What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I felt like a little butterscotch this afternoon, so some ND OGD is in order.

• I like it 1

I had a great sampling of things this afternoon.  Met up with @ThirstyinOhio, @Frez18 and some other whiskey friends and had 12 bottles between us.  The collection included Stagg, 5 FR Single Barrels, ECBP, KO Rye, Wathens BP, JB Distillers Cut, Smooth Ambler Yearling and some Parkers Wheat.  Between that, cheese and meat it was a fantastic afternoon.

Edited by heydobro
  • I like it 2

Here’s my first dance with grandpa weller. I think I prefer solo OGD BiB, but this isn’t bad. This is also my first try of WSR. I agree with others that this is a sub $20 for a reason. 

4435D289-FB61-4732-BE31-A54D021D36DE.jpeg

Climbing the wheater ladder tonight. Tried a bit of each SBSBS already. W12 wins on nose but the palate and viscosity of WLW ('16)..omg!  You can definitely get the family resemblance even all the way down to WSR.

20180203_190454-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 7

Finishing off a 375ml of Virginia Gentleman that I purchased for the VBT thread.  It can't compete with those Wellers, but it can stand on its own.

Started with a KCSB store pick from The Green Jug (12 yr, barrel 4026) and it was great...one of the better KCSB store picks I've ever tried.

Now, I am revisiting a 1792 Full proof pick from DEP's. I am not the biggest fan of the 1792 line but this one is pretty good.

An old friend from another life showed up at my door with a bottle of Booker's. He is a commercial airline pilot and was in Boston for a few days visiting from the other end of the globe. Totally surprised me.

He knows nothing about bourbon but bought the Booker's at random apparently :) I matched it with a OF 1920 and we had a good time catching up.

• I like it 2

Started with the Blanton’s SFTB and moving onto RHF, course two of my BT2 sampler platter for the evening. 

DF5DB4A2-FFB7-4F69-B744-B39C7DD5439D.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Started with the Blanton’s SFTB and moving onto RHF, course two of my BT2 sampler platter for the evening. 

DF5DB4A2-FFB7-4F69-B744-B39C7DD5439D.jpeg

Ah, BT Mash Bill #2.  Just add some HPR and you've got the Mash Bill #2 Quadrifecta.  Mash Bill #2 is probably my favorite.

• I like it 2

I've mentioned before how much I like AAA 10yr, but tonight it's absolutely killing it. 

• I like it 1

Well at least it was a good game, couldn't decide which team I wanted to see lose more, also couldn't decide what I was in the mood for so went with a bottle that made it easier to decide.

IMG_20180204_221250011.jpg

• I like it 3

On 2/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, Richnimrod said:

Hmmm, I can easily do  SBS of those two.     Maybe I'll do that tomorrow... 

My recollection of the VOB is that once it lost the 6-year age statement is slowly dropped in quality (a fair amount over the last couple years or so).  

I have both an 'old' (5-yrs.?), 6-yr. VOB as well as a non age stated one from this past September.     I'll compare all 3 tomorrow, if my resolve holds.   I have no CEHT BIB, so only the 3-way of Barton products.

OK, I did do this SBSBS Sunday afternoon.   

To make the report short and sweet (which all these were to some extent, by the way), the age stated (6-year) VOB was very good; but the 1792 BIB had a slightly more complex profile (more rye spice in the mid-palate, and finish), so it won, by a small but significant margin.    That wasn't a big surprise.    The two surprises to me were that the non-age-stated VOB was also pretty darned close to the 6-year, and that the 6-year was so close in overall enjoyment to the 1792.

So, to sum up: I found all to be quite enjoyable and the the two VOB's to be very good values for such enjoyable pours.    By comparison I guess that means the 1792, for such a close test is a rather poor value for the fairly high cost.

Back when VOB 6 year was readily available, it was one of my favorites.  This may sound counter intuitive, but I preferred the VOB 6 year to the 1792 8 year (regardless of price).  The 1792 had a tannin aftertaste, like iced tea made too strong.  I just couldn't dig it.

I recently picked up a "100 proof" VOB BIB.  I think it's pretty good (especially @ $15!).

I have a couple dusty 6 year bunkered, including an old anchor bottle I got in KY.

• I like it 1

OF 1920. I'm halfway through the bottle, and this still smells and tastes a lot like some of the more aggressively doctored rums to me, think Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva or Ron Zacapa... I have no idea why, but I can't un-taste it.

It's certainly a unique taste, but overall I am slightly disappointed. Reading tasting notes like dark, chocolatey, cherry, etc. I was expecting something different. Being readily available and well-liked by virtually everybody, I wanted this one to blow my socks off, but it didn't. Sucks to be me.

Once I polish off this one and various open FR recipes to open up some shelf space, I think I am going to stop experimenting for a while. I'll buy a few bottles of BT, Beam, WT and withdraw to my happy place.

21 minutes ago, Kane said:

OF 1920. I'm halfway through the bottle, and this still smells and tastes a lot like some of the more aggressively doctored rums to me, think Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva or Ron Zacapa... I have no idea why, but I can't un-taste it.

It's certainly a unique taste, but overall I am slightly disappointed. Reading tasting notes like dark, chocolatey, cherry, etc. I was expecting something different. Being readily available and well-liked by virtually everybody, I wanted this one to blow my socks off, but it didn't. Sucks to be me.

Once I polish off this one and various open FR recipes to open up some shelf space, I think I am going to stop experimenting for a while. I'll buy a few bottles of BT, Beam, WT and withdraw to my happy place.

I think Im the only other round around these parts of the internet who was disappointed by it.

14 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

I think Im the only other round around these parts of the internet who was disappointed by it.

Nope you can count me in on this one as well, to date pretty sure Woodford Double Oak is the only BF bourbon I would pick up again and with that I would probably go with a store pick from a place I trust. 

Edited by kevinbrink

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having a very good glass of Murray Hill Club tonight. 

DEBCB69F-2684-4EA4-8BFA-CABBC617B0C6.thumb.jpeg.70241ba0e1816c86e32dd84f83e1b6d7.jpeg

That right there is good stuff. You can tell it has light whiskey in it, but it doesn't detract. Nancy really came up with a good one here.

• I like it 1

At dinner last night I tried my first pour of JB Distiller's Cut.  Didn't nose or get raisins on the palate like some others have.  Vanilla, oak, smoke and a little spice at the end.  Finally found a Beam on the front label product that I like.  Followed that with a pour of CEHT Single Barrel.  Huge caramel bomb, very viscous on the tongue.  Really enjoyed this one.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:52 PM, kevinbrink said:

Nope you can count me in on this one as well, to date pretty sure Woodford Double Oak is the only BF bourbon I would pick up again and with that I would probably go with a store pick from a place I trust. 

I'm actually in the same boat on OF1920. It's good but it doesn't quite live up to the level I expected based on the reviews. Maybe the bottle will open up with a bit more air but as of now, I probably wouldn't buy another. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.