What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Been hiding in the bunker since 2016.

Finally gettin to it.

Dang this is a good bottle.

2 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

This is underrated, for sure.  I think the "88.9" proof scares a lot of people away.  From my perspective, it's better than either Blanton's or ETL.  Only RHF's beats it in the masbill #2 world.

2 hours ago, emr454 said:

I realize these aren't widely available, but what are they selling for if you don't mind me asking?

Man what a coincidence. I just opened my bottle of HPR, and was getting ready to post about it when I saw the three of you had posted. :wacko:

It's been 7 or 8 years since I last had a bottle of HPR. It totally disappeared around here. It just started showing up again recently. I passed on it at one store. They had it on the shelf for $63.99. I spotted some at another store for $46.99, so I thought I'd buy one and give it a try again. I'm glad I did. I really like it, regardless of the 88.9 proof. One thing I have to add here is that I usually have a coupe of cubes of ice with my bourbon. I first tried the HPR neat and liked it. I then added a couple of cubes of ice and let it sit for a few minutes, then tried it again. I actually like this one better neat. FWIW, this doesn't happen with me very often. :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Man what a coincidence. I just opened my bottle of HPR, and was getting ready to post about it when I saw the three of you had posted. :wacko:

It's been 7 or 8 years since I last had a bottle of HPR. It totally disappeared around here. It just started showing up again recently. I passed on it at one store. They had it on the shelf for $63.99. I spotted some at another store for $46.99, so I thought I'd buy one and give it a try again. I'm glad I did. I really like it, regardless of the 88.9 proof. One thing I have to add here is that I usually have a coupe of cubes of ice with my bourbon. I first tried the HPR neat and liked it. I then added a couple of cubes of ice and let it sit for a few minutes, then tried it again. I actually like this one better neat. FWIW, this doesn't happen with me very often. :huh:

Biba! Joe

Yep, it's a real solid choice.  Again, and I probably shouldn't keep stating this, but it's a better tasting pour to me than either ETL or Blanton's.  Even though they're all Mashbill #2, I've always thought there were similarities between HPR and RHF, and that ETL/Blanton's were a different pair.  And for me, it's the RHF/HPR that really brings out the best of Mash #2.

2 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

Yep, it's a real solid choice.  Again, and I probably shouldn't keep stating this, but it's a better tasting pour to me than either ETL or Blanton's.  Even though they're all Mashbill #2, I've always thought there were similarities between HPR and RHF, and that ETL/Blanton's were a different pair.  And for me, it's the RHF/HPR that really brings out the best of Mash #2.

ETL is my least favorite out of those 4. You have empowered me to admit that to the world. Well...the SB world. Lol

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, emr454 said:

I realize these aren't widely available, but what are they selling for if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was around $50, but that was back in 2016.

I wouldn't say its an easy find around here.

Bought it because I had tried the other "Big 3" of mash bill 2 and my OCD insisted.

I also have this little mission going on where I want to taste every single BT product.....(or just every product, EVER, if you ask my wife). :) 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

38 minutes ago, Bourbinvestor said:

ETL is my least favorite out of those 4. You have empowered me to admit that to the world. Well...the SB world. Lol

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It's been 7 or 8 years since I last had a bottle of HPR. It totally disappeared around here. It just started showing up again recently. I passed on it at one store. They had it on the shelf for $63.99. I spotted some at another store for $46.99, so I thought I'd buy one and give it a try again. I'm glad I did. I really like it, regardless of the 88.9 proof.

So, one thing I have to remind myself constantly is that:

A:  These are all single barrel products

B:  They vary greatly from year to year (releases) and bottle to bottle.

I've had some really bad Blanton's.  I've had a mediocre RHF & ETL.   I've also had some really good to fantastic  Blantons, Elmer, & RHF.

And now I've had a really good Hancock's.

It's always good to go back and retry stuff you didn't care for first time around.

:)

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, 0895 said:

So, one thing I have to remind myself constantly is that:

A:  These are all single barrel products

B:  They vary greatly from year to year (releases) and bottle to bottle.

I've had some really bad Blanton's.  I've had a mediocre RHF & ETL.   I've also had some really good to fantastic  Blantons, Elmer, & RHF.

And now I've had a really good Hancock's.

It's always good to go back and retry stuff you didn't care for first time around.

:)

Sorry, but you’ve not had a really “bad” Blanton’s.  You may have had a Blanton’s that didn’t agree with your palate.  But, it wasn’t “bad”.    ;)

Just now, smokinjoe said:

Sorry, but you’ve not had a really “bad” Blanton’s.  You may have had a Blanton’s that didn’t agree with your palate.  But, it wasn’t “bad”.    ;)

No, it was downright bad.  It was bottled late 2015 and it was awful.  I still have the "S" horse, sitting on my liquor cabinet as a reminder that it tasted like "ish".

Nothing could save it..... air, water, ice, cocktails, orange juice, coke, etc.

Everyone I let try it said it was awful.

I'm wondering if the cork went bad.  I just couldn't bring myself to dump it though.  Choked it all down.

I honestly swore off US Blanton's after that, only buying the "Gold" from Europe.

2017 was the first time I purchased US Blanton's again after trying a friend's bottle and purchasing a bottle from the same barrel.

I also bought some store picks that I was able to taste first.

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

No, it was downright bad.  It was bottled late 2015 and it was awful.  I still have the "S" horse, sitting on my liquor cabinet as a reminder that it tasted like "ish".

Nothing could save it..... air, water, ice, cocktails, orange juice, coke, etc.

Everyone I let try it said it was awful.

I'm wondering if the cork went bad.  I just couldn't bring myself to dump it though.  Choked it all down.

I honestly swore off US Blanton's after that, only buying the "Gold" from Europe.

2017 was the first time I purchased US Blanton's again after trying a friend's bottle and purchasing a bottle from the same barrel.

I also bought some store picks that I was able to taste first.

OK, so the bottle got tainted possibly?  Happens, I guess.  I will guarantee you, though, it wasn’t tasted, bottled, and released, in a way that it would elicit such reactions from anyone.   

1 hour ago, Bourbinvestor said:

ETL is not what it used to be unfortunately.

51 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

OK, so the bottle got tainted possibly?  Happens, I guess.  I will guarantee you, though, it wasn’t tasted, bottled, and released, in a way that it would elicit such reactions from anyone.   

Who knows.  I agree thought that there is no likely way BT sent it out tasting like it did.  At least I hope not.

Could have been a Friday afternoon quitt'n time last minute barrel, lol.

All the HPR talk made me open up the bottle I have. It’s definitely got the BT MB#2 nose. I’ve yet to have RHF but I seem to like Blanton’s and ETL over this. The finish is really short and kind of meh. I’ll let it open up. I’m thinking right now Blanton’s Gold, ETL, Blanton’s regular and RHF last. Glad I bought it but would gladly pay the $5 to $10 more for Blanton’s or $5 to $15 less for ETL.

019c50c3bc3cc337615c57657268e205.jpg

Had some barrel select BT tonight which blew HPR away. BT barrel selects are my go to daily Buffalo Trace product fix, can’t get enough.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

(or just every product, EVER, if you ask my wife). :) 

I doubt you're alone there (and they're not far off)

• I like it 1

Mmmmmmm! I want soooooooo many more of these! Seriously... Great stuff! I love me some MB#2, but this is just wonderful right now!

IMG_1622.thumb.JPG.e45db4e76ff051e3490958c427fb02cf.JPG

Cheers!

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Huh, all you guys talking about HPR was on my mind when I walked by a bottle this morning.  My memory of my last bottle a couple of years ago was "meh."  But took her home for $47.99 OTD - will do a SBS with RHF tonite while waiting for my Blanton's Golds to show up.   First world problems???   :ph34r:

• I like it 1

All the HPR talk made me open up the bottle I have. It’s definitely got the BT MB#2 nose. I’ve yet to have RHF but I seem to like Blanton’s and ETL over this. The finish is really short and kind of meh. I’ll let it open up. I’m thinking right now Blanton’s Gold, ETL, Blanton’s regular and RHF last. Glad I bought it but would gladly pay the $5 to $10 more for Blanton’s or $5 to $15 less for ETL.

019c50c3bc3cc337615c57657268e205.jpg

Had some barrel select BT tonight which blew HPR away. BT barrel selects are my go to daily Buffalo Trace product fix, can’t get enough.

Hate quoting my own stuff but meant that I rank HPR last and not RHF last. Have yet to try RHF.

Now don't any of you go and start bad mouthing my beloved BT Mash Bill #2. 

image.jpeg.df67406e8a4a7a04be11b32cd4fa5833.jpeg

As Jed Clampett would say, "Them's fightin words!"

• I like it 1

Just had a pour of Knob Creek Small Batch 100. First time and am very happy. Getting the vanilla and caramel up front with some maple syrup and oak to back it up. This could be a regular for me.

15 hours ago, ACL said:

Just had a pour of Knob Creek Small Batch 100. First time and am very happy. Getting the vanilla and caramel up front with some maple syrup and oak to back it up. This could be a regular for me.

It makes fabulous cocktails too!

On 1/23/2018 at 3:10 PM, HoustonNit said:

Hate quoting my own stuff but meant that I rank HPR last and not RHF last. Have yet to try RHF.

Been working my way through mash bill #2 as of late. Have picked up RHF, ETL, HPR, and Blanton’s Gold. Surprisingly can’t find regular Blanton’s anymore. Really enjoying RHF. More so than any of the others. Agree that RHF and HPR share similarities, as do ETL and Blanton’s Gold. ETL and BG seem to have more age and barrel character. Would love to find more RHF

• I like it 1

I've been saving this one since the summer when I lucked into being at the 4R Cox Creek location on the day it was released. One of those milestone birthdays seems like a good time to crack it open. Initial impressions are good, and it should get even better as it opens up.

Cheers!

IMG_2173.JPG

• I like it 1

Not a bourbon but I opened and had my first taste of Pikesville Rye last night.  Starting to like these rye's.

• I like it 2

On 1/22/2018 at 3:30 PM, sbsbsb said:

This is underrated, for sure.  I think the "88.9" proof scares a lot of people away.  From my perspective, it's better than either Blanton's or ETL.  Only RHF's beats it in the masbill #2 world.

That was certainly the case for me.  I saw the price and the proof and decided to pass.  I like MB #2 as well.  I Might have to give it a go, if I see it again.

On topic, I opened a bottle of Weller OWA, Weller SR and Weller 12yo to mix up a batch of the Weller Centennial Blend posted here.  The first glass was excellent.  I plan to let it sit for a few weeks to meld a little.  I am definitely looking forward to enjoying this one. 

Edited by GreggJ
  • I like it 2

13 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Not a bourbon but I opened and had my first taste of Pikesville Rye last night.  Starting to like these rye's.

Maybe post in the rye forum? If we keep posting about ryes in the bourbon forum the rye forum will lose its purpose. :)

I got and opened a bottle of WTRB tonight. I really like it.

I also opened a bottle of FRSB. Didn't really care for it that much.

Here I thought I was going to get into bourbon and get all ella-gont-tay. Oh, no, not me. I'm liking WT and OGDBIB.

Next thing you know I'll be drinking BBCB (Bubba's Butt Crack Bourbon)

Oh well, at least I've got my wife fooled. She thinks I'm ditty-fied.

Edited by brock957
Misspelled word
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.