What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Willet 3 year Cask Strength 110 proof..been working on this for a while, would love to have this at 7-10 yrs old. 

• I like it 1

Hochstadter's Vatted, I love this rye. I bought a few bottles all around the same time, wondering when this one goes if the next one will be as good.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Hochstadter's Vatted, I love this rye. I bought a few bottles all around the same time, wondering when this one goes if the next one will be as good.

I love it as well. I've had quite a lot over the last 2 years.  It is getting much harder to find though, and I only have 1 bottle left.

It had been quite a while.  I opened a current bottle of Rittenhouse.  It seems more oak and spice than I remember - interesting.

I opened a Knob Creek Single Barrel rye pick from Ace Spirits (barrel #5722) and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't like the standard Knob Creek Rye *at all* so this is quite the upgrade!

• I like it 1

Must be something in the ether... I too am enjoying HWRR. This is an older batch that I enjoyed but kind of forgot about while I explored other stuff, but has held up beautifully! 

IMG_20180428_203515.jpg

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

Bulleit 95 Rye - there's no there there.  If one was in the forgetful stage of life they'd be hard pressed to remember what it is they were drinking, it's so mild.

On 4/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, FasterHorses said:

Willet 3 year Cask Strength 110 proof..been working on this for a while, would love to have this at 7-10 yrs old. 

I love the Willett 3 year very very much.  Things are going to be crazy interesting in a few years, as I agree, at 7-10 it's going to be marvelous!  

14 hours ago, DCFan said:

Bulleit 95 Rye - there's no there there.  If one was in the forgetful stage of life they'd be hard pressed to remember what it is they were drinking, it's so mild.

Bulleit Rye, my girls very favorite neat.    "Tastes like cherry cola on the finish."  

On 4/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, dad-proof said:

Must be something in the ether... I too am enjoying HWRR. This is an older batch that I enjoyed but kind of forgot about while I explored other stuff, but has held up beautifully! 

IMG_20180428_203515.jpg

What’s the sticker on this bottle?

2 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

What’s the sticker on this bottle?

I'm traveling at the moment so can't give you the exact text, but it was for an award the whiskey had won that year, maybe San Francisco spirits... It was not for any type of private pick.

• I like it 1

Putting the 5yo on the test track… doesn't taste familiar, which is a positive thing.

IMG_9610.thumb.JPG.57f328337868fee5e74fd700b04243fd.JPG

• I like it 2

On 6/9/2018 at 11:22 AM, mikeydk said:

I love the Willett 3 year very very much.  Things are going to be crazy interesting in a few years, as I agree, at 7-10 it's going to be marvelous!  

It's a unique rye to me. It's very grassy and herbal without the MGP fill flavor. The 3 yr bottle I have is 112.6.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

It's a unique rye to me. It's very grassy and herbal without the MGP fill flavor. The 3 yr bottle I have is 112.6.

The one I'm spending time with is 108.2  which sounds more like the temperature in Phoenix in July.  :)  The 2 and 3 year Willett's all seem to have that grassy flavor/scent, and that's ok, I'm very fond of it.  

So I was at Total Wine and I saw this random Straight Single Barrel Rye with no age statement so I assumed 4 year old MGP, but I turned the bottle around and saw that this was Kozuba and Sons who recently apparently moved from Poland to St. Petersburg, FL, I had read a story about them needing to remove their whiskey from the barrels while importing. Considering the source I decided to buy a bottle I like the Barrell Rye Batch 2 which has some percentage of Kozuba in it. This is actually pretty enjoyable (especially for a Spirits Direct that isn't indie scotch or Rum) glad I grabbed it. interesting change of pace.

y4mw-3sOD68QEnalIKZOGlMfCfJ-YD34G65pyN23

• I like it 1

Rittenhouse 100 BIB (DSP 354 - I wonder how the newer DSP 1 compares?).  Sipped a little, then made the remainder into a Manhattan (3:1 with Cocchi di Torino).  IMHO, there is no need to use anything more expensive than Rittenhouse to make a great Manhattan if you use a good vermouth.     Salud! 

13 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Rittenhouse 100 BIB (DSP 354 - I wonder how the newer DSP 1 compares?).  Sipped a little, then made the remainder into a Manhattan (3:1 with Cocchi di Torino).  IMHO, there is no need to use anything more expensive than Rittenhouse to make a great Manhattan if you use a good vermouth.     Salud! 

Not everybody will agree, but I think that old bottle is something else entirely. If only I could find one. New Ritt is meh, redundant when you can get Pikesville imho.

Edit: the new Ritt would work just fine for a Manhattan though. I was thinking about sipping.

Edited by Kane

11 hours ago, Kane said:

Not everybody will agree, but I think that old bottle is something else entirely. If only I could find one. New Ritt is meh, redundant when you can get Pikesville imho.

Edit: the new Ritt would work just fine for a Manhattan though. I was thinking about sipping.

I've never had the old Ritt so I can't comment, but the new is delicious IMO; DSP-1 & 31. I primarily drink it neat. 2 bottles of Ritt to 1 bottle of Pikesville has kept me from acquiring the Pike.

Stumbled across a forgotten sample I got during a whiskey white elephant event last year; so finishing off the last oz (of the 2 oz sample bottle) of some VWFRR.  

You know how smells have a strong trigger to memory?  For me, the nose on the VWFRR takes me immediately back to standing in SmokinJoe's dining room - complete with GBS flag hanging, and a table of whiskey to match none I've encountered before (or since!)  Happy Friday SB!

• I like it 1

Opened a SA OS rye I bought a few years ago and did a sbs with a recently opened Ritt bib. Enjoyed both, the Ritt was hotter as its youth made itself known but never in a harsh way, the OS had the layering of additional age and a more complex spice vs the spice heat tug of war in the Ritt bib. I have been curious about that MGP rye for a long time and a git apprehensive given all the dill references. I enjoy dill but didn’t know if I would welcome it in a whiskey, I didn’t find an overt “dillyness” certainly nothing off putting, this would be a repeat buy if it were still available. 

In the absence of OS, I am really hoping Dads Hat shows well when I get around to one as I have very high hopes for it. Ritt impressed so much that Pikesville will be aquired when the Ritt is gone.

Oh and on a side note my OS is one of the vaunted Sarah bottlings and as such its no doubt imbued with all the mystique associated with her powers so it cannot be compared with a bottle from anyone else on the SA bottling line.

Edited by kcgumbohead

Sipping my 6yr Redemption BP next to a sample of 7yr my co-worker gave me. Can't really tell much of a difference to be honest.

Edited by Kane

It's come a long way, after the three year I was thinking that it was going to be at least 3 or 4 years until Willett knocked it out of the park but what a difference a year makes, they are getting close to my taste buds. @Marekv8 I'm guessing that 5 year bottle you have is pretty damn nice. 

y4mjO0-BaYrhXcb8CA16dc-_j4BNtDBR2sNxpXMA

• I like it 1

HW Yippie Ki Yay, and even though I normally like this a lot, today I'm discovering that this can be seriously grating on all senses when it doesn't work. Wish I'd poured a WT instead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.