What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rhetoric 23 tonight. This is very similar to Barterhouse, but unsurprisingly takes the oak even further. This is one of the driest bourbons I've ever had. Sip after sip I'm astonished at how dry this is, and how well it works. This teeters on the edge of being overoaked but doesn't quite get there. There's still a nice bit of sweetness and spice to balance the dry oak and leather. Overall this is great. I'm real curious to see what happens with Rhetoric 24 and 25, if those get further off balance or if they manage to keep it together.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ok, time to break out the good stuff for my Christmas-New Years vacation.  Starting it off by opening up a new '17 GTS.  Let's do this!!

WIN_20171227_223539.JPG

I opened by GTS recently and loved it! What did you think?

On December 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM, reeko said:

I agree with you, I definitely gravitate more to higher proofed bourbons. But this still hits the spot. What does the NAS go for in your area? Current it's about $50 for us, I can only imagine how much it would be for the 12 year, if available.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you are in Europe or Australia. EC NAS runs around $25 average in my market.

I'm guessing you are in Europe or Australia. EC NAS runs around $25 average in my market.
No, I'm in Canada. You would think the price here would be more reasonable. At least that's what I would want.

On that topic, I passed up a ceht bottled in bond for $98. Is it worth that price? I've never seen it before in any store, so when I saw it yesterday I was tempted to buy it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Pour of the Port tonight

IMG_0533.thumb.JPG.89648da55ad807bb3cdad687a02f5b73.JPG

Positives:

- Nice jam flavor and bourbon sweetness throughout the palate.

- Actually glad I bunkered a few bottles as 1792 is no longer making this. (For now)

- 2 years in a Port wine barrel I believe is the longest stated in the bourbon world. 

negatives:

- a bit thin. And no finish whatsoever which is probably due to the proof. Much better than angels envy and much less than MWND (Rye).

Excuse the long winded breakdown.

huzzah

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Pour of the Port tonight

IMG_0533.thumb.JPG.89648da55ad807bb3cdad687a02f5b73.JPG

Positives:

- Nice jam flavor and bourbon sweetness throughout the palate.

- Actually glad I bunkered a few bottles as 1792 is no longer making this. (For now)

- 2 years in a Port wine barrel I believe is the longest stated in the bourbon world. 

negatives:

- a bit thin. And no finish whatsoever which is probably due to the proof. Much better than angels envy and much less than MWND (Rye).

Excuse the long winded breakdown.

huzzah

The breakdown is appreciated! This is one I hope to run in to at some point (the only variation I'm missing out of the recent lineup).  

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

The breakdown is appreciated! This is one I hope to run in to at some point (the only variation I'm missing out of the recent lineup).  

Still I'll see if from time to time at least around here. Hope you can track it down. Happy hunting!

• I like it 1

Having some 2017 FRSmBLE. Its faring much better tonight without a sbs with 2015. Some open time really helped the nose it seems, too.

58 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

1792 is releasing the 10 year version of this in ‘18. (I think the first renditionwas 8 years). For some reason I want to say itll be out in February. 

• I like it 1

Just opened this. Been over a week since I had any OWA and it’s as good as I remember.

Wanted to post this in the, “Bourbon In Movies” thread or “what did you open” thread but couldn’t find either.

Watching the Ranch and had to snap a pic of Mr McDowell pulling out the PVW20. This is and heck the 15 are my unicorns.

f4a8f03e07ffd1ca59ffd5f4e8ccb312.jpg

A store pick of 4R OESF from a couple years back. I have had nothing but great success with the "F" recipes and it is a great pleasure each and every time I draw a pour from this bottle.

14 hours ago, reeko said:

On that topic, I passed up a ceht bottled in bond for $98. Is it worth that price? 

Which one? All standard CEHT's are BIB except the barrel proof. Big difference in prices between the options.

• I like it 1

Had some 10 year old Maker's Mark last night. It was fantastic. We all need to pester Maker's until they make an older version of their product available. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

1792 is releasing the 10 year version of this in ‘18. (I think the first renditionwas 8 years). For some reason I want to say itll be out in February. 

I'll be keeping an out for that then!

14 minutes ago, Bourbinvestor said:

Howdy, Gig'em and Yippee Ki-yay Aggies.

20171229_155353.jpg

That was a premature Yippe Ki-Yay... :(

Vacation continues, tonight PVW15
WIN_20171229_003614.thumb.JPG.1df79c854c8231e7de71eb63271d8133.JPG

Man all these vacation posts, still waiting for you to pull out the good stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.