What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kicking things off with some WTRB batch 3RB 108.2.  I just opened this bottle a short while ago and it's already getting quite low.  It's puzzling how these 3RB's disappear so quickly, I just don't understand it.

• I like it 1

Kicking things off with some WTRB batch 3RB 108.2.  I just opened this bottle a short while ago and it's already getting quite low.  It's puzzling how these 3RB's disappear so quickly, I just don't understand it.
I'm enjoying some wtrb as well, but the newer expression. It's just so damn good!!
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, reeko said:

I'm enjoying some wtrb as well, but the newer expression. It's just so damn good!!

Yes it sure is!

Taking a SAOS SiB 12 year for a spin around the block, courtesy of one of those famously generous SBer samples.  Thanks for the sample sir, you know who you are.  It's absolutely fantastic.

On 9/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

I put a solid dent into a 1L WT101 this past weekend. It’s not glamorous, rare, or exotic, but perfectly suits this thread, because I’ve been enjoying the hell out of it.

I’d like to get a fancy decanter and keep this in it on display as my “house bourbon” just to observe guests’ blind impressions and reactions when they learn what it is.

It is great drinking, isn't it?  It's hard to understand why good ole cheap WT101 is so satisfying, but I believe it's the unusual balance that it achieves that sets it apart.  I can't think of another bourbon anywhere near that price point that possesses the combination of caramel/brown sugar sweetness plus that prickly spiciness.  You just don't see those 2 things together in the same whiskey, integrated as well as WT101 is on the palate & the finish.  Even other Wild Turkey bourbons like Rare Breed and RR just don't have the same extreme balance that plain old 101 has.  I can't explain it.

I’ve mostly lurked here and have learned quite a bit. Had a friend over yesterday and we had some small pours of BT mashbill #1. 

BD7E4EE1-D51A-49BB-AB11-7EBCFDBE8ECF.jpeg

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

It is great drinking, isn't it?  It's hard to understand why good ole cheap WT101 is so satisfying, but I believe it's the unusual balance that it achieves that sets it apart.  I can't think of another bourbon anywhere near that price point that possesses the combination of caramel/brown sugar sweetness plus that prickly spiciness.  You just don't see those 2 things together in the same whiskey, integrated as well as WT101 is on the palate & the finish.  Even other Wild Turkey bourbons like Rare Breed and RR just don't have the same extreme balance that plain old 101 has.  I can't explain it.

Jimmy Russell still has it!

101 is my favorite to slip into a blind tasting with other more expensive/elusive bourbons. Always love seeing people react when they learn the pour they favored over  other harder to get/hyped stuff is good ol 101. 

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have similar feelings about EW BiB.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Agreed, well said. The balance is what makes it so fantastic. Even the proof is just enough to give it a little bite, but low enough to keep it really easy drinking.

• I like it 1

A little "Florence Evacuee Special Edition" Four Roses. We evacuated to my mother's  in Floyd County, VA on Wednesday morning. Tried our damnedest to get home yesterday morning and were forced to turn around in several spots due to washed out roads. We (my wife and I, my 24 and 17yo daughters) along with 2 small dogs and a cat, are currently residing in a hotel in Durham NC. Our town is completely inaccessible by land after 30" of rain and still coming down. No idea when we'll get back in. My first stop after getting checked in was an ABC store with a limited selection, but after a few bourbon-less nights it really hit the spot. When I finally get back to my house (a neighbor who rode it out says it looks fine, but our road is washed out on both ends), I'm cracking open something I've been saving for an occasion. 

IMG_5987.JPG

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

A little "Florence Evacuee Special Edition" Four Roses. We evacuated to my mother's  in Floyd County, VA on Wednesday morning. Tried our damnedest to get home yesterday morning and were forced to turn around in several spots due to washed out roads. We (my wife and I, my 24 and 17yo daughters) along with 2 small dogs and a cat, are currently residing in a hotel in Durham NC. Our town is completely inaccessible by land after 30" of rain and still coming down. No idea when we'll get back in. My first stop after getting checked in was an ABC store with a limited selection, but after a few bourbon-less nights it really hit the spot. When I finally get back to my house (a neighbor who rode it out says it looks fine, but our road is washed out on both ends), I'm cracking open something I've been saving for an occasion. 

IMG_5987.JPG

Get home safe. Glad yoyr family is safe. The rest is just stuff!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

Ditto - glad you're safe.  Hang in there and Godspeed to you and all the folks over there.

Edited by Kepler
you not yo
  • I like it 1

Starting this afternoon with some EC from the family size bottle I just grabbed. As a Bears fan I’m celebrating the Packers Vikings tie. Lol.

• I like it 1

Some CEHT BP 128.1 hits the spot this Sunday evening after throwing some meat on the grill. Good way to wind down the weekend. 

Starting with some Johnny Drum 12y. As much as I used to love EWSB back in the day, this is the most flavorful 86p bourbon ever made to me.  image.thumb.jpg.db382d2805f5fb94bf973fbf422123c5.jpg

• I like it 2

B/S Distiller's Cut while watching the ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFULLY filmed "The Miniaturist" on PBS.  Getting ready for the show following: The Brokenwood Mysteries.

The Nats beat the Braves earlier, but I had to drive so I got a late start.

10 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Booker sure knew how to make some bourbon. 

y4mqRIAQduiBZzbLEY3wB07IZc4QHP0ad-7Cz08s

Ooooh.  I have one of those.B)  But only one.:(

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Booker sure knew how to make some bourbon. 

y4mqRIAQduiBZzbLEY3wB07IZc4QHP0ad-7Cz08s

Man, I'm literally a 5 min walk away from the only source I know that stocks two shelves full of 8yr handles. The temptation is strong. I think I'm getting one right now.

• I like it 1

OBSF  sbs tonight.  

The shared sample is almost 12 yrs. and is very mint forward.... reminiscent of toothpaste in a way...?

My bottle is 9y,5m and is more caramel forward with just a kiss of mint on the end. 

Very interesting sbs for me, as I haven’t had much experience with the F yeasts.

627A4182-D1B7-49EB-B5CA-B5266CD79744.jpeg

Edited by 0895
No, I wasn’t eating spicy cheese-it’s while tasting bourbon...

25 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Kevin. that OGD lamp thing is spooky.

It really is you should see it in a dark room!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.