What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I've been reading a lot of praise for this one on here, but I'm still skeptical to pick it up as i'm worried it has even a hint of that regular JD taste. Does it resemble that at all or is it completely different and unique?

You mean the JD banana? It has that in spades. If you don't like the regular JD this one's probably not for you.

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

OK last one then that's it until after Santa stops by, thanks for the assist on the last one (WT12) David @beasled a very Merry Christmas to you and the Missus!

IMG_20171224_232723538.jpg

Thank you Kevin! Hope your trip to PA wasn't too traumatic thia year :D

Have a good one!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Thank you Kevin! Hope your trip to PA wasn't too traumatic thia year :D

Have a good one!

Christmas has been more Hallmark and less Griswald, it's been quite nice!

• I like it 1

Well, Christmas Eve was pretty great, as expected.    :)

The family (near and far) had gathered up at the little homestead from whence they left those many a year past, and special pours from my stash were shared around. 

Gary helped me to open and taste the first pours from this year's William Larue Weller (excellent!), and helped as well with the evaluation of a couple mingles with which I'd been experimenting (one good, one great!). 

He also assisted me in my efforts to finish a couple low-fill bottles; specifically the Booker's 25th Anniversary I'd been saving for such an occasion, and the last of a gift-bottle he'd given me of Willet's Family Reserve Rye from a couple years ago.

The presents were distributed and torn open, and the anticipated glee was seen in all the family faces.   :D

All in all, it was a wonderful time, and the blanket of snow which fell (and continued throughout the day) made it a special Christmas Eve.

I'm anticipating shoveling out the car, and clearing the walks and driveway in preparation for our hour-long trek over the snowy roads to visit more family from my bride's side this afternoon.    I won't mind the honest toil, and in fact will enjoy the clean fresh air and lovely white covering over everything.

Here is my wish for everyone to enjoy the blessings of family and friends this Christmas Season and find ways to experience it as deeply as possible.       Remember, it is guaranteed to none of us.

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Christmas has been more Hallmark and less Griswald, it's been quite nice!

Glad to hear it!

• I like it 1

After killing two FR Private Selections yesterday, working on the last few pours of a Russelll’s Reserve PS from the 7th Floor - a Bayway selection from a couple years ago.  Putting house up for sale and my wife thinks that the bar is too cluttered... Oh, the RR is stellar...

• I like it 1

Okay, so maybe it's filled with an OWA store pick and not the real thing, but still the presentation is nice.

The wife gave me this decanter today.

image.jpeg

• I like it 7

On 12/24/2017 at 11:15 AM, 0895 said:

Thanks.

I need to check if I have that one... :)

Did you mail order it from my local store? 

Yeah a while back. They sold out quick :)

tonights line up. Merry Christmas allIMG_0518.thumb.JPG.18bde51270bb93286c89ca5dbc3018c3.JPG

Edited by Government Beard
  • I like it 2

Went to my parents house for Christmas day dinner, so delicious! Had some good rye whiskey there. Now I'm having some wsr. 2dc8918e8cde3e771648a70dc11ec5b7.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Was going to open this on Christmas Day but woke up with a mild cold so waited to today.

The nose on this is really interesting I had to pull out the loaf of German rye to compare but it was the sour part you get from baked rye bread and the most distinct dried fruits, like Christmas. I compared to some WP barrel proof the Alberta stuff I had lying around. I normally like this but it smelled like just ethanol compared to it, nothing going on.

Palate and finish the best rye spice you could imagine. Really good stuff. Not $300 or whatever people are trying to get but definitely worth $80-$110 to buy once or twice a year.

476f85651c7d55a7491169e1747250de.jpg

Had to pull out another barrel proof whiskey I had lying around to ensure it was just the WP that had nothing going on. Still really limited compared to the THH.

399aa86955d94ee348a83d2d95159fcd.jpg

• I like it 2

At a friend’s drinking some craft beer (Dark Lord, CBS, ‘10 Founders Nemesis, etc) when I spot this bottle. Of course I ask him about it. He said someone left it at his house, so he told he to take it. I don’t need to be told twice.  It’s about 1/3 full. 

27AF3BF5-5761-4254-8D2E-E3C25496387D.jpeg

• I like it 4

At a friend’s drinking some craft beer (Dark Lord, CBS, ‘10 Founders Nemesis, etc) when I spot this bottle. Of course I ask him about it. He said someone left it at his house, so he told he to take it. I don’t need to be told twice.  It’s about 1/3 full. 
27AF3BF5-5761-4254-8D2E-E3C25496387D.thumb.jpeg.f09271498c0e1a19d57ffd9661e3f5cd.jpeg
Lucky! If I could find it here I would definitely pick it up. The NAS isn't bad, but I still prefer the stated 12 year old one. One of my favorites.

• I like it 1

Finally opened the first ORVW I’ve owned. Did a little sbs with a short pour of OWA. I really, really wanted the ORVW not to be as good as everyone says it is so I could convince myself to avoid chasing it again next year but...it’s pretty damn good. 

73A83013-35D7-4E71-B714-2AF6DBD69344.jpeg

Edited by NYCBourbon
Added photo
  • I like it 3

I'm really enjoying a 12 year old Elijah Craig Store Pick right now.  Kicking myself for not picking up another one.  They had 2 barrel picks and I picked up one of each, but I hear the 2nd one (8 year old) is not as good.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

I'm really enjoying a 12 year old Elijah Craig Store Pick right now.  Kicking myself for not picking up another one.  They had 2 barrel picks and I picked up one of each, but I hear the 2nd one (8 year old) is not as good.

I feel you. Got my mom an EC12 pick for an early Christmas gift. Cracked it open with her  a weekend or two ago and it was stellar...went back to grab myself one and they were gone. I’ve been kicking myself since. I’ve tried a few impeccable EC picks lately.

1 hour ago, reeko said:

Lucky! If I could find it here I would definitely pick it up. The NAS isn't bad, but I still prefer the stated 12 year old one. One of my favorites.

Not too many years ago I would pick this up for $20 which in hindsight was a great value but recently tried this against some similarily aged barrel proofs and have to admit I levitate to the higher proofs.

I forgot to add. I follow a secondary bourbon Facebook market and AS EC12 goes for $60-$80 a bottle.  The boom is far from over.

Edited by Bbstout

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Was going to open this on Christmas Day but woke up with a mild cold so waited to today.

The nose on this is really interesting I had to pull out the loaf of German rye to compare but it was the sour part you get from baked rye bread and the most distinct dried fruits, like Christmas. I compared to some WP barrel proof the Alberta stuff I had lying around. I normally like this but it smelled like just ethanol compared to it, nothing going on.

Palate and finish the best rye spice you could imagine. Really good stuff. Not $300 or whatever people are trying to get but definitely worth $80-$110 to buy once or twice a year.

476f85651c7d55a7491169e1747250de.jpg

Had to pull out another barrel proof whiskey I had lying around to ensure it was just the WP that had nothing going on. Still really limited compared to the THH.

399aa86955d94ee348a83d2d95159fcd.jpg

I had a free pour of the 2016 THH tonight, and as you know, I'm not really a fan of rye. This was easily the best rye I've ever had, and it's not even close. I certainly see the interest in this bottle. I hear the 2017 is better than the 2016. I think you did well with that 2017 THH score. 

Thank the good lord I didn't wake up with a hangover.

things are getting back to some sense of normalcy. Little pour of RHF

Huzzah

IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.d341eb7446d74961b8ac8788a982aeca.JPG

• I like it 4

Was chatting with a store owner tonight about some of the harder to find things and mentioned how I've only come across OF BB for $400 outside of a raffle. He pulled his own bottle of this years release from behind the counter and gave me a pour. 1) That added to the reasons I stop by whenever I'm in the area 2) Now I really wish I could find OF BB at a reasonable price haha. 

• I like it 2

Couple classics tonight really hitting the spot. W12 getting chocolate and some nice leather, dried cherries as I get a lot with BT products on the ER.

7aa598ed77822709795c077e2e265b88.jpg

a41ccab7258cb7c0edb16d4d37382055.jpg

Doing a sbs of these two $55 mid-ninety proofers. These are both incredibly good, but I’m surprising myself by favoring the OF Statesman. 

774D7B2D-AB9A-4C57-A543-443E66D5BEF4.jpeg

• I like it 1

Not too many years ago I would pick this up for $20 which in hindsight was a great value but recently tried this against some similarily aged barrel proofs and have to admit I levitate to the higher proofs.

I forgot to add. I follow a secondary bourbon Facebook market and AS EC12 goes for $60-$80 a bottle.  The boom is far from over.
I agree with you, I definitely gravitate more to higher proofed bourbons. But this still hits the spot. What does the NAS go for in your area? Current it's about $50 for us, I can only imagine how much it would be for the 12 year, if available.

I'm having a pour of a Jefferson's Ocean batch 7 cask strength. This is one of the most strange bourbon's I've ever had. There's something really unique on the palate that I can't quite place. I don't really get the saltiness that people usually mention with this, though my wife had a taste and said "salty wet dog" is what she got from it. The finish is really nice, rich and and long.

I was worried that this would be a bog standard bourbon and it certainly is not that, though I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. More research is needed.

Does anyone know where Jefferson's sources the bourbon for this stuff? It says Kentucky, so not MGP, but other than that I don't have a clue. If I had to guess I would say Heaven Hill, the more I sip on this the more it reminds me of Henry McKenna.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.