698e0b12.jpeg

Well, Happy Birthday to you!  I can see you are celebrating in style.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Well, I hope you have a wonderful Birthday, LC!    ...Actually, it loox like that will be a forgone conclusion.   Many happy, healthy returns, LC.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

My birthday is on Tuesday. Can I come to your house? :)

• I like it 1

Some delicious VOB, BiB "6" this evening while watching some Olympics.

6?  6 what?

Apparently "6 crafted", according to the label.

Anyway,

Yum!

IMAG3035_1.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Some OWA tonight while watching some Olympics.

Edit..sorry..some WA107.

Edited by Clueby

Some delicious VOB, BiB "6" this evening while watching some Olympics.
6?  6 what?
Apparently "6 crafted", according to the label.
Anyway,
Yum!

IMAG3035_1.thumb.jpg.7be70d6659b195eed75b5107bb1f9cf2.jpg

I’m enjoying the vob6 BIB tonight. May be one of the best value pours in bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, LCWoody said:

That's the right way to do it, happy birthday. 

Will.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, NDN98 said:

It’s a Weller 12 night tonight 451e2029aa37a7d0bf57e71425fb496e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice - but I can't find any W12 in College Station!   :(

Heading back here thru Austin in a couple of weeks.  Any suggestions of some good liquor stores to shop at in the state capitol???   :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Nice - but I can't find any W12 in College Station!   :(

Heading back here thru Austin in a couple of weeks.  Any suggestions of some good liquor stores to shop at in the state capitol???   :rolleyes:

Oak Liquor Cabinet on Research Blvd

South Lamar Wine & Spirits on, well, Lamar

Twin Liquors is a decent chain

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m guessing that the KC store picks you’ve had are maybe just not quite as good as some of the ones that I have. The 2001 is good, of course, but I think some of the 12 and 13 year old store picks that I have are just as good, and probably better for less than $40. I haven’t done a side by side tasting with the 2001, but we had a bottle of 2001 at the April Sampler in Bardstown last year, and I’m pretty sure everyone came to the conclusion that it was good bourbon, but grossly overpriced...especially when compared to the great KC Single Barrel store picks that most of us had.

You’re obviously happy with your purchase and you are enjoying the contents of the bottle, and in the end that is all that matters. I’d probably buy a bottle if I found it for under $100. I have previously said in other threads on SB that I wouldn’t buy a bottle of the 25th Anniversary for the same reasons I haven’t bought a bottle of the 2001 LE, but I recently got offered a bottle of the 25th for under $100 and couldn’t say no.

Cheers!

I was quite surprised at the taste difference between the Single Barrel and the 25th. I had the 25th at a bar over the weekend, so I’ll give my Single Barrell another shot this week. But yeah, maybe the SB just wasn’t a good pick. 

On 2/17/2018 at 9:04 PM, Marekv8 said:

After drinking Scotch, this sucker is like candy. Interesting that two PS bottles from liquor stores hundreds of miles away from each other were rather close in the rickhouse (at least it appears so). Not sure if the "selected by" and "selected for" designations are meaningful in this case.

IMG_8691.thumb.jpg.06ebed51d270d1029ed11b00596f30f8.jpg

IMG_8683.thumb.jpeg.5725e9ef4675b52edd6e2f54ea2e8906.jpeg

I’ve got another bottle. Also in the 900s also 4 4. Very good, not as good as 990 though. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Note that the KC 2001 came out in three batches, which received very different reviews. It’s a bit blurry, but looks like your pic is batch 2 in case you are looking for it. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Oak Liquor Cabinet on Research Blvd

South Lamar Wine & Spirits on, well, Lamar

Twin Liquors is a decent chain

I second Oak Liquor Cabinet and South Lamar Wine and Spirits.  Oak Liquor Cabinet staff tends to have staff that know their bourbon and are informative.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Some OWA tonight while watching some Olympics.

Edit..sorry..some WA107.

Because we spend a lot of thought on these things, there was a discussion thread solely devoted to which abbreviation to use when the new label came out. The conclusion if I remember correctly was to continue using OWA. Both are used interchangeably now and it’s not really a contentious issue. Certainly no need to apologize or edit for using one or the other. :)

Started with a sbs of Stagg Jr. batch 7 (130 pf) and batch 9 (131.9). Noticed some subtle differences and a slight preference for 9 in the first few sips but quickly lost them as the high proof deadened my taste buds. Had it right after some Korean food so I knew I was going to need to try it again anyway on a different night with a clean palate.  Followed up with an OBSK that was fantastic. The spice of that one cut right through any and all palate issues. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.