What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just opened a bottle of ECBP B517. Good as always but definitely benefits from some air time. Looking forward to finding a bottle of C917.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, brock957 said:

I got and opened a bottle of WTRB tonight. I really like it.

I also opened a bottle of FRSB. Didn't really care for it that much.

Here I thought I was going to get into bourbon and get all ella-gont-tay. Oh, no, not me. I'm liking WT and OGDBIB.

Next thing you know I'll be drinking BBCB (Bubba's Butt Crack Bourbon)

Oh well, at least I've got my wife fooled. She thinks I'm ditty-fied.

There is nothing inelegant about WT. Bourbon can be that and brash at the same time.

• I like it 2

First pour of the night and first time trying this one... I love all BT, so I figured I'd like this.

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.30922beec5eef0b3c563ecee29da3a3d.JPG

It wasn't until I took the first sip that I remembered that I burnt the crap out of my tongue on my coffee this morning and can't taste anything... Guess I'll have to give this a go again, when I can taste. Oh darn!!

Cheers!

Opening up these three bottles with a couple of friends coming.

WLW, H22 and a gift Secale Straight Rye.

Last three years like Joe and others after I moved, I’ve been at 6-8 open only. Now I’m opening up a bunch to give people some different profile and choices.

daf03ed96a3b318528410ee9084aed00.jpg

37 minutes ago, tigerlam92 said:

Opening up these three bottles with a couple of friends coming.

WLW, H22 and a gift Secale Straight Rye.

Last three years like Joe and others after I moved, I’ve been at 6-8 open only. Now I’m opening up a bunch to give people some different profile and choices.

daf03ed96a3b318528410ee9084aed00.jpg

I forgot to pencil it in. thx for the reminder;)

I opened and decanted the handle pictured below into a couple of empty ETL bottles. Ill be sipping on the remainder this evening. ;)

Biba! Joe

w12.jpeg

• I like it 3

It's been a busy weekend. I kinda got ahead of myself. :wacko: Not bourbon I know, but..... I decided to take one for the team yesterday. ;) It appears that Crown Royal Bourbon Mash has hit our area. Even though the last couple of CR products I tried (Harvest Rye and the 103 proof) weren't anything to really write home about, I still couldn't resist. I bought a bottle yesterday. IMHO, it's the same old, same old with this one too. It's not offensive, but there's also nothing unique about it that makes you stand up and take notice. It's kinda just there. :huh: I'll let it sit for a few days, and give it another whirl.

Biba! Joe

cr.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I opened and decanted the handle pictured below into a couple of empty ETL bottles. Ill be sipping on the remainder this evening. ;)

Biba! Joe

w12.jpeg

The Master at work.

• I like it 2

First post here...

I was given a cigar bar/club membership as a Christmas gift and found that all the cigar guys there were really into bourbon too. So I’ve joined in and tried all sorts, I’ve settled on E.H. Taylor small batch and Eagle Rare 10 as my favorites with no cigar. 

But with a cigar I’ve found the newest of the Bookers to be really good. 

This weekend I opened a new bottle of the Bookers 2017-04 called Sip Awhile. This one is the best Bookers I’ve had so far. A cigar knocks that 129 proof burn out and let’s you taste a ton of vanilla long finish. It’s top notch.

1 hour ago, PiraSea said:

First post here...

I was given a cigar bar/club membership as a Christmas gift and found that all the cigar guys there were really into bourbon too. So I’ve joined in and tried all sorts, I’ve settled on E.H. Taylor small batch and Eagle Rare 10 as my favorites with no cigar. 

But with a cigar I’ve found the newest of the Bookers to be really good. 

This weekend I opened a new bottle of the Bookers 2017-04 called Sip Awhile. This one is the best Bookers I’ve had so far. A cigar knocks that 129 proof burn out and let’s you taste a ton of vanilla long finish. It’s top notch.

Welcome PiraSea. Funny how the cigar makes really strong bourbon delicious (and manageable). As time passes you'll have a lot of fun creating pairings that suit your tastes best. Bourbon and Cigars are meant for each other.

• I like it 1

It's been a busy weekend. I kinda got ahead of myself. :wacko: Not bourbon I know, but..... I decided to take one for the team yesterday. [emoji6] It appears that Crown Royal Bourbon Mash has hit our area. Even though the last couple of CR products I tried (Harvest Rye and the 103 proof) weren't anything to really write home about, I still couldn't resist. I bought a bottle yesterday. IMHO, it's the same old, same old with this one too. It's not offensive, but there's also nothing unique about it that makes you stand up and take notice. It's kinda just there. :huh: I'll let it sit for a few days, and give it another whirl.

Biba! Joe
cr.jpeg.ede7b62ce53175f2d67939e26b0fa62d.jpeg

Something that says bourbon and blenders series on the box is so Canadian. Was this an actual bourbon like mash or did they blend the typical Canadian stuff to have a mix that’s bourbon like?

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Something that says bourbon and blenders series on the box is so Canadian. Was this an actual bourbon like mash or did they blend the typical Canadian stuff to have a mix that’s bourbon like?

I would expect they bought some barrels and blended it with Canadian stuff. They are just trying to strike into the bourbon market while its hot. 

6 minutes ago, PiraSea said:

I would expect they bought some barrels and blended it with Canadian stuff. They are just trying to strike into the bourbon market while its hot. 

The add copy for it was pretty straight forward about the fact that it was Canadian Blend aged in both new charred and former bourbon barrels, blended to approximate the profile of bourbon with a bourbon mashbill, the only real question is if the grains were distilled together (like bourbon) or separate (like Canadian). Regardless CR/Diageo already abandoned the TTB filing which was most likely due to the fact that it shouldn't have been approved in the first place.  

Not a bourbon but... damn this good! My expectations were low tbh but first pour put of this and I regret not getting more.

Cheers!

Screenshot_20180130-205707.jpg

• I like it 1

I couldn't wait to find a C917... I just popped these open to SBS. I will try them SBS with the C917 when I get one.

IMG_1646.thumb.JPG.2d38328efaed4d78c34c185382429951.JPG

I might be in the minority here, but I think I like the A117 better than the B517. They both are chewy and very viscous (which I love) but the B517 has a bit of an acetone hint towards the finish.

The B517 has more cherry and dark berries on the palate. The A117 has more of a licorice and red fruit on the palate.

They both are bursting with the typical caramel, toffee and vanilla notes we all know and love.

Really happy I have another B517 in the bunker... Just wish I had another A117.....

Cheers!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Not a bourbon but... damn this good! My expectations were low tbh but first pour put of this and I regret not getting more.

Cheers!

Screenshot_20180130-205707.jpg

Yea, it's kinda' bourbon - my vote is you're "Good to Go"!.   :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Yea, it's kinda' bourbon - my vote is you're "Good to Go"!.   :ph34r:

It's bourbony enough I think! 

Cheers

• I like it 1

As my dear departed father in law used to say to me on occasion, "Close enough for the gals we go out with." ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

It's a small bottle, but a bottle nonetheless. The nose has quite a bit of that old time butterscotch aroma that I love so much. Mrs. Vosgar said it "smells deep" (not sure what exactly that means). Great legs and the flavor sort of reminds me of the old 50's Dant that BourbonJoe brought to KY a couple of years ago. Not as good, but similar. For an 86 proofer, it's fairly thick and has a very nice finish. Since it doesn't have a green tax strip, I'm not sure when it was bottled. Says it was bottled in Gethsemane, but nothing about where it was distilled. Any ideas?

GTS.jpg

• I like it 1

Seems like the logical choice, I just don't understand why they would bottle elsewhere

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.