What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 minutes ago, Clueby said:

While W12 doesn't have the punch of flavor that even OWA it has such an elegance to it 

Agreed.

Tonight I drank a sample of 2012 VW Lot B

and followed it up with some 2017 W12.

The Lot B was so rich and lucious.

The W12 is less so, but the same theme is there.  It's quite elegant.

I'm on my 2nd glass and its really hitting the spot tonight.

Started the night with the first pour of 4RSB OBSV. This is one of the higher proofs I have ever seen from Four Roses at 128.2 and 8 yrs & 9 months. I hope this opens up some with air as this is the first time I have had some harshness on the palate with Four Roses. Definitely not the smooth tasting I have appreciated from 4R in the past. Although this is the second bottle I have had under 9 years old, and the previous (OBSK my favorite recipe) bottle was the most disappointed I have tasted. I am hoping this one turns the corner.

Good news is I followed up with a pour of OWA so all is now right in the bourbon universe.

Weller SR is hitting the spot quite nicely this evening.

Biba! Joe

Had a work event at a crappy Tex-Mex joint last night, where I was limited to beer and 'ritas.  Came home, jumped in the pool to refresh, and had a little plain old MM before bed.  It's not fancy, but it never really disappoints either.

• I like it 1

I was at a friend's house last night and he poured a blind SBS for me: an OWA single barrel K&L store pick from two years ago vs current David Nicholson 1843 (the white label wheater). It was easy to determine which was which - the Weller had a deep black cherry note and was excellent despite not having a ton of depth. The DN1843 is a solid but young bourbon that still exhibits some of those grainy notes that younger bourbons do. I'd be happy to drink either but this wasn't much of a competition.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

Batch 4. Bottled by Sarah.  Maybe that's the difference!  Anyway, I revisited tonight and still get the short bread cookie taste. Smells like fresh baked wheat bread. I agree that the finish makes it taste a tad younger than 5 years but sounds like I enjoy it way more than you guys. 

20180628_191857-1612x1209.jpg

I have batch 6 so at least I know I'm not getting a wildly different flavor from the same batch as you.

Visiting some old friends, drinking WT101 out of a wine glass, and I've absolutely no issue with it. 

Cheers all!

• I like it 1

Enjoying a beautiful post storm sunset in Georgia with a Nicaraguan H Upmann and. Rutledge gift shop OBSQ from back in 2015.

Cold, cold, cold Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain straight from the refrigerator - "2 fingers and spread 'em!"  Delicious after a dinner of salad and cedar planked fresh sockeye salmon filet (on sale at Whole Foods!) and a chocolate chip cookie for dessert.  YUM . . . . .

• I like it 3

The wife and I went out for a nice dinner tonight. As a pre-meal drink I had an ounce of WT Revival. I thought the bourbon did a great job of standing out over the sherry finish. After my experience with this and WT Decades, I prefer the RRSiB store picks that I've had. I suppose I'm like Jimmy and feel that the WT distillate hits its prime between 7-10 years. 

I am normally pretty methodical about only have a few open bottles at a time but recently I have been opening more bottles.  Tonight I opened two bottles purchased this week. 

One is a KCSB (Total Wine) PS purchased in Louisville.  They had two different barrels at this store.  The one I purchased is Barrel #6133.  It is one of the top KCSB PS I have had in several years.  It ranks with my all-time favorite KCSB (Binny's and Vine & Table).  The sales poster description was pretty accurate.  The nose has a nice hint of cherry and wood.  It has an intense cherry, vanilla profile upon entry with a medium to long finish.  Normally, I proof down to around 100, even with KCSBs.  However, I proofed this one down to around 107 and it was in the perfect range.

The other is a KCSB Rye PS, also purchased at Total Wine in Louisville.  The one I purchased is Barrel #5742.  The nose is kind of weak.  However, it has a nice caramel, toffee and light oak profile upon entry, an excellent mouthfeel with a decent chew to it, and strong spicy medium to long finish.  This is the only KSCB Rye PS I have tried since they were just recently released.  A couple of local Indy chains have PS's so I need to pick one up for comparison.  If comparable, these are a nice addition to the $40 rye price range.

Obviously, these are SBs and there were enough bottles in the store that I suspect these barrels are different those in other TW stores.  However, if in the Louisville area, the price is right and these are solid bottles.  I would recommend picking one up.

14 hours ago, dcbt said:

Had a work event at a crappy Tex-Mex joint last night, where I was limited to beer and 'ritas.  Came home, jumped in the pool to refresh, and had a little plain old MM before bed.  It's not fancy, but it never really disappoints either.

I have a small 375 of MM that I hit whenever I want something I know and enjoy.  Sometime a nip of MM just makes my day.

5 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I finished off a very good ER tonight 

923DA3AD-5F81-48B5-BA23-AC2027D42F7B.thumb.jpeg.e69021e8c80d4198084870ccc4bb039a.jpeg

Are you sure the bottle is totally empty?  The only way to know for sure is to lay on your back, put the bottle to your mouth and tap it several times on the bottom to make sure no drops are left in it.

• I like it 1

Another little SBS with the Four Roses Small Batch (90 Proof), and some Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Yr. Old (90 Proof), this bottle has at least 3 years on it. The color, pretty damn close, ER slightly darker. The nose is also pretty damn close, lots of vanilla, cinnamon. The taste of both is very nice, vanilla, cinnamon, also pretty damn close. Like the packaging of ER10 better.

s6KieeJ.jpg

• I like it 1

This Noah’s Mill batch 2017-61 I’ve been working on is tasting slightly better than usual tonight

8 hours ago, Kpiz said:

This Noah’s Mill batch 2017-61 I’ve been working on is tasting slightly better than usual tonight

So how could you have missed @FacePlant's #630 ?? :D

• I like it 1

On 6/29/2018 at 2:18 AM, NDN98 said:

This si the one bottle I didn't care for when I first purchased it, but now it is one of my favorites.

Wasn’t a big at first but I am now. 

Will. 

• I like it 1

Just enjoyed a glass of the ‘17 WLW, and a friend had the Eagle Rare 17.  

4C6348E8-EB83-4B1B-B78B-B129CAA1E937.jpeg

• I like it 2

I finally opened up my Parker’s 2017. Wow really wonderful stuff. Had it SBS ECBP. Even though they are both similar age barrel proof HH products they have very different profiles. The Parkers I pick up apples or pears, with tobacco. The EC I get the usual vanilla and oak I find from EC. I picked up the Parkers fro $120 or $130 and passed on it at $150. After tasting it I would’ve paid the $110. Wow I find it great for my palate.

IMG_4812.JPG

• I like it 2

Really hot day, and I started yard work early.  Am squeeky clean now.  Before going back out to grill a salmon filet and some veggies, I'm relaxing with some Cabin Still from my seemingly bottomless handle.  Maybe it'd go quicker if I stopped pouring it into a tumbler filled with ice.  But on a hot day  . . .  (Bernheim in the freezer as I like wheateds on hot days of Summer but the Cabin Still called to me today for some reason.)

• I like it 1

Grilling some whole red snapper and lobster tail with my father-in-law and enjoying a couple of sticks and some OGD BIB orange cap pored into a Harper 15 yr decanter and stored in the fridge.

IMG_4815.JPG

• I like it 3

Enjoying a sample of Wild Turkey Tradition, a duty free bottling from 1994. I don't like WT stuff in general and have none of their stuff in my collection, but this stuff is pretty nice. Really oily and viscous.

Really hot day, and I started yard work early.  Am squeeky clean now.  Before going back out to grill a salmon filet and some veggies, I'm relaxing with some Cabin Still from my seemingly bottomless handle.  Maybe it'd go quicker if I stopped pouring it into a tumbler filled with ice.  But on a hot day  . . .  (Bernheim in the freezer as I like wheateds on hot days of Summer but the Cabin Still called to me today for some reason.)

I'm just trying this for the first time with a rare breed. I had it in the freezer for a bit, since it's a super hot day and I thought I would give it a try. I'm enjoying it like this! way better than with ice. IMO of course. IMG_20180630_201700.jpeg
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.