What bottle did you open today? Winter 2017/2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'd love to know.  Purely speculating now, but Gethsemane closed in '61 (with a relatively new bottling line in place).  Possibly utilizing the 'dead' line while doing some in house renovations?

Had a repeat grilling of Filet Mignon, Poached eggs and fries, so I decided to open a new bottle.

I know that this isn't everyone's cup of tea but, I have to say that I really kinda dig this. It initially nosed out at varnish & ethanol, but the ethanol smell was gone after 5 min. It was quite light, of course I have been sipping mostly 94 proof with a BIB stuck up in there at times. The salt taste seem to start in the end & switch to the middle after it caught some air. This was a LS select & I can see myself reaching for this at times & not letting it go to waste...

jeff.jpg

jeffpour.jpg

• I like it 2

Opened a few tonight during the Super Bowl.  All three were above average but here was my first taste ranking of the three:

3. 1792 Bottled in Bond - don't know if it was the power of suggestion but I've read a big banana note on this one and I totally agree (although I've noted that myself before in a Single Barrel version that I've quite enjoyed).  Still liked it, but it was below the other two.

2. Blanton's Special Reserve - 80 proof green label - This surprised me as I expected a perfectly unoffensive but uninspiring offering.  While it definitely hit a little bit of both of those it was far better than I expected it to be.  Overall quite the solid pour that I'm very glad I got to try.  I will have to revisit this at a further date.

1. Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Proof - 128.1 proof (2017) - This one was really fantastic.  I dd add some ice and let it melt as it wasn't an official tasting.  This was really really good and I really look forward to trying the rest of this.

Thought this would be fun.

2013 "son of..."

2017 "boo"

Both have familiar mgp characteristics that I like.

The son of is caramel & pepper.

The boo is more refined with strong vanilla and not so much bite.

Both are quite good in their own way.

Win-win.

Just wish I more than 375 of the son...

:)

IMAG3014_1.jpg

Edited by 0895

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

IMAG3014_1.jpg

Nice glasses, BTW.  I have a few myself!!!  That size is JUST RIGHT for a "wee dram," eh?  :ph34r:

• I like it 1

On 30/01/2018 at 9:59 PM, beasled said:

Not a bourbon but... damn this good! My expectations were low tbh but first pour put of this and I regret not getting more.

Cheers!

Screenshot_20180130-205707.jpg

This one is quite nice, but did you try the Yippee Ki-Yay ? 

Will.

6 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

This one is quite nice, but did you try the Yippee Ki-Yay ? 

Will.

I did yes, I'm afraid whilst I enjoyed it to start the novelty wore off pretty quick. 

Definitely prefer the Bourye!

53 minutes ago, beasled said:

I did yes, I'm afraid whilst I enjoyed it to start the novelty wore off pretty quick. 

Definitely prefer the Bourye!

I didn't like at all, hopefully, it was a sample, couldn't go through a whole bottle, must be the vermouth finish, not for my taste. The Bourye is quite enjoyable. Enjoy it ! 

Will.

33 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

I didn't like at all, hopefully, it was a sample, couldn't go through a whole bottle, must be the vermouth finish, not for my taste. The Bourye is quite enjoyable. Enjoy it ! 

Will.

Yeah the Yippee was definitelt an acquired taste and not quite mine... 

The Bourye is excellent. Sweet and spicy.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Will.

8 hours ago, beasled said:

Since yippie is just finished double rye, I found it much better, cutting the yippie with regular double rye by about 50/50.

Boosted the rye taste and cut that vermouth taste way back.

:)

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, beasled said:

Here's my unsolicited opinion: the Yippie is indeed in a class of its own. It's some of the weirdest stuff released in recent memory, but I'm a fan.

The Bourye is excellent indeed.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Here's my unsolicited opinion: the Yippie is indeed in a class of its own. It's some of the weirdest stuff released in recent memory, but I'm a fan.

I think I liked it enough as a dessert pour, but just as a random pour out the cupboard I found it, as you say, weird. 

• I like it 1

Impulse buy of JB Double Oak - I'd never had it.  I was surprised that it is NOT oak heavy for me.  This is a nice 86 proofer.

• I like it 1

On 2/7/2018 at 5:39 AM, GeeTen said:

Nice glasses, BTW.  I have a few myself!!!  That size is JUST RIGHT for a "wee dram," eh?  :ph34r:

I picked up 4 of those at an estate sale a couple of months ago as a throw in on some other purchases. Very nice and heavy, and they do encourage a heavy pour too!

• I like it 1

Been sitting on 3 handles of EC12 for some time, finally decided to crack one open and remind myself what I liked so much about it - oh boy am I rememberin'!!

Then again I'm also rememberin' how HH handled the EC "revision"...  That's a chip that just won't fall off...

20180208_191917.jpg

21 hours ago, Kane said:

The Bourye is excellent indeed.

I hope YKY is a class of one. I still have a bottle left. I had 2 bottles of batch 8. I bought the 2nd bottle before trying the first one. Wasn't a fan. Way too much vermouth..and just...weird as you said. If I open this one I might try the trick of adding more DR to it.

Opened up a 1792 Sweet Wheat today. This and the Full Propf or the only two that I really like to drink of the 1792 line.

Happy Mardi Gras. 

486BA956-4800-458F-941F-8CC2B48B967C.thumb.jpeg.635a5718a946caa92aa956014bb37de5.jpeg

3 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Opened up a 1792 Sweet Wheat today. This and the Full Propf or the only two that I really like to drink of the 1792 line.

Happy Mardi Gras. 

486BA956-4800-458F-941F-8CC2B48B967C.thumb.jpeg.635a5718a946caa92aa956014bb37de5.jpeg

Interesting, I think I find the High Rye to be right there with Full Proof as the best of the lot but that tends to follow suit with my general tastes

• I like it 1

Had an odd urge for some VOB BIB, which hasn't happened for a long, long time. Went to the stash and found I had a couple of older bottles to chose from.

VOB.jpg

The bottle on the left was bought in 2010, bottle on the right in 2013. In just an 8yr time frame, this bourbon's been through a number of changes. I'd forgotten how much Barton dressed up the older bottle, pretty nice for $12! Anyways...... I went the newer one and it didn't disappoint. Outstanding flavors, very nice legs and more viscous than I'd remembered. If they still made it this way, it'd certainly give HH6BIB a run for its money as the "best bang for the buck".

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 2

Local whiskey group did a tasting. Everone brought a bottle and we had a great time.

I brought the fiddler bourbon. Tasted so good, it's what I'm having tonight.

If I had known how good it was I wouldn't have been able to wait till the event to open it.

20180217_202031.jpg

20180217_170058.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.