What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

38 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Drinking a Ritt Rye Manhattan right now.  I know - its not bourbon.  But its not too shabby.

But, what if it were a Bourbon?  

A nice glass of OWA 107 LS select. Trying to decide between Blanton’s STFB or ECBP C917 for the next choice. 

Edited by Radioyada
  • I like it 1

I'm having yet another impromptu sbs this evening. This time it's ps BT's from a couple of different stores.

I've had a few bottles of BT from one store because I really like the barrel they picked. They've done numerous picks over the years, and I have yet to try one that I didn't like. The one it was up against was from another store that only occasionally does barrel picks. FWIW, I'm not sure if they go to the distillery to do the pick, have samples sent to them to pick from, or have BT pick a barrel for them.  Anyway...... I must say that I was just a little surprised. I actually thought that the BT from the second store was just a tad better. I reckon the next time I'm in there (probably this weekend if we don't get snowed in) I'll have to let the store manager know that I think she picked a pretty good barrel. :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

A pour of PHC11 tonight. Some air and time has improved this bottle..or it's a good palate night. I could smell it as soon as I popped the cork. Nice oily feel. Long finish. Still get a little peanut. I'm starting to agree with more of a resemblance to EW than EC.

20180207_202605-1209x1612.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

A nice glass of OWA 107 LS select. Trying to decide between Blanton’s STFB or ECBP C917 for the next choice. 

Man, do you have it rough.

3 hours ago, jackthedog said:

I'm actually in the same boat on OF1920. It's good but it doesn't quite live up to the level I expected based on the reviews. Maybe the bottle will open up with a bit more air but as of now, I probably wouldn't buy another. 

I was not impressed with the first bottle I bought either.  In fact, I ended up giving my first bottle away after I had finished about 1/3 of it.  Fast forward 9 months later and I had a pour at a Christmas party (it was OF1920 or Maker's) and it tasted amazing.  I have since purchased another bottle and enjoyed every bit of it.  Not sure if my palate changed significantly or if I just got a bad bottle the first time, but I really like the OF1920 now.

Having one small pour to celebrate "Hump Day" coming to a close. 
My choice tonight is WTRB 116.8 (new bottle style).  This bottle really speaks to me, much like the older batches of WTRB have in the past.  I haven't been a huge fan of the 112 & 116.8 (old bottle style).  I don't usually believe a change in packaging comes with an immediate  change of the juice inside.  But, at least for this bottle, it has improved over it's two predecessors. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

What I’m not enjoying tonight thanks to my brother (not really a bourbon guy) not un corking this bottle for a-while. Settling in on eagle rare. 

F4D5A0C9-01F2-4B26-BE53-C97243DAC95D.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Mako254 said:

What I’m not enjoying tonight thanks to my brother (not really a bourbon guy) not un corking this bottle for a-while. Settling in on eagle rare. 

F4D5A0C9-01F2-4B26-BE53-C97243DAC95D.jpeg

Hmmmmm, not at all 'old' especially for a total cork-failure.    Very bad luck on this, I'd say.  

Not a big deal of course; just a PITA to fix unless you have one of those handy two-pronged wine cork removers.   Those are a very useful gadget.    If you do, and if you have just a bit of good fortune, you can remove the balance of that failed cork and not even need to 'strain' out any bits and pieces.    You'll need to decant the Bourbon, or replace the cork, of course.    Good Luck.

• I like it 1

Had a SB buddy come by last night to do a SBSBS that we'd been discussing for several weeks now. We kicked off the evening with 3 RR SiB store picks. All from different warehouses and each distinctively different. For me there were two clear winners K and B. The other sample was warehouse H with this particular barrel seeming younger and a little rough around the edges. The B is the SP I've been hoarding and it was good to do this little exercise to see if it's really that good. Thanks Jeff for bringing two of the three to taste and enjoy. I think we all agree it's the particular barrel that's the real test not so much which warehouse. Mako wish you were here. :)

After a Memphis only BBQ dinner we upped our little game with a Pappy barrage. The particular trifecta of the night was a 16 Lot B, 17 15yr., and a 17 20yr. Very tasty, and YES IT'S THAT GOOD. Of course the conversation always goes to exactly how good, is there any value at all at current price levels, and is it so good you'd rather have one bottle of Pappy 20 than an entire case of your favorite nightly drinker. Those type discussions will go on and on, with each ones opinion different.

The final trio was Booker's Big Man/Small Batch 2015/1. We flanked the big man with ryes. Thomas Handy on the right and CEHT rye to the left. WOW, what a powerhouse group. The big man was full, bold, rich, and all Beam-a perfect representation of Booker Noes attempt to blow you away. And did it. The CEHT was terrific and held it's own very well with the others. It tasted lighter on the rye than others carrying the name but really big rye/bourbon flavor that was very good. The huge star of the evening was the Handy. The fresh mint just covered the other flavors with deliciousness, and flowered through to a long finish. The incredible thing is the bottle was just opened for this occasion no time to air and it blew us away. If you think this is the weak part of the BTAC chain you'd be wrong. ;)

Now if 9 small pours weren't enough lcpfratn insisted that he pour me a full sample of GTS before his hasty departure....hasty because his better half had the timer on. Great evening with my SB buddy and fun sharing some better pours.

• I like it 3

FP,

i need to know more about this honey from B, namely how do I ‘get aholt’ of a bottle??

Had a SB buddy come by last night to do a SBSBS that we'd been discussing for several weeks now. We kicked off the evening with 3 RR SiB store picks. All from different warehouses and each distinctively different. For me there were two clear winners K and B. The other sample was warehouse H with this particular barrel seeming younger and a little rough around the edges. The B is the SP I've been hoarding and it was good to do this little exercise to see if it's really that good. Thanks Jeff for bringing two of the three to taste and enjoy. I think we all agree it's the particular barrel that's the real test not so much which warehouse. Mako wish you were here. [emoji4]
After a Memphis only BBQ dinner we upped our little game with a Pappy barrage. The particular trifecta of the night was a 16 Lot B, 17 15yr., and a 17 20yr. Very tasty, and YES IT'S THAT GOOD. Of course the conversation always goes to exactly how good, is there any value at all at current price levels, and is it so good you'd rather have one bottle of Pappy 20 than an entire case of your favorite nightly drinker. Those type discussions will go on and on, with each ones opinion different.
The final trio was Booker's Big Man/Small Batch 2015/1. We flanked the big man with ryes. Thomas Handy on the right and CEHT rye to the left. WOW, what a powerhouse group. The big man was full, bold, rich, and all Beam-a perfect representation of Booker Noes attempt to blow you away. And did it. The CEHT was terrific and held it's own very well with the others. It tasted lighter on the rye than others carrying the name but really big rye/bourbon flavor that was very good. The huge star of the evening was the Handy. The fresh mint just covered the other flavors with deliciousness, and flowered through to a long finish. The incredible thing is the bottle was just opened for this occasion no time to air and it blew us away. If you think this is the weak part of the BTAC chain you'd be wrong. [emoji6]
Now if 9 small pours weren't enough lcpfratn insisted that he pour me a full sample of GTS before his hasty departure....hasty because his better half had the timer on. Great evening with my SB buddy and fun sharing some better pours.

It was a very enjoyable evening Bill, and thanks again for the great meal.

And the first thing out of the mouth of SWMBO when I got home was: “I thought you said you were going to be home about an hour ago”...got to love her though, she puts up with a lot!
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Had a SB buddy come by last night to do a SBSBS that we'd been discussing for several weeks now. 

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

It was a very enjoyable evening Bill, and thanks again for the great meal.

So, y'all gonna be coming to Bardstown in April? ^_^

Biba! Joe

I'm starting the afternoon off with some WTRB 116.8p while cooking some jambalaya for the family tonight.  

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So, y'all gonna be coming to Bardstown in April? ^_^

Biba! Joe

I think the opportunity to meet great folks, enjoy some terrific times, and see the cradle of bourbon history has a very strong appeal. I'm working on putting that together. Hope it will work out for me.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

I'm starting the afternoon off with some WTRB 116.8p while cooking some jambalaya for the family tonight.  

I haven't tried the WTRB yet, but I am a fan of the jambalaya. I'ts just a 6-hr drive from here but I'll be there in 20 min...

• I like it 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:33 PM, Clueby said:

A pour of PHC11 tonight. Some air and time has improved this bottle..or it's a good palate night. I could smell it as soon as I popped the cork. Nice oily feel. Long finish. Still get a little peanut. I'm starting to agree with more of a resemblance to EW than EC.

20180207_202605-1209x1612.jpg

This is my pour tonight.  Tasting even better than I recall.  Yeah, don't know if this is just a "good Palate" night, but it's really hitting the spot.  I often sample a couple different bottlings on a Friday or Saturday night, but I'm doubling up on this one.

• I like it 1

Rittenhouse neat was tasting mighty fine tonight! The citrus and baking spice notes were complimenting each other nicely.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.