What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thought I'd Crack open the rare breed, so good! I always tell myself I should have bought 2 right away instead of going back in a few weeks. 91c6e8bc87f8a7ef211cf690b042651f.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

ca092f3242429cce48ae5501fc5851ce.jpg
Man this is good stuff. Wow. Bummer I didn’t snag more when I grabbed this one last year. I’m under orders from my wife to bring the bunker volume down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

57 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I'm having a pour of a Jefferson's Ocean batch 7 cask strength. This is one of the most strange bourbon's I've ever had. There's something really unique on the palate that I can't quite place. I don't really get the saltiness that people usually mention with this, though my wife had a taste and said "salty wet dog" is what she got from it. The finish is really nice, rich and and long.

I was worried that this would be a bog standard bourbon and it certainly is not that, though I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. More research is needed.

Does anyone know where Jefferson's sources the bourbon for this stuff? It says Kentucky, so not MGP, but other than that I don't have a clue. If I had to guess I would say Heaven Hill, the more I sip on this the more it reminds me of Henry McKenna.

I never made that connection though there has certainly been variation in Jefferson's over the years, these days I consistently find their stuff kind of bitter I thought initially that was just a note I found in Ocean but it's there in the SB these days and even the Rum Cask which I fooled myself into thinking might be good.

• I like it 1

Over the long Christmas weekend, my visiting relatives and I killed a freshly opened bottle of Blanton’s and 90% full OF1920, and put some hefty dents in some of my other bottles. Thankfully I have 2 store pick Blanton’s and another 1920 on-deck, as those two are very near top of my list for bottles that are relatively available.

Edited by BigSkyDrams

Drinking a glass of circa 1999ish OGD 86, damn tasty pour halfway through this Liter bottle, I'll miss it when it's gone.

• I like it 1

Ok, time to break out the good stuff for my Christmas-New Years vacation.  Starting it off by opening up a new '17 GTS.  Let's do this!!

WIN_20171227_223539.JPG

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

ca092f3242429cce48ae5501fc5851ce.jpg
Man this is good stuff. Wow. Bummer I didn’t snag more when I grabbed this one last year. I’m under orders from my wife to bring the bunker volume down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol did u get that EC12 store pick? Same place had a Russel's store pick not too long ago.

Ok, time to break out the good stuff for my Christmas-New Years vacation.  Starting it off by opening up a new '17 GTS.  Let's do this!!

WIN_20171227_223539.thumb.JPG.c4e635256931c8c1d150eeb1946fb99a.JPG

You don’t waste anytime.
  • I like it 1

Figured this would be a great blend 50/50 WP 10yr SP and some OC8yr. Take the sweetness of the OC and spice of the Canadian rye and figured it would be a great combination. Doesn’t seem to work out.

86a3fbf1515776a21fd26546d78b7127.jpg

Just a couple of regular pours last night while watching the Purdue Arizona bowl game.  OF Statesman & BT.

12 hours ago, reeko said:

Thought I'd Crack open the rare breed, so good! I always tell myself I should have bought 2 right away instead of going back in a few weeks. 91c6e8bc87f8a7ef211cf690b042651f.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Very tasty, a favorite.

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I never made that connection though there has certainly been variation in Jefferson's over the years, these days I consistently find their stuff kind of bitter I thought initially that was just a note I found in Ocean but it's there in the SB these days and even the Rum Cask which I fooled myself into thinking might be good.

Yeah I get some bitterness from this for sure.

Have been impressed with the comments by WhiskeyBlender in the discussion of Joseph Magnus product.  As the Joseph Magnus product is not available to me in NJ, after reading a favorable review of the Wyoming Whiskey Double Cask on Drinkhacker and knowing of her involvement with that project, I bought this when I saw it at a local LS.  I'm delighted with the purchase.  The quality of the blend is obvious!  For what I assume to be young distillate, there is a great integration of flavors and while nothing really stands out - the whiskey just tastes great.  Vanilla barrel notes with an influence from the second maturation in port wine casks.  Can't wait for longer aged expressions.  Well done!  Will certainly get one more for the bunker.

IMG_0405.jpg

• I like it 3

Enjoying an afternoon pour of OWA SB from Dierbergs. A bit of butterscotch comes through, which I often get from wheaters. Trying to decide whether to fill a flask of this to take to the horse track tonight, or stick with beer.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, El Vino said:

Have been impressed with the comments by WhiskeyBlender in the discussion of Joseph Magnus product.  As the Joseph Magnus product is not available to me in NJ, after reading a favorable review of the Wyoming Whiskey Double Cask on Drinkhacker and knowing of her involvement with that project, I bought this when I saw it at a local LS.  I'm delighted with the purchase.  The quality of the blend is obvious!  For what I assume to be young distillate, there is a great integration of flavors and while nothing really stands out - the whiskey just tastes great.  Vanilla barrel notes with an influence from the second maturation in port wine casks.  Can't wait for longer aged expressions.  Well done!  Will certainly get one more for the bunker.

IMG_0405.jpg

My apologies:  the whiskey was aged in Pedro Jimenez sherry casks, not port casks.  It even says sherry casks on the label.  The influence is subtle but clearly more toward the bright red as opposed to the deeper port flavors.

Edited by El Vino

Old Forester "vertical":  86 Proof paper label; 100 proof paper label; Signature "Diamond" Label; Signature Script Label; 2015 Signature; 2017 Single Barrel Store Pick.  Will report in later with notes / results!  

FullSizeRender 139.jpg

4 minutes ago, Steven C said:

Old Forester "vertical":  86 Proof paper label; 100 proof paper label; Signature "Diamond" Label; Signature Script Label; 2015 Signature; 2017 Single Barrel Store Pick.  Will report in later with notes / results!  

Interesting SBS. Please let us know your results. 

I'm really liking HMK10bib and OGD114 as daily drinkers. I'm starting to think the you guys on here know what you're talking about. ;):lol:

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.