What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Welcome that's a good one. First time I opened one of these a few years back I didn't appreciate it but have learned to really like them. Also opening these are a PIA.

Salut!

5c5ecda83db13340f04cdb4c6694f983.jpg
I didn't like it either at first, it was too strong for me. At one point I decided to get a bookers and I got hooked and revisited kc single barrel. Haha tell me about opening it being a pita, it creates such a mess plus I've somehow gotten a few pieces of the rubber in my drink :/

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Having a good pour of saos 7 year. It's sweeter than I thought it would be. I'm not sure if I like it or not, it's good though. f08591d849cbcbcbb6d2d1cd67ebfdc6.jpg

• I like it 1

ECBP batch 12 is really hitting the spot this evening. One of my favorites, so I'm happy that I have a few backups in the bunker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, reeko said:

I mentioned in another thread that I live in Canada, so there aren't too many options here, especially for private selections.

Why is that?  Do the Canadian people just not like bourbon or is the government making it difficult for importers?

9 hours ago, reeko said:

Having a good pour of saos 7 year. It's sweeter than I thought it would be. I'm not sure if I like it or not, it's good though. f08591d849cbcbcbb6d2d1cd67ebfdc6.jpg

Should be getting to my bottle soon.

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Keeping it in the Heaven Hill fold with some William Heaven Hill 14yr 115 proof. Exceptional stuff. No woodiness detectable in this one either.

I'd love to try this one. 

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Wrapping presents decided some Turkey would fit the bill, MK 17 is winning tonight.

Absolutely love the Charlie Brown Xmas tree. FWIW, we almost bought one this year. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, reeko said:

Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking for a bit seeing all the wonderful bourbons you can buy. I mentioned in another thread that I live in Canada, so there aren't too many options here, especially for private selections. But I'm very excited because my brother recently went to the states last month and got me a 4 roses obsv, which you can't get here at all. So excited! Next year I'm going to the states a few times so I'm hoping to pick up a few more bourbons I can't get here. Any recommendations?

Welcome to SB.  We have a few Canadians who post here and more who lurk; perhaps they can help you find stores close to "the line".  My suggestion on your trips South is: Do not ignore the lower shelves (i.e., the cheaper) brands.  Basic KC is one (of about 20 hahaha) I keep on hand, and if you liked the single barrel, you might find the basic one acceptable.  As you may know, there are a dozen or so major distillers that produce most of the bourbon sold in the US.  If I were starting out, I'd try to buy a few from each for comparison purposes and to get a sense of what I like and what is just OK.  Check out the Chuck Cowdery topic from 2010 under "New to Straight Bourbon" titled "How to get started" which has some hints and information on the distillers.

Questions?  Just ask.  Many of us enjoy talking about bourbon almost as much as we like to drink it.

• I like it 2

As predicted, Galvin 0791 and I had a few nice pours at our family get together yesterday.   ^_^ Mike and I enjoyed pours of SAOS 10 (Sarah), 07 WLW, SB HHSS # 2, and Blanton's SFTB. Too many bourbons, too little time. We didn't even get to a few others.  :P  Family, food, fun and games(?), and a few nice pours. "It don't git much bettern' that Vern." :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Went to dinner with the in-laws the other night and, like a lot of restaurants, the place had a slim bourbon selection. Went with WT101 neat and was perfectly happy with that pour. Great stuff.

Edited by Bourbinvestor
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I'd love to try this one. 

It's pretty spendy stuff. Hard to justify the price relative to what is regularly available so you buy this one for the uniqueness factor.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Merry Grinchmas.

fe227219dd6c1313e1355f5ec86453f0.jpg

Curious to know why this stuff curdled when its jazzed up with a shot of bourbon but Bailey's doesn't when jazzed up with a shot of Jameson...

^Asking wrong guy.

Opened this up very different nose and palate on the OBSF but both are well done. I think I like the OBSV.

4f9d77391104c84d1ee09d3d0fb62ceb.jpg

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, Government Beard said:

IMG_0504.thumb.JPG.256052801e6d8f4457a8888ebf305aa0.JPG

Thanks.

I need to check if I have that one... :)

Did you mail order it from my local store? 

• I like it 1

So far so good. Some Wild Turkey 12y from 1999, then a CEHT BP 127.5. Third pour, a Stagg Jr batch 3. I’ll be finishing my only bottle of PVW 15 2013. For now, I’m drinking some beer. Merry Christmas y’all. I wish you all the best. 

Cheers! 

Will.

C8D16F6E-CF0F-4FF1-84E3-67988BFAC300.thumb.jpeg.db08c88f40eaadabe1ab3c2bc441cff4.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

So far so good. Some Wild Turkey 12y from 1999, then a CEHT BP 127.5. Third pour, a Stagg Jr batch 3. I’ll be finishing my only bottle of PVW 15 2013. For now, I’m drinking some beer. Merry Christmas y’all. I wish you all the best. 

Cheers! 

Will.

C8D16F6E-CF0F-4FF1-84E3-67988BFAC300.thumb.jpeg.db08c88f40eaadabe1ab3c2bc441cff4.jpeg

Will, you might feel my jealousy from here regarding that 12 yr Turkey. I bet that is fantastic. 

Why is that?  Do the Canadian people just not like bourbon or is the government making it difficult for importers?
I think it's more of a government thing. They're pretty strict about liquor coming into our province. I would say the majority of people here like scotch, you can find pretty much all of them here. We have a bourbon bar here in my city and they carry some bourbons you can't get anywhere here, such a pvw or wlw. It's about $50 a shot if I want to try it. It's probably worth it since there's no way I'll be able to get that on my own, even with my trip to the states.

• I like it 1

Should be getting to my bottle soon.
I was looking at the 10 year and single barrel one, don't know if it's worth getting. I enjoyed my first pour of this one. In case you were wondering, Sarah bottled this one too :)

Welcome to SB.  We have a few Canadians who post here and more who lurk; perhaps they can help you find stores close to "the line".  My suggestion on your trips South is: Do not ignore the lower shelves (i.e., the cheaper) brands.  Basic KC is one (of about 20 hahaha) I keep on hand, and if you liked the single barrel, you might find the basic one acceptable.  As you may know, there are a dozen or so major distillers that produce most of the bourbon sold in the US.  If I were starting out, I'd try to buy a few from each for comparison purposes and to get a sense of what I like and what is just OK.  Check out the Chuck Cowdery topic from 2010 under "New to Straight Bourbon" titled "How to get started" which has some hints and information on the distillers.

Questions?  Just ask.  Many of us enjoy talking about bourbon almost as much as we like to drink it.
Thanks for the welcome Harry! I agree in trying different brands from different distilleries. We have the basic stuff here, like most BT products, and wild turkey products. I've had some Stagg Jr, it's almost impossible to find here. Some blanton, and a few other ones. So many to name! I'll definitely check those places out, I get pretty excited just thinking about trying some new ones. I look forward to hearing from the other Canadians as well.

Going to the in laws for Christmas dinner in a few hours, don't know which drink to take. They don't really drink, but I'm taking my own flask for some cheer. Thinking either some wt101, bakers, or redbreast 12 cask strength. It's hard to choose...

24 minutes ago, reeko said:

Going to the in laws for Christmas dinner in a few hours, don't know which drink to take. They don't really drink, but I'm taking my own flask for some cheer. Thinking either some wt101, bakers, or redbreast 12 cask strength. It's hard to choose...

Those are all good. Hard to go wrong!

33 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Will, you might feel my jealousy from here regarding that 12 yr Turkey. I bet that is fantastic. 

I don’t want to brag about it, but it’s the best of the bunch for sure. 

Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, reeko said:

I was looking at the 10 year and single barrel one, don't know if it's worth getting. I enjoyed my first pour of this one. In case you were wondering, Sarah bottled this one too :)

I also have those 2, but have not gotten to them yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.