What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

38 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

Trivia night at the local dive bar means Maker’s Mark. The only other choice is JBW. At least the pours are deep.

This reminds me of an old joke.  An elderly couple is eating at a new restaurant, and they are not pleased.  "The food here is terrible!" states the wife.  "Yes, terrible" answers the husband "and the portions are so small!"

FacePlant and I had a little get together last night and enjoyed a pour from these three fine Heaven Hill bourbons that I brought back from my trip to Bardstown and the KBF. Pricey...yes, but all very nice pours to my taste. (The Willet 4yo Rye just had to be in the picture too, even though it wasn’t opened last night.)

IMG_0023.JPG

• I like it 4

24 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

FacePlant and I had a little get together last night and enjoyed a pour from these three fine Heaven Hill bourbons that I brought back from my trip to Bardstown and the KBF. Pricey...yes, but all very nice pours to my taste. (The Willet 4yo Rye just had to be in the picture too, even though it wasn’t opened last night.)

IMG_0023.JPG

We wanna see those with the corks off!  Haha

Seriously, how did they compare?  Nice haul

We wanna see those with the corks off!  Haha

Seriously, how did they compare?  Nice haul

Hard to really compare them since they are so different. They are all excellent though in my opinion. The William Heavenhill reminds me a bit of EC18. FacePlant actually had a small pour of EC18 after the William Heavenhill and he did say they were different, but some of that also has to do with the lower proof of the EC18.

We did compare the Old Fitzgerald 14 with the Spring release Old Fitzgerald 11. They are both great bourbons, but the 14yo has a richer, fruitier more complex flavor than the 11yo.

This years Parker’s may not appeal to everyone, but I really like it. I really love the nose...the orange is really upfront on the nose. I could probably just sit and smell it for hours. I get orange zest and a good bit of orange on the palate along with the usual bourbon caramel and Oak notes. It’s not subtle, but it’s not overpowering either...you just definitely know the Orange Curacao barrel finish is there.

37 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The Willet 4yo Rye just had to be in the picture too

The Willett 4yo rye is great! Is that the 126 or 107 proof?  I love 'em both! 

30 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Hard to really compare them since they are so different. They are all excellent though in my opinion. The William Heavenhill reminds me a bit of EC18. FacePlant actually had a small pour of EC18 after the William Heavenhill and he did say they were different, but some of that also has to do with the lower proof of the EC18.

We did compare the Old Fitzgerald 14 with the Spring release Old Fitzgerald 11. They are both great bourbons, but the 14yo has a richer, fruitier more complex flavor than the 11yo.

This years Parker’s may not appeal to everyone, but I really like it. I really love the nose...the orange is really upfront on the nose. I could probably just sit and smell it for hours. I get orange zest and a good bit of orange on the palate along with the usual bourbon caramel and Oak notes. It’s not subtle, but it’s not overpowering either...you just definitely know the Orange Curacao barrel finish is there.

Thanks for the details.  It sounds like the OF14 would be right down my alley, and the Wm Heavenhill would not.  As for the Parker's Orange, I'm guessing it's something someone just has to try first before know. 

Thanks! 

On 9/16/2018 at 1:45 AM, Kepler said:

It is great drinking, isn't it?  It's hard to understand why good ole cheap WT101 is so satisfying, but I believe it's the unusual balance that it achieves that sets it apart.  I can't think of another bourbon anywhere near that price point that possesses the combination of caramel/brown sugar sweetness plus that prickly spiciness.  You just don't see those 2 things together in the same whiskey, integrated as well as WT101 is on the palate & the finish.  Even other Wild Turkey bourbons like Rare Breed and RR just don't have the same extreme balance that plain old 101 has.  I can't explain it.

I hear you! WT 101 has been my fallback for years.  I recently got on a months long kick jumping between Henry McKenna Single Barrel and Knob Creek (either Single Barrel or the 100 proof).  I fell back again to WT 101 last week and am again amazed at how good it is.  

I purchased ($49.99), opened and drank the new release of Michter's Toasted Barrel Bourbon this week.  Sure, I know it will be criticized on certain fronts, but at $50, I was willing to take a stab.  For a long-sidelined limited release bourbon which will be highly sought after (whatever the merits), I find it interesting that this release is priced just slightly higher (like a few bucks) than their regular release bourbon.

In any case, I kind of like it.  Is it mind-blowing, no.  But coming at it with an open mind, it is pretty good and I think will improve with some airtime.  Some definite cinnamon and vanilla on the nose and palate.  Could definitely use some more age, but it is not overly harsh.  If we don't buy it, someone else surely will, so ya makes your choices and ya takes your chances.  YMMV.

Edited by jeffrey r

The last pour from my first of the latest WTRB 116. WOW from the first pour to last I have LOVED this bottle. more have and will be added periodically as I have a hard time considering anything while this is sitting on the shelf. Of course there will periodically be others but likely in conjunction with another RB.

16 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

The last pour from my first of the latest WTRB 116. WOW from the first pour to last I have LOVED this bottle. more have and will be added periodically as I have a hard time considering anything while this is sitting on the shelf. Of course there will periodically be others but likely in conjunction with another RB.

I completely agree and joined you last night with some of my WTRB 116

• I like it 1

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, lcpfratn said:

Great having you over lcpfratn! I was really hoping you would be talking about the WildWeller as the stupendous drink of the night. ;) Seriously can't thank you and the Vosger enough for setting me up on the WH 16yr----BIG THANKS GUYS!!!

If we had uncorked the Willett then we would have had to compare that with the Owl and Handy, then you would have had more curves in the road that night.

Edited by FacePlant
  • I like it 1

Great having you over lcpfratn! I was really hoping you would be talking about the WildWeller as the stupendous drink of the night. [emoji6] Seriously can't thank you and the Vosger enough for setting me up on the WH 16yr----BIG THANKS GUYS!!!
If we had uncorked the Willett then we would have had to compare that with the Owl and Handy, then you would have had more curves in the road that night.

You’re welcome and thanks for the hospitality. I did forget to mention the Wild Weller blend. I definitely need to try that again. And I agree about not trying anymore that evening...don’t need any extra curves in the road.

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Great having you over lcpfratn! I was really hoping you would be talking about the WildWeller as the stupendous drink of the night. ;) Seriously can't thank you and the Vosger enough for setting me up on the WH 16yr----BIG THANKS GUYS!!!

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

You’re welcome and thanks for the hospitality. I did forget to mention the Wild Weller blend. I definitely need to try that again. And I agree about not trying anymore that evening...don’t need any extra curves in the road.

Ain't it great when members live near each another and can share their bounty? :) 

On another note, what's this about a Wild Weller Blend? :huh: And I wasn't notified? <_< Sheeeeesh. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Ain't it great when members live near each another and can share their bounty? [emoji4] 

On another note, what's this about a Wild Weller Blend? :huh: And I wasn't notified? <_>  
Biba! Joe

I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of trying it before, but FacePlant blended 3 parts WSR and 2 parts WT101...it’s very good!
  • I like it 2

Ok I went for the gusto at a bar and I'm glad I did. GTS is a tough act to follow but this is different enough that it pulls it off.  

Probably the best Turkey I've ever had (definitely the best nose), but I then again I never tried the RR 1998 nor the old classic turkeys. It beats the 12 yr 101 expressions that I've tried -- due to the intensity of flavor that non chill filtered barrel proof provides. 

20180921_174456.jpg

• I like it 3

Finding out that I'm going to be a grandpa again + getting ready to leave on vacation with Mrs. Vosgar to celebrate our 40th anniversary + a nice healthy pour of FR 2014 LE SmB = One hell of an outstanding day!!

• I like it 5

This seems to be a love it or meh on this forum. I'm definitely in the first group. This is one of my absolute favorite pours. It's the perfect age and proof for mash bill #1 (GTS is likely the exception to this, but I can't say definitively since I've yet to have it). 

20180921_191542.jpg

• I like it 4

Finding out that I'm going to be a grandpa again + getting ready to leave on vacation with Mrs. Vosgar to celebrate our 40th anniversary + a nice healthy pour of FR 2014 LE SmB = One hell of an outstanding day!!

Congratulations!

When live gives you lemons, make lemonade. When coworkers give you a bag of oranges, make Mellow Corn screwdrivers. Especially when you have free child labor for juicing the oranges.

IMG_5259.JPG
IMG_5260.JPG

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.