What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Interesting. I did think they would state BIB, but I at least thought it made the criteria of being aged 4 years considering the barrel strength store picks are around 9-11 years from my experience. 

Bottled in Bond is much more than just an age requirement.  It is/was a guarantee to consumers on the purity of the whiskey.

11 hours ago, Kpiz said:

It’s a single barrel product though so it is produced in a single season. What are the specific requirements on location? I don’t recall this requirement.

Here is a link on the BIB warehouse location http://distilling.com/ttb-support/

About half way down the page is a question concerning BIB warehousing.  There is also an article by Minnick in summer 2016 WA "Bottled in Bond" in which Tom's Foolery applied for BIB status and was faced with the 10 mile rule.

I will make a separate post on the Single Barrel subject.

Hope to see you again in the VBT's soon !

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Tell me more about this multi-season single barrel. :)

I wasn't saying that it was bonded, just that it met all the definitions and could be if it wanted to.

10 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Interesting. I did think they would state BIB, but I at least thought it made the criteria of being aged 4 years considering the barrel strength store picks are around 9-11 years from my experience. 

11 hours ago, Kpiz said:

It’s a single barrel product though so it is produced in a single season. What are the specific requirements on location? I don’t recall this requirement.

"Single Barrel" much like "Small Batch" suffers from an identity crisis due to their being no official or legal definition.  You would assume that it meant one distiller, one whiskey, from a single barrel of the expression.  And usually that is the case.  But look at the Sazerac produced "Caribou Crossing" blended Canadian whiskey.  The first Canadian they proclaim as a "Single Barrel".  Or hypothetically an NDP that buys first from one distiller X gallons of distillate and then X gallons from another distiller in another state, blends them and then fills and ages his barrels.  When ready the barrels are dumped one at a time and bottled as "Single Barrel".  Nothing wrong with that and maybe it would be excellent.  Although it does expand the perception of "Single Barrel" just as the Caribou Crossing does.  If you guys would like to discuss this farther then maybe we could start a thread ? 

5 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

Now that I will agree with , my concern was that Adam had taken away the thought that the 4R is a BIB.  I am sure there are several whiskies that could qualify to be BIB if they felt it was good for marketing their brand and they wanted the additional restrictions.  You Flahute are a leader here on SB and would not give someone misinformation.  I knew what you were saying, but felt Adam needed more explanation on his question.  Single Season was an example of one of the many regulations on being labeled as a BIB.  Single Barrel would seem to be the definition of single season.  But is it ?  If distillate from June 30th and a later date were contained in the same barrel would it not then be a violation of BIB requirements.  Some forces believe that BIB is archaic and unnecessary, what is your opinion ?

1 hour ago, Cranecreek said:

About half way down the page is a question concerning BIB warehousing.  There is also an article by Minnick in summer 2016 WA "Bottled in Bond" in which Tom's Foolery applied for BIB status and was faced with the 10 mile rule.

Sometimes I don't have time for a detailed reply so I fire off a quick one and mistakenly assume that everyone else knows what I know and will understand. So, good point to make sure Adam doesn't misunderstand.

I do believe that Four Roses Single Barrel meets all the requirements. They have a separate DSP numbers for Cox's Creek where the warehouses are which negates the distance from the distillery issue. (Heaven Hill has the same distance issue from the Bernheim distillery location and their many warehouses in the Bardstown area and they also have separate DSP numbers.)

The distilling season concern could come up, but would only effect one barrel so they could easily alleviate that if they wanted.

I don't believe BIB is archaic and unnecessary. Though we can generally trust the quality from the major producers at this point we can't say the same about craft. If a craft whiskey can call itself bonded I'm more interested in it because I know what minimum requirements have been met.

That article from Minnick you mentioned is a great one and explains a lot so here's a link: http://whiskyadvocate.com/why-you-should-try-bottled-in-bond-whiskey/

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Sometimes I don't have time for a detailed reply so I fire off a quick one and mistakenly assume that everyone else knows what I know and will understand. So, good point to make sure Adam doesn't misunderstand.

I do believe that Four Roses Single Barrel meets all the requirements. They have a separate DSP numbers for Cox's Creek where the warehouses are which negates the distance from the distillery issue. (Heaven Hill has the same distance issue from the Bernheim distillery location and their many warehouses in the Bardstown area and they also have separate DSP numbers.)

The distilling season concern could come up, but would only effect one barrel so they could easily alleviate that if they wanted.

I don't believe BIB is archaic and unnecessary. Though we can generally trust the quality from the major producers at this point we can't say the same about craft. If a craft whiskey can call itself bonded I'm more interested in it because I know what minimum requirements have been met.

That article from Minnick you mentioned is a great one and explains a lot so here's a link: http://whiskyadvocate.com/why-you-should-try-bottled-in-bond-whiskey/

We are on the same page.  Now days IMHO the more safeguards we have in knowing what we are buying the better.  Thanks for putting up the W.A. link. that I omitted.

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Tell me more about this multi-season single barrel. :)

Haven't you ever been on the 4R tour, when they were taking barrels out of the warehouse after a few years of evaporation, and topping them off with new make, then putting them back to age a while longer?

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Haven't you ever been on the 4R tour, when they were taking barrels out of the warehouse after a few years of evaporation, and topping them off with new make, then putting them back to age a while longer?

I missed that part of the tour.

13 hours ago, Cranecreek said:

Now that I will agree with , my concern was that Adam had taken away the thought that the 4R is a BIB.  I am sure there are several whiskies that could qualify to be BIB if they felt it was good for marketing their brand and they wanted the additional restrictions.  You Flahute are a leader here on SB and would not give someone misinformation.  I knew what you were saying, but felt Adam needed more explanation on his question.  Single Season was an example of one of the many regulations on being labeled as a BIB.  Single Barrel would seem to be the definition of single season.  But is it ?  If distillate from June 30th and a later date were contained in the same barrel would it not then be a violation of BIB requirements.  Some forces believe that BIB is archaic and unnecessary, what is your opinion ?

I asked Jim Rutledge about this and he said that they met all the definitions for it while he was there. The only thing they would have needed to do was dedicate part of the finished goods warehouse to bonded products and made it secure. He was never interested in that.

Given which thread this is in, and in honor of 4R since we are talking about it, I'm drinking some 4RYL out of the freezer into a 4R glass (the one you get on the tour) that was also in the freezer. Super refreshing.

Wild Turkey (12 Yr. Old) (1999 – 2006) (101 Proof) thanks goes out to @Masset1982 for the chance.  Pretty tasty, nice cinnamon, vanilla, nice little burn on the finish.

Ec2s5Le.jpg

• I like it 1

Smooth Ambler 8yr Caskers selection right around 120pf. 

• I like it 1

Back after a 1-week hiatus entertaining my family visiting me from the other side of the pond. Catching up with the forums while sipping a PH Promise of Hope.

Well as of tonight I’m on a 10 day round of antibiotics but luckily I had a bit of Weller 12 with dinner. The doctor was shocked with the state of my sinuses and ear which are both infected, so tea it is for me now. I love rooibos tea as it is the most earthy and woodsy tea with notes of vanilla,  perfect for all us bourbon drinkers and mighty healthy too

Edited by Surtur

7 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Wild Turkey (12 Yr. Old) (1999 – 2006) (101 Proof) thanks goes out to @Masset1982 for the chance.  Pretty tasty, nice cinnamon, vanilla, nice little burn on the finish.

Ec2s5Le.jpg

This one comes from far away my friends, almost 5000 miles away. Hoping you're enjoying it as much as i do, seems like you do. Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Smooth Ambler 8yr Caskers selection right around 120pf. 

I have one of these, my favorite SAOS ever, 8y seems like the sweet spot. Enjoy! 

Will.

My first time trying WT decades.

Classic WT taste.

I probably wouldn't get a bottle, but I understand why so many people love this.

IMAG3442_1.jpg

• I like it 2

The brisket is resting; my a$$ is resting & Weller Antique is just plain, dang GOOD!

Happy Father's Day, All!!!

w107.jpg.936ff71d0ad40f5f177f6633478f13c4.jpg

Thanks for that link, Crane. I’ll look for that topic on single barrels.

I always seem to check the VBTs when they’ve just finished up. I’ll try to get back in the habit of checking it every day so I can be a regular contributor again.
  • I like it 1

Enjoying the heck out of my $28 rare breed! Great World Cup matches today and a fantastic Father’s Day 

On 6/16/2018 at 10:58 AM, Cranecreek said:

Single Barrel" much like "Small Batch" suffers from an identity crisis due to their being no official or legal definition.  You would assume that it meant one distiller, one whiskey, from a single barrel of the expression.  And usually that is the case.  But look at the Sazerac produced "Caribou Crossing" blended Canadian whiskey.  The first Canadian they proclaim as a "Single Barrel".  Or hypothetically an NDP that buys first from one distiller X gallons of distillate and then X gallons from another distiller in another state, blends them and then fills and ages his barrels.  When ready the barrels are dumped one at a time and bottled as "Single Barrel".  Nothing wrong with that and maybe it would be excellent.  Although it does expand the perception of "Single Barrel" just as the Caribou Crossing does.  If you guys would like to discuss this farther then maybe we could start a thread ? 

On 6/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, Kpiz said:

Here is what I replied on the single barrel debate.

The link(s) from me and flahute just concerned BIB location requirements.

I think Harry is starting a new VBT #627 tonight.

Edited by Cranecreek

Enjoying Fathers Day with my 2 boys and Sipping on some of my favorite bib’s today...

1F88CB03-9B93-443A-9F2C-75E211244BB8.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Stump1998 said:

Enjoying Fathers Day with my 2 boys and Sipping on some of my favorite bib’s today...

1F88CB03-9B93-443A-9F2C-75E211244BB8.jpeg

No BIB required for those BIBS.

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Enjoying a very good pour of Rhetoric 24y. I really like this one. 

Given your screen name, I am not a bit surprised!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.