What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Doing a little SBS since I still have some 1920 left and picked up some Signature on-line way back and now just getting to it. The color, pretty close, but the 1920 is darker. The nose is pretty damn close, lots of vanilla, cinnamon, a nod to the 1920. The taste of both is really nice, vanilla, cinnamon, but the 1920 is a couple of notches up on the burn, cinnamon. Might have to see if some more 1920 is around. Also, for the price, still the Signature is worth the price, easily.

0Eyc5Ph.jpg

qbWwjDM.jpg

vw3YHMH.jpg

I’d agree with that assessment. 1920 is better but OF sig holds its own for a sun 23 bottle. 

My Gators kept me up late into extra innings prior to clinching a spot in Omaha. 

Bakers is underrated and I circled back to it. Bakers value has gone up relative to the Bookers price increase IMO. KC singles are still the best Beam value (as long as they aren’t too oaky) but this 7 year old 107 pleases just about every time. 

316E3940-0CC0-4B34-858A-A49F61544B96.jpeg

• I like it 2

Had an early night due to an early morning wake up, so I went with some Jim Beam Single Barrel.  It's not the prettiest lady at the bar, but its got character.  

IMG_2090.jpg

• I like it 1

Decided to do a little sbs tonight, ‘14 GTS versus the 2015. Very interesting, similar but so different in the same, the 2014 has some wheated notes with some rye notes too. For now the 2015 is fantastic but a little too oaky, needs to breathe a little. Both are the top whiskey that’s I’ve had the chance to drink. Finishing the ‘14 pour at the moment. Cheers! 

Will.

image.thumb.jpg.04f6261d6a10dcade52f68d8daa91151.jpg

Edited by Masset1982
  • I like it 3

What a month or so can do!

My first bottle of CEHT SiB was crave worthy until a dead soldier. The second bottle, not so much. So I put it away for a month or so & decided to revisit after placing a meatloaf on the grill.

This Col is even keeled sweetness with a nice oak balance and a finish worthy of a snappy salute!!!

Aaaaahhhh!

col.thumb.jpg.bf267a57435703c9c300dfc04eceefd5.jpg

• I like it 1

Another one bites the dust tonight. I'm going to need to buy some more. I'm running dangerously low on some whiskey. IMG_20180612_174314.jpeg

• I like it 1

A glorious pour of Blanton’s out back with Braves on the radio.  Silky and refined elegance in this splendid whiskey.  

• I like it 1

OGD BIB while watching the Nats and Yanks. Might need another pour waiting for our bats to come alive.

• I like it 1

Time to open up a new one.

Has anyone tried blantons gold? Is it worth the extra cost? I'm thinking of getting that next. IMG_20180612_181326.jpeg

• I like it 1

Some EC12 (I had a 1.75 of the rear stated 12 that I poured into the big red 12 bottle). This is my first time using this drinking vessel that I got on our honeymoon 6 weeks ago. I prefer a glencairn, but this one's good as well (so far). 

20180612_194400.jpg

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

A glorious pour of Blanton’s out back with Braves on the radio.  Silky and refined elegance in this splendid whiskey.  

Whew...thank God you didn’t call it smooth ????

• I like it 2

34 minutes ago, reeko said:

Has anyone tried blantons gold? Is it worth the extra cost? I'm thinking of getting that next. IMG_20180612_181326.jpeg

I got a bottle of Blanton's Gold as a gift. I like it better than the 93 proof Blanton's, but it's not quite as good as SFTB. To answer your question of it being worth the extra cost, that's a very subjective question. If you're a huge Blanton's fan but you're not into barrel proofer, then I'd say spring for the Gold. If you prefer barrel proofers, get the SFTB. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, T Comp said:

Whew...thank God you didn’t call it smooth ????

Ha!  I get beat on enough during the day.  I don’t need no more whoopin’s.  :D

• I like it 2

Long day at work, and had bidness' to take care of afterwards. A couple of pours of Weller SR are hitting the spot quite nicely this evening. 

Biba! Joe

Having some HM 10y tonight, (always good) and playing washers with my wife and kids.

2 hours ago, reeko said:

Has anyone tried blantons gold? Is it worth the extra cost? I'm thinking of getting that next. 

I'm a big fan of our standard Blanton's and the Gold is even better, IMHO. We're not talking life changing better, but it's really damn good. As for whether it's worth the extra cost, as JCW said, that's subjective. Since you're wondering about it, I'd say treat yourself to a bottle and see what you think.

• I like it 3

Started with a dram of PS OESV, now drinking SAOS 10 year while sitting on the patio smoking a stogie and watching the fireflies fly by.

Not too shabby.

I've been lucky enough to be able to stock up on good barrels of RY10 at my local. For whatever reason, most of the other stores in the area were passing up on stocking it so my local kept getting it.

Well, the 2017 barrels finally came in. (We get everything late here as you know.) So, a new batch of barrels to try.

First one is not great. Has a very bitter finish. Tried many things to make it work to no avail until.......I blended in some Larceny. Much better. More balance. I'm at about 50:50 so it's at 96 proof.

Not amazing, but, very drinkable. Couldn't ask for a better outcome from a bad barrel.

A very precise measured pour of a Double Rye private pick at No Name in Park City. 

IMG_20180612_221642.thumb.jpg.2a47b89fd2450f525c220e9a920de18e.jpg

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

A very precise measured pour of a Double Rye private pick at No Name in Park City. 

Agh. Should have gone on the rye forum, but if it helps redeem myself a bit, I also had an American Prarie. Very easy-going blend that to me tasted like a four roses with softer edges. 

I got a bottle of Blanton's Gold as a gift. I like it better than the 93 proof Blanton's, but it's not quite as good as SFTB. To answer your question of it being worth the extra cost, that's a very subjective question. If you're a huge Blanton's fan but you're not into barrel proofer, then I'd say spring for the Gold. If you prefer barrel proofers, get the SFTB. 
I've only had regular blantons once or twice and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say I'm a big fan. I do like barrel proofers more, but sftb isn't available here. But I am curious to see how much more I might like the gold. Like vosgar says , I might get one for my curiosity. It might be the best thing ever to me, even better than jiff peanut butter! :)
  • I like it 1

24F7CE3B-852B-4E51-96BB-935A419C5A13.thumb.jpeg.32a450df78c282e9e15590fe94c31dcf.jpeg

Well, the cork broke, that’s how you recognize a true dusty turkey, right ? 

Hopefully, those 4R SmB corks fit perfectly with this bottle. Reminds me a lot of the Decades, it’s pretty good, there is definitely some old stuff in this bottle, I’m glad I bought it, I’ll have fun with this one for sure, already my second glass. Cheers!

Will

Edited by Masset1982
  • I like it 3

17 hours ago, reeko said:

I like the Blanton's Gold.  As far as worth the extra cost...only you can really decide that.  I will say that three bottles have been purchased myself, and one was given very recently as a gift for a house warming party.  Another bottle should be purchased before too long to replace that one, as long as I can get it shipped to me.

Really liking this spey dram glass from my buddy rarebird. First pour had to be Decades. 

ABC9B45A-199F-4BB9-A44E-29E7EDD269C1.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.