What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Jeff 10! I think that the only 'merican released Alberta distillate I never got to try.

It's not very far off Masterson's really, though it was priced better for slightly higher proof.

Jeff 10! I think that the only 'merican released Alberta distillate I never got to try.

I remember the last batch of Jeff 10 before it disappeared was Kentucky rye of unknown provenance, and I passed on a few at Total Wine at like $30. They were gone the next time I was there and would have picked them up. Just another in a long line of my whiskey shoulda woulda couldas.
  • I like it 1

Man, Jeff 10! I bought this with much excitement after trying Whistle Pig 10, and then gifted it to my dad and never got to taste it. He still says it was his favorite American whiskey. Well, he doesn't know a thing about American whiskey, but thinking back to all the actually high end stuff I've sent him so far, it really must've been good.

23 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having a very good pour of Jef10y tonight. Man,IMG_2526.thumb.JPG.522617c48b89b9d86613e2af5030e05c.JPG I wish I would have bought some more of this. 

I wish I could have found more after the first taste of this. Bought one leaving two on the shelf. Tasted that night and was at the store the next day to buy the other two. Never seen at another location. One of my favorite ryes.

So I opened this years (2017) Handy today. 127.2p / 63.6%.

Holy Crap is it good!  Forgive me, but I hated last years (2016).

This years has that beautiful leathery taste going on from the Handy I loved several years ago.

Once the initial leather starts to fade, delicious baking spices pop up (think cinnamon, nutmeg, & clove) and warm your mouth.

Follow the spices is a nice little fire on the back of the tongue, but it doesn't burn.....just keeps you warm... and happy.

Gosh this stuff is good!  This bottle is not going to last long at all, especially with my wife enjoying ryes...:wub:

Since I got this bottle blindly w/o trying 2017 THH first, I'm really glad its living up to everything I wanted it to be.  Some reviews have said its the opposite of last years and I'm sitting here right now thanking the "bourbon gods" for that.

Just freaking delicious.  Period!

IMAG2928_1.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Last night I opened and had my first pours of MWND and the Kentucky Owl Rye.  I really enjoyed both.  Need to revisit further, but I think I preferred the Kentucky Owl.

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Last night I opened and had my first pours of MWND and the Kentucky Owl Rye.  I really enjoyed both.  Need to revisit further, but I think I preferred the Kentucky Owl.

Anybody know where I put my MWND?  It's not in the car trunk which is empty of bourbon and rye for the first time in seven months, and I don't see it on the shelf.  I KNOW I bought one in December.

• I like it 2

45 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Rittlepig blend (leaning WP @ 60/40) really served as a great warm up pour. 

Thanks for this.  Pikesville 110 has been getting heavy use here (Manhattans mostly), so I have an unopened 750 of Ritt (to accompany a 3/4 full Ritt) I seriously thought of gifting.  I also have more than enough WP (just the basics) I picked up at a discount when Dave Pickerell was in town for a tasting.  What a wonderful way to free up some shelf space.

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Anybody know where I put my MWND?  It's not in the car trunk which is empty of bourbon and rye for the first time in seven months, and I don't see it on the shelf.  I KNOW I bought one in December.

Uh oh ......... is Mrs. Harry playing mind games with you by hiding your stash?

Another thought just popped into my head. December of what year did you buy it? :P

• I like it 1

This one isn't bad at all, going to follow it up with some KC Rye to see how it fares sbs.

IMG_20180103_202022711.jpg

15 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This one isn't bad at all, going to follow it up with some KC Rye to see how it fares sbs.

IMG_20180103_202022711.jpg

What do you think about the regular? I have absolutely no love for it, but if this fares markedly better...

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

What do you think about the regular? I have absolutely no love for it, but if this fares markedly better...

It's been a while but young and watery would be my review, it's my older brother's regular pour.  This is substantially better, it definitely screams BIB and reminds me more of one of the HH BIB's than say Rittenhouse.  I had a pour of KC Rye afterwards and found the KC richer but with a shorter finish.  Might have to SBS with Rittenhouse next.

8 year old Pensilvania distilled Old Overholt, my friend sent the last of a bottle that she discovered at her father's house. It had likely been open for decades. I don't usually take detailed notes but this one seemed important.

Color: Tawny, or so says my wife

Nose: Mint/mentol, raisen, spice, cherry cough syrup

Palate: Sweet, spice, oak, more oak, nuttiness, astringent bitter tea

Finish: Long, oak, fruit, reminds me of cognac or armagnac

Overall really nice.

26692984_10105006466912140_769991451_o.jpg

• I like it 3

Okay, this is working ever so slightly today at last. After sitting on my shelf for months, and now in the glass for ~1hr, raw ethanol has dissipated enough to get some enjoyment out of this. I still had to pour from a glencairn into this glass though. Still rough.

IMG_20180106_202429.jpg

Lots of barely and spice on this. But probably could of used a bit more time in the wood.

Huzzah

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.0d3b0e0c7ac1196bfba3de52af40c49a.JPG

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Pouring my 3 favorite Ryes from last year on this fine evening. 

That's pretty lofty company for the Double Rye!.  Curious as to what store pick / finish it had.

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Pouring my 3 favorite Ryes from last year on this fine evening. 

IMG_20180116_215117885.thumb.jpg.7a6e8161145544f9e50cfc3ec60b3f66.jpg

Looking forward to cracking that Owl! Just need to make some room for it first...

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.