What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up these deals while traveling through Paducah, KY for Thanksgiving.
65115052-668A-4C4D-A8D8-97A9431317F2.thumb.jpeg.06a74e7af4fa7f1bd834793596089e71.jpeg
AEAEB6AC-F1FB-4B85-B9D9-7048C03B8AF9.thumb.jpeg.20b033bd028c45bb0dd6e68aefa1df0c.jpeg

While much of what I see in these pics is priced close to secondary pricing, that’s the first time I’ve seen any store finally throw in the towel on Peerless Rye and price it somewhat close to their cost. They are shelf turds in almost every store around me. I’m sure some of them will eventually sell, but regardless how good it tastes, the regular retail price for this two year old rye puts a bad taste in my mouth.
  • I like it 1

On 11/23/2018 at 10:00 PM, PaulO said:

I'm waiting for the next big sale too.  

I have a feeling they will be having one soon!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:23 PM, Bambam said:

Passed on Old Fitzgerald 9 and 11 years today.

May regret it but the reviews on the 11 I’ve seen were not good at all and the 9 seems to be getting higher praise...but they wanted $180 for the bottle and I couldn’t bring myself to pay it.

mistake?

I have both. I read the reviews on the 11, and don't agree. I find it to be an excellent bourbon. I do agree the 9 is better and is really special. I paid 129 bucks for each. 180 is steep, but it is as good as or better than bourbon I have seen priced higher.

• I like it 3

Down in Houston for work, passed on OF1910 for $47.  Waiting for my trip back to the motherland in a few weeks...

Passed on a HWMWND today prices at $99. Its good, but not worth that to me. Can just snag a Bowman Port!!

• I like it 2

On 11/26/2018 at 1:12 PM, graftonbc1 said:

I have both. I read the reviews on the 11, and don't agree. I find it to be an excellent bourbon. I do agree the 9 is better and is really special. I paid 129 bucks for each. 180 is steep, but it is as good as or better than bourbon I have seen priced higher.

I’m still seeing mixed reviews but I found one of the 9 years today for close to retail. Snagged it right up at that price. So my patience paid off passing on it for $180 and thanks for your opinion as an owner of both— bc of that I kept my eye out.

Now I just need an occasion that justifies breaking the seal! Haha

Edited by Bambam
  • I like it 1

18 hours ago, Bambam said:

I’m still seeing mixed reviews but I found one of the 9 years today for close to retail. Snagged it right up at that price. So my patience paid off passing on it for $180 and thanks for your opinion as an owner of both— bc of that I kept my eye out.

I hope you enjoy it. I broke the seal on mine the same evening I bought it. The occasion? I had just bought a delicious bourbon in a lovely decanter.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, Bambam said:

I'll just throw in that I've tried the 11y spring, 14y summer, and 9y fall releases.  The 9 remains my favorite!

Occasion?  How about a day that ends in "Y" ?

Seriously, dive in and enjoy that stuff.  It's pretty tasty.  You don't have to drink it all on one nite.  :)

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

I'll just throw in that I've tried the 11y spring, 14y summer, and 9y fall releases.  The 9 remains my favorite!

Occasion?  How about a day that ends in "Y" ?

Seriously, dive in and enjoy that stuff.  It's pretty tasty.  You don't have to drink it all on one nite.  :)

Well if you think it’s better than the 14 as well I guess now I’m really excited! Ha

may have to give it a go!

Edited by Bambam

Could have had this gem for the low low price of $800. At least I was able to pick it up and take a picture for free. 

8566FFF2-4624-4EEE-B7D0-94FC6414AFB5.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Could have had this gem for the low low price of $800. At least I was able to pick it up and take a picture for free. 

Ouch!

Joe

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

8566FFF2-4624-4EEE-B7D0-94FC6414AFB5.jpeg

So how crazy were the prices on the other bottles that are also shown in the picture? 

Actually not crazy at all except for the BTAC.  They were right at MSRP or just slightly above.  Could have picked up the EC18 for $150.00, but just decided I had better options for the money right now.

8566FFF2-4624-4EEE-B7D0-94FC6414AFB5.thumb.jpeg.22d8ce14d6ea5f63566949b89087ac14.jpeg

Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever seen it priced that high.

8 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

About 15 minutes later while talking with one of the managers and the other customer that purchased the EC18, the WLW and several other bottles were purchased at the asking price by one person. Was definitely a sight to see. 

• I like it 2

While I did make a few purchases today, I also made some big passes. Had a hunch that the Van Winkle collection was hitting stores in MA today, so I stopped by a few new places on my way home from a work assignment. One store had gotten in a few BT products including the Van Winkles. They were selling Weller 12 for $80. ORVW 10yr could be had for the low price of $249, and the Lot B was obtainable at $325 I think. I tried talking the guy down to $55-60 for the Weller 12 but he wasn't having it. I told him the mark up was stupid. He quickly replied that they would most likely be gone by the end of the evening at those prices. I'm sure he was correct, but not with me. None of his other merchandise will ever be heading home with if his prices do not change.

• I like it 2

I passed on almost everything today. One store had some decent stuff on the shelf at pretty good prices but I just didn’t feel the need. They had ECBP for $60, Stagg Jr for $50, and MWND was $90. They had 18 bottles of the MWND sitting there. Is the volume of that way up this year?

On 11/29/2018 at 10:15 PM, lcpfratn said:

But, but.... it's gluten free!!!!!!! ?

• I like it 1

Stopped at a local bottle shop on Saturday to check out a couple of store picks. They seem to overcharge of EVERYTHING, so I was less than hopeful. WSR for $40 and Blanton's for $90.

Nope. You can keep 'em.

:unsure:

On 11/29/2018 at 10:15 PM, lcpfratn said:

2 hours ago, justanuthercap said:

But, but.... it's gluten free!!!!!!! ?

AND... BONELESS!!!!

Passed on the Parker’s Heritage barrel finished today. Just didn’t know enough about it to know if it’d be worth the price of admission.

anyone here had it?

Passed on the Parker’s Heritage barrel finished today. Just didn’t know enough about it to know if it’d be worth the price of admission.

anyone here had it?

The search feature is your friend.
  • I like it 1

15 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

The search feature is your friend.

Nah, it really wasn’t in this case. Already used it and the results I saw for “Parker’s,” “parker’s Heritage,” etc weren’t what I was looking for. 

Also, my post was still about what I passed on. And I didn’t start a whole new thread asking a question that’s been asked multiple times.

No need to demean people for no reason. 

Edited by Bambam

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

anyone here had it?

There's a whole thread on this over in Premium.

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

There's a whole thread on this over in Premium.

Thanks. Really did search and didn’t see that. This is a lot more helpful than the other post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.