What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been a crazy busy week here in the CICU. Over time contract is almost done and I have laid off the sour mash for the last 5 days. 

Not sure what the Fedex man will have waiting on me when I get home but the first box that gets opened will be my fist pour. 

Updates to follow. 

• I like it 2

Enjoyed some Michter’s barrel strength rye  from 2016. Then a few W12 pours while watching Croatia beating the crap out of Argentina at the 2018 World Cup. Great evening. Cheers!

Will. 

• I like it 2

Trying a new barrel of HM10y tonight. This is the best one I’ve had lately, of the higher numbers (4000 and up). 

image.thumb.jpg.ebced70f44306f6fbeabd38c87639fc2.jpg

Digging deeper into that Russell's SB, M. I'm realizing that I've neglected the good old WT lately while chasing after the BT unicorns. This one hits the spot. Second pour.

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Nice FR Elliott's Select pour for a fair $17.00.

IMG_9719.thumb.JPG.6ce1a8a00b538345fc348730268d07e4.JPG

I'm jealous. That's my favorite 4R and all my sources dried up. I've also never had it at that price.

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'm jealous. That's my favorite 4R and all my sources dried up. I've also never had it at that price.

My prior pour at the same restaurant was a Baker's for $15.00-- so go figure. WLW and GTS were both $32.00-- so I opted for Elliott. 

31 minutes ago, Kane said:

Digging deeper into that Russell's SB, M. I'm realizing that I've neglected the good old WT lately while chasing after the BT unicorns. This one hits the spot. Second pour.

Eddie and them boys have been putting out some killer picks lately. 

Nothing from Fedex today.  Guess a 9yr 3 month OESV will have to do. 

BCB1741E-09AA-4CA5-99A6-E3FE26D25371.jpeg

PS. It most certainly will do. Delightful pour. 

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 3

Second pour.  Am I the only one that thinks Baker’s is under appreciated? The age and proof really work for me. With KC losing the 9 year age statement and Bookers at $80 in every shop in my market, Baker’s is hanging out at 7 years 107 for abt $42. I like it. 

1642CA0B-424D-42CE-8359-E9337730CDAA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Hitting a older bottle of 4R PS SB tonight. Nothing like a very smooth 120 bourbon to help relax after a long week.

26 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Second pour.  Am I the only one that thinks Baker’s is under appreciated? The age and proof really work for me. With KC losing the 9 year age statement and Bookers at $80 in every shop in my market, Baker’s is hanging out at 7 years 107 for abt $42. I like it. 

Agree, a fine bourbon, but KC SiB PS are in the same price range.  For the money, I'd rather sip a 12-14 yr KC.  Not to slight Bakers at all- good stuff- but value isn't there for me.  Drop $10 to compete with similar aged BT releases and it would be a competitive bottle.  Always the Beam "red-headed step-child".

It's usually a value at bars/resturants for me, when compared to Booker's and similar offerings.  The others seem to have a higher mark-up, relatively speaking.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

You are not.

• I like it 1

It's been a night of great pours (with friends).  I started and ended with a PS OESQ.  In between we bounced between WT Long Branch, Boone County 12 year (PS barrel proofer sourced from MGP) and 'The King' ('17 GTS). 

My takeaway from the evening... buy the 12 year old BC barrel proof on sight!  My bottle was purchased for under $50, and it's an unfiltered, thick, rich, chewy, complex, smooth, and easy drinking flavor bomb whiskey.  It doesn't need water, and like a good woman, each sip will leave you wanting more!   I poured it both prior to, and after, the session with GTS, and it still held its own without any drop off in flavor or finish.  It's also (IMO) equally thick and complex as the Stagg, just a bit less bold and lengthy on the finish.  I also missed the licorice note that the Stagg provides, but everything else was there on this fine expression from the opposite bank of the Ohio...     

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 1

Watched some of the NBA draft last night starting with a little RR10, but I wasn't feeling that so I switched to ER10.  That hit the spot.

Finished a bottle of RR SiB store pick from True Spirits. That was a great bottle. To bad there won’t be any more true spirits picks.

Finished up a bottle of HMcK10BiB. Two more warming up in the bullpen. Went back to a pour of Woodford Reserve as well a few days ago. Very nice and smooth was the Woodford that night. 

Finished a bottle of RR SiB store pick from True Spirits. That was a great bottle. To bad there won’t be any more true spirits picks.

Started with a rye, WTR101. Hadn’t had it in a while and the spiciness was a bit more than I wanted. Switched to my recent favorite blend Stagg Jr./ER10 in a 1:2 ratio. Now that hit the spot. 

10 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Started with a rye, WTR101. Hadn’t had it in a while and the spiciness was a bit more than I wanted. Switched to my recent favorite blend Stagg Jr./ER10 in a 1:2 ratio. Now that hit the spot. 

I've been enjoying a Stage Jr/ER10 blend in a 1:1 ratio. I may have to try the 1:2 ratio. By itself Stagg Jr doesn't really do it for me but it is useful for blending with ER or BT.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I think there are more of us with a bottle of Bakers at hand than you may think Mako

baker.thumb.jpg.ac9153f954bfb8906791e28aead2746e.jpg

Very surprised to see on our United Airlines flight that they now offer BT on the drink cart. After having our limo break down on the way to O'Hare, then having an almost 2 hour flight delay, I was ready for it.

Interesting tidbits gathered from the stewardess. When I commented on them having BT, she said UA must've gotten it really cheap, plus, they're only allowed to have 2 of the 50ml bottles on the cart. Huh? They also changed their vodka to Wheatley and she said customer's aren't happy about it. She was very nice to me so I didn't bother to tell her it's GNS and doesn't matter at all.

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Very surprised to see on our United Airlines flight that they now offer BT on the drink cart. After having our limo break down on the way to O'Hare, then having an almost 2 hour flight delay, I was ready for it.

Interesting tidbits gathered from the stewardess. When I commented on them having BT, she said UA must've gotten it really cheap, plus, they're only allowed to have 2 of the 50ml bottles on the cart. Huh? They also changed their vodka to Wheatley and she said customer's aren't happy about it. She was very nice to me so I didn't bother to tell her it's GNS and doesn't matter at all.

Stewardess?   How was your flight on that 707, Gary?  :D  :D 

Did a blind SBS of two McKenna’s that were barreled on the same day. They were very similar but I gave the edge to 4726. It was sweeter with a longer finish, whereas the 4723 finished a little bitter. 

84C4D570-9DF8-43BF-9BB4-C115D5B681D2.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.