What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

532231251c30a7149113fc8f7c25f6ac.jpg

Finally breaking into this Maple Barreled Bourbon from Whiskey Acres. The Maple Sirup (and yes that is spelled correctly for them) is from where I grew up. This is one of only 300 bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, brschoppe said:

Finally breaking into this Maple Barreled Bourbon from Whiskey Acres. The Maple Sirup (and yes that is spelled correctly for them) is from where I grew up. This is one of only 300 bottles.

I'm sorry; but, I don't understand your comment about spelling.    I note the incorrect spelling of the word syrup in your post... But, that word is spelled correctly on the label you pictured in the post.    Can you enlighten me (us?)?

I'm sorry; but, I don't understand your comment about spelling.    I note the incorrect spelling of the word syrup in your post... But, that word is spelled correctly on the label you pictured in the post.    Can you enlighten me (us?)?

Funk’s Grove Maple Sirup became an iconic ed1eb5407258fde89ead6132fb71e07e.jpegRoute 66 stop because of their weird spelling of Sirup vs Syrup.

2 hours ago, brschoppe said:

Funk’s Grove Maple Sirup became an iconic ed1eb5407258fde89ead6132fb71e07e.jpegRoute 66 stop because of their weird spelling of Sirup vs Syrup.

Ahhh, NOW, I see your point. 

Interesting.    I wonder if tastes any different than any other brand?    ...All coming from the same type of tree and everything....

Did a SBSBS of 4RSmBLE 2015, 2016, & 2017. Thanks to a generous SBr for the 15 and 16 samples.

Color and Legs: They were all similar with the 16 being a little darker and the 17 looking a little clearer and brighter. The 15 had legs that last for-e-ver though. Rank 16, 15, 17

Nose: The 2015 literally made me say "woa" out loud. Brown sugar, juicy fruit, and spice all rolled up. The 2016 was by far the oakiest and a little harsh on the alcohol. The 2017 had a lot of the same smells as 15 but more muted. Rank 15, 17, 16

Palate and Feel: The 15 had a creamy entry with dark fruits, molasses, and that rye kick at the end. Very balanced. The 16 was heavy on rye spice with a ton of oak at the end. The 17 had a really juicy and fruity entry and was the softest feeling. It lacked that spice kick at the end. Rank 15, 17, 16

Finish: Again right along the same lines the 15 had a creamy lingering finish that was balanced with sweet and spice and the 16 was spicy and dry but intense. The 17 was really soft on the finish with hardly any spice and faded away a bit too soon. Rank 15, 16, 17

Overall: The 15 was the most balanced of the 3 with something to like in all parts. The 17 had the best initial taste but fell short at the end. The 16 just didn't seem to live up to the other 2 and was more one (maybe 2) dimensional with spice and oak.  Rank 15, 17, 16.

It's interesting that I went back to each independently a bit later without the benefit of direct comparison and thought they were way more similar than when directly compared.

My wife tried them all as well and came to pretty much all the same conclusions except she preferred the taste of the 17 to the 15. I don't think she cared for the spicy kick at the end.

That 15 has a crazy good nose.

20171222_192231-1612x1209.jpg

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, flahute said:

The jig is already up on 4R private selections.

Let's try to keep quiet on the RRSiB before too many find out!

Flahute,

do you mean jig is up in that more folks are buying up the barrels and this is stressing the stocks (8-1/2 yrs now is pretty common). 

Or do you mean Four Roses will not be putting out near as many private barrels? (As has been rumored). 

After a day of prepping turkey breasts and salmon filets for our Christmas Eve dinner I decided on a pour of Bakers and a PS of KCSiB.  Two good choices.

Spent the day cleaning for company.  So finally kicking back with some HMK10...actually it's the last pour, just killed the bottle.

• I like it 1

Had some John J. Bowman and OGD114. Bowman was good, though I wasn’t paying much attention to identifying what specifically was good about it. I want to do a SBS with some Buffalo Trace offerings to see how the extra distillation and Virginia aging affects things. With the OGD114, my palate had a sort of lightbulb moment identifying a distinctive peanut flavor, which I had never so cleary and definitely recognized before. It’s growing on me as a go-to casual sipper.

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Flahute,

do you mean jig is up in that more folks are buying up the barrels and this is stressing the stocks (8-1/2 yrs now is pretty common). 

Or do you mean Four Roses will not be putting out near as many private barrels? (As has been rumored). 

I was only inferring the first point, but both points are true.

Stocks are very much stressed. In addition to the younger ages of barrels that is now common, your choice of barrels to choose from is also less. Used to be you would have all ten recipes to choose from. Now you get 6-7 recipes and certain ones, like OBSK, are non existent since they use this recipe so much in the LE's which also remain limited. (By that I mean that the LE bottle number remain the same whereas BT is now starting to bottle more of certain BTAC bottles.

On the latter, yes, the barrel program is now limited.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Did a SBSBS of 4RSmBLE 2015, 2016, & 2017. Thanks to a generous SBr for the 15 and 16 samples.

Color and Legs: They were all similar with the 16 being a little darker and the 17 looking a little clearer and brighter. The 15 had legs that last for-e-ver though. Rank 16, 15, 17

Nose: The 2015 literally made me say "woa" out loud. Brown sugar, juicy fruit, and spice all rolled up. The 2016 was by far the oakiest and a little harsh on the alcohol. The 2017 had a lot of the same smells as 15 but more muted. Rank 15, 17, 16

Palate and Feel: The 15 had a creamy entry with dark fruits, molasses, and that rye kick at the end. Very balanced. The 16 was heavy on rye spice with a ton of oak at the end. The 17 had a really juicy and fruity entry and was the softest feeling. It lacked that spice kick at the end. Rank 15, 17, 16

Finish: Again right along the same lines the 15 had a creamy lingering finish that was balanced with sweet and spice and the 16 was spicy and dry but intense. The 17 was really soft on the finish with hardly any spice and faded away a bit too soon. Rank 15, 16, 17

Overall: The 15 was the most balanced of the 3 with something to like in all parts. The 17 had the best initial taste but fell short at the end. The 16 just didn't seem to live up to the other 2 and was more one (maybe 2) dimensional with spice and oak.  Rank 15, 17, 16.

It's interesting that I went back to each independently a bit later without the benefit of direct comparison and thought they were way more similar than when directly compared.

My wife tried them all as well and came to pretty much all the same conclusions except she preferred the taste of the 17 to the 15. I don't think she cared for the spicy kick at the end.

That sounds like a very promising start for 17. In my experience FR takes ages to properly open up, it might become the next 15 down the line. I haven't had the 15, but most others. 17 was a standout even though I am not crazy about FR in general.

Other than the PVW15 this is the best bottle I currently have open. Insanely good

HuzzahIMG_0503.thumb.JPG.c390a914deb72c1df4c211603d401f4c.JPG

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Well done - thanks for sharing.

It is a GOOD day. Second day of Christmas break.

First pour from a new bottle of CEHTSiB. I don't buy this much because of how much it costs, but dang does it always hit the right notes.

Got back on the wheater train with a two finger pour of 1792SW that killed a bottle.

Then some '17 OFBB.

Finishing with some RY10yr SiB because I love the wheaters at Christmas.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Other than the PVW15 this is the best bottle I currently have open. Insanely good

Barrel # ?

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I was only inferring the first point, but both points are true.

Stocks are very much stressed. In addition to the younger ages of barrels that is now common, your choice of barrels to choose from is also less. Used to be you would have all ten recipes to choose from. Now you get 6-7 recipes and certain ones, like OBSK, are non existent since they use this recipe so much in the LE's which also remain limited. (By that I mean that the LE bottle number remain the same whereas BT is now starting to bottle more of certain BTAC bottles.

On the latter, yes, the barrel program is now limited.

So, in other words, stock up?

9 hours ago, DeepCover said:

CEHT SiB

it has never missed the mark

Out of town for a few days and this is the bottle I took with me. Probably be taking back very little. SMILEY

As deep cover said....no bad ones out there.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

Awesome SBS, clearly the 15 is the best, my favorite for sure. About the 2017, let it breathe a little and it will shine, always like that with those SmB's. 

Cheers! 

Will.

6 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Best single barrels on the market right now, never had a bad one. 

Cheers!

Will.

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

So, in other words, stock up?

Already too late. You needed to start a year and a half ago. Harder to find great ones now but they are still out there. If you find one, stock up for sure. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.