What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, Kane said:

Looks like you've been working real hard :)

Yeah, I hope those "Beach Tips" are coming in handy. :D

18 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

Opened this yesterday traveling for work. As you can see, I like it.

image.jpg

Love this one also. You killed 1/2 bottle since yesterday. Getting any work done?

5 hours ago, Dango said:

Love this one also. You killed 1/2 bottle since yesterday. Getting any work done?

Ask that question to anyone involved in software development and you'll get this in response: https://xkcd.com/323/

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

Just cracked my first bottle of this.  Has a great, rich, deep nose of sweet goodness.  Tastes a lot like the last OFBB I had - heavy, rich - like a barrel proof.  I like it.  Can't wait to see how the bottle changes over time.

IMG_3897.JPG

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Just cracked my first bottle of this.  Has a great, rich, deep nose of sweet goodness.  Tastes a lot like the last OFBB I had - heavy, rich - like a barrel proof.  I like it.  Can't wait to see how the bottle changes over time.

IMG_3897.JPG

That is one of my favorites... I've gone through a couple bottles.

Cheers!

On 1/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, Kane said:

Ask that question to anyone involved in software development and you'll get this in response: https://xkcd.com/323/

Freaking hilarious. I love xkcd.

This Suntory is Harmony all right.  Like being in a dark, wet, green Washington state forrest with massive, silent trees, blindingly bright green moss, deep coco-colored exposed earth and peaceful tones within the silence....and then drinking all of it.  Wife loved it.  Me not so much.

IMG_20180105_203659.thumb.jpg.2d780be0e9357e181ac7b670b936def1.jpg

Edited by Studio 1930

Saw several enjoying it so I opened a bottle of CEHT Sm B last night, I'm going to work it in with BT, ETL, RHF, and maybe some HPR for comparison

• I like it 2

Opened my first Johnny Drum private stock. I let it sit in my glass for 25 minutes before tasting. It’s interesting. From the nose I thought it would be awful: overpowering rubbing alcohol mixed with some overripe oranges. But the palate was actually quite tasty: more of the orange, some vanilla sweetness, some oaky tannic character, and cinnamon spiciness. Finish is decent, with more of the orange flavor and something like molasses. I’m going to sip it slowly and see if it opens up a bit more as I go.

Having a bad day. Only one way to improve it. That's Redemption batch 3 from who knows when. But I tried it and loved it, my favorite BP MGP actually. First time trying the 1920.

IMG_20180120_204323.jpg

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

This is the EC private store selection that I purchased yesterday. If you squint really hard at the area to the lower right of the name of the supermarket where I purchased the bottle, you might be able to see the "aged 10 years" statement. Kind of odd to see that on a label that had to have been attached on the factory bottling line.

What's a couple of years among people seeking a good whiskey? I thought that since it's ten years old, 94 proof, and a single barrel, it might have a similar flavor to HMCKBiB but not even close. It doesn't matter. They're both very good and proof of the goodness that can be found in single barrel whiskeys.The answer is simple, I should have a bottle of both.

20180120_161505.jpg

WTRB 116.8. New bottle style.

It seems better to me than the 116.8 in the old bottle style.  Richer, more viscosity, less alcohol. It is definitely youngish whiskey, but is still very tasty. 

Cheers

IMG_2196.JPG

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

This is the EC private store selection that I purchased yesterday. If you squint really hard at the area to the lower right of the name of the supermarket where I purchased the bottle, you might be able to see the "aged 10 years" statement. Kind of odd to see that on a label that had to have been attached on the factory bottling line.

20180120_161505.jpg

The “Aged 10 Years” part of the label, though printed by HH, is from artwork provided by this Cosentino’s outfit as part of their private select barrel program.  It looks like anything in the white part of that label is what they sent to HH.  Most distilleries let you submit artwork for a personalized printed label for your bottles. It really does add a nice touch, I think.  

I FINALLY, had a chance to open and pour a small taste of the first bottle I received from the GBS pick in April of Elijah Craig Small Batch (in this case Single Barrel, eh?).

Following are my initial impressions...

Very nice rich red/copper/amber color.    Good legs.   Very good nose.    The palate is a bit oakier than I recall it being; but this is 9-months removed, and that was barrel proof in April, and this bottle has had zero 'air time'.

Where this one truly shone for me however, was the finish, which just kept slowly evolving and VERY slowly fading.   Very Nice Finish!

21 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

What's a couple of years among people seeking a good whiskey? I thought that since it's ten years old, 94 proof, and a single barrel, it might have a similar flavor to HMCKBiB but not even close. It doesn't matter. They're both very good and proof of the goodness that can be found in single barrel whiskeys.The answer is simple, I should have a bottle of both.

20180120_161505.jpg

The party doing the pick provides the artwork. The would have been the one to include the ages 10 years text.

EDIT - whoops, just saw that Joe posted the same thing.

Edited by flahute
I was lazy and did not see that someone had already responded to this.

21 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

WTRB 116.8. New bottle style.

It seems better to me than the 116.8 in the old bottle style.  Richer, more viscosity, less alcohol. It is definitely youngish whiskey, but is still very tasty. 

Cheers

IMG_2196.JPG

I really enjoy Rare Breed. I also look forward to the day when the fine folks at WT can put more 12 year old juice in the RB batches. 

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Been hiding in the bunker since 2016.

Finally gettin to it.

Dang this is a good bottle.

IMAG2980.jpg

This is underrated, for sure.  I think the "88.9" proof scares a lot of people away.  From my perspective, it's better than either Blanton's or ETL.  Only RHF's beats it in the masbill #2 world.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Been hiding in the bunker since 2016.

Finally gettin to it.

Dang this is a good bottle.

IMAG2980.jpg

I realize these aren't widely available, but what are they selling for if you don't mind me asking?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.