What Rye Are You Drinking, Winter 2017/2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, reeko said:

I feel like you and I have very similar tastes. Have you ever had lot 40 cask strength? If not, try to find some. It's normal lot 40 on steroids.

What's your favorite rye? And of course 101 never disappoints! Along with its rare breed cousin.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

The only Lot 40 BP I've had is a couple of bar pours, and yes, it is very much in my sweet spot. 

My favorite current production rye is Handy.  Due to its rarity, my regular go to pours are the 101 and/or baby Saz (used to be Dickel, but I seem to be off the MGP kick this winter). 

14 hours ago, reeko said:

I feel like you and I have very similar tastes. Have you ever had lot 40 cask strength? If not, try to find some. It's normal lot 40 on steroids.

What's your favorite rye? And of course 101 never disappoints! Along with its rare breed cousin.

Is it something you have seen in the US? My understanding was that there wasn't a lot and it all or mostly in Canada.

Is it something you have seen in the US? My understanding was that there wasn't a lot and it all or mostly in Canada.
You're right, they made about 5,000 bottles. I read that they were distributing it around Canada and the US. I'm in Canada so I was able to find two bottles, it might be harder for those in the US. I figured that if anybody sees it by chance, they shouldn't hesitate picking it up. Especially if they're a rye fan.

Not really a Rye Guy, but picked this up today and it is quite tasty. Been a few years since I bought a bottle of this rye, but might start branching out and try some different ones. Not as good as the a Kentucky Owl Rye I bought last fall, but still good.8344c3888e67f62e9e8af86602cfc2b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NDN98

Took down one of my bucket list unicorns while dusty hunting this week. 

While working in Frederick, MD I came across a bottle of Midwinter's Night Dram on the shelf at $130.  While the markup was annoying, I had to snatch it up as this is the first bottle of MWND I've ever seen in the wild. 

Had to open it up immediately, seize the day! 

Just amazing.  So unique, warming and holiday-spices abound.  Like holidays in a glass.  I've tucked the nearly full bottle away to try to savor it for awhile.  Yum. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying some lot 40 12 year cask strength. When I saw they had 5 bottles, I should have picked them all up. But that's just me being greedy heh. 3efcc0b580b344ea479aa3abb9c54155.jpg

Had a friend share some Kentucky Owl. Wasn’t sure if it would live up to the hype but I was fairly impressed. Especially since I didn’t have to buy the bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finished off a very good bottle of HWRR BS. This is one of the best I’ve had in the HW line. Wish I had a backup. 

AD2120B8-9818-42DF-AFBB-238DF88A0119.thumb.jpeg.fb6b30481797d303c4f840917f36baa7.jpeg

On 3/14/2018 at 7:17 PM, LCWoody said:

Finished off a very good bottle of HWRR BS. This is one of the best I’ve had in the HW line. Wish I had a backup. 

AD2120B8-9818-42DF-AFBB-238DF88A0119.thumb.jpeg.fb6b30481797d303c4f840917f36baa7.jpeg

Some of the best rendezvous I've had were the "bourbon finished" bottles.

Something about it alters the flavor just enough to "take it to 11" for me.

$115 for a 2 year old craft rye. :blink:

Tried a pour @ the tasting bar instead.

Alright.  It's pretty darn good.

It's different and delicious.

But I'm not a buyer at that price...

IMAG3160.jpg

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

IMAG3160.jpg

It's actually really good for a 2yr old whiskey. Like you though, I'm not a buyer at that price. Not sure what they are thinking there.

Edited by flahute
darn auto complete got me
  • I like it 1

I found a fairly dusty WT101 Rye the other day. The first one I've seen in a few years. I grabbed one and left one...it will likely be there when I go back to get it in a few weeks. Is has such a great nose, and is better than I remember. 

Austin and much of TX's whisky store scene is ruled by Specs and TW&M. But there are a lot of interesting bottles in the much smaller stores. I've seen W12, tons of OWA, WSR for days, AMwND, and now WT101 Rye on the shelves at a couple of way off the radar stores. Neither of them hardly have any significant stocks, but then they'll have these great bottles at near MSRP. Invariably the clerk says, "Oh, I never heard of that one."

If you're in Austin you can find these stores at the corner of Nope and Not a Chance. 

• I like it 1

I had a pour of WT 101 Rye followed by RR 6 yo Rye. The WT was more enjoyable, so much fruit on the front and the proof I prefer. The RR was gentler due to the age and proof but not more flavorful. I’ll reserve judgment a bit longer since it was the 1st pour of the RR, but I’m thinking $25 for a liter of WT versus $45 for the RR is going to make the decision easy. 

• I like it 1

On 3/16/2018 at 11:49 PM, 0895 said:

IMAG3160.jpg

I believe it came into the Indy area around that price.  I know one of the local whiskey holes is currently selling it for $89.99.  This place does let you try before you buy.  I think the bought 3 singles barrels.  I would like to try it but I already know I wouldn't buy it even for $89.99.  I struggle to consider WP10 even in the low $60s.

Just put my son to bed. My wife is out for some girl time. I'm now enjoying some lot 40 rye whisky, the 12 year cask strength will be up next. 638a45aad6989848626d4e7144c94b1a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have been on a rye kick lately.  More specifically, I have been hitting Kentucky Owl Rye on a nightly basis.  Just keeps getting better.  At the recommendation of a whiskey manager I trust, I bought a bottle of the Peerless Rye.  I think the bottle is pretty cool, but the label is more than a bit disingenuous with a 24 month age statement rather than a 2 year age statement.  Nonetheless, I was motivated to buy it by the statement that it just tastes good.  Having had a number of pours, I will simply agree with the conclusion - it tastes good.  Good rye character.  Good mouthfeel.  Not particularly long nor is there a great depth of flavor - but that is to be expected considering the age.  I am glad I have the bottle.  I have been able to source the KO rye for $110 and for about the same money, I will take the KO every time.  That said, with more barrel age, Peerless will be a strong contender in the premium rye segment.

Edited by El Vino
  • I like it 2

I'm enjoying a very special night with some 12 year cask strength lot 40 whiskey. f96f02caedf124c0b331d4fe9f5d65f4.jpg

• I like it 1

On 3/25/2018 at 11:10 AM, El Vino said:

I think the bottle is pretty cool, but the label is more than a bit disingenuous with a 24 month age statement rather than a 2 year age statement. 

Like newborns, when your age is low, folks tend to talk in months. I don't see a problem with it. My problem is with their gfys pricing. They are contemporaries with Willet, ferchristsake. What are they thinking? Is their ultimate 10yo going to be a $1000 bottle? Who are they kidding? ...not me, no thanks.  

Premium does not mean overpriced. 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:49 PM, reeko said:

I'm enjoying a very special night with some 12 year cask strength lot 40 whiskey.

While I "liked" your post, I am seething with jealousy.

3 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Like newborns, when your age is low, folks tend to talk in months. I don't see a problem with it. My problem is with their gfys pricing. They are contemporaries with Willet, ferchristsake. What are they thinking? Is their ultimate 10yo going to be a $1000 bottle? Who are they kidding? ...not me, no thanks.  

Premium does not mean overpriced. 

I hear you.  As I said, I was guided by the fact that someone whose taste buds I trust told me it tastes good.  We can all debate/criticize the wisdom of their pricing, but I believed that I was paying for a whiskey that tastes good-and it does taste good to me.  Having had some experience with the bottle, would I buy another?  No.  I can think of many others that represent better taste/value.  But it is a quality product that with more barrel age I will consider if at a price I consider reasonable.

California wine became quite expensive when the cost of vineyards/grapes/production began to skyrocket with demand.  I wonder if a similar phenomenon is at work with new craft distilleries.

While I "liked" your post, I am seething with jealousy.
Haha I'm sorry! Have you tried it before? I get jealous when I see others posting good bourbon and rye that we don't get here.

I'm enjoying some normal lot 40 tonight. 3729cf07c6bfb7dcd8091ad921c2b454.jpg

16 hours ago, reeko said:

Haha I'm sorry! Have you tried it before? I get jealous when I see others posting good bourbon and rye that we don't get here.

I'm enjoying some normal lot 40 tonight. 3729cf07c6bfb7dcd8091ad921c2b454.jpg

Is this NAS? If so, any idea what the age of the juice is?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.