What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

58 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

I have always been interested to try the owl bourbon. How much does hype cost these days?

MSRP is $300 and the current is a blend of 5, 8, 11 and 14 year old bourbon, anyone who buys this and complains about HH 6 BIB going away or Booker's price increase should be made to drink Terrapure bourbon for the rest of their life. 

• I like it 3

Passed on ECBP at $55. I have enough in the bunker and wanted to hold off for other Fall releases. 

ECBP has also become much easier to find lately, so there is no rush to buy it every time. 

I passed on Midwinter Nights Dram and Sazerac Rye. I'm just not familiar with those two. I also passed on EH Taylor small batch. I recently had a pour of it at a bar and it was pretty darn good. Maybe I should have picked up that one.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:34 AM, bourbon4all said:

I have always been interested to try the owl bourbon. How much does hype cost these days?

I tried last year's KO bourbon and thought it sucked. 

Wouldn't have bought it even for 30 bucks.

The rye was another matter, but that was batch 1, and I trust the people here who have said batch 2 pales in comparison, so no sale from me.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:37 AM, kevinbrink said:

MSRP is $300 and the current is a blend of 5, 8, 11 and 14 year old bourbon, anyone who buys this and complains about HH 6 BIB going away or Booker's price increase should be made to drink Terrapure bourbon for the rest of their life. 

I just received a sample of this from a friend and will be sampling this Sunday.  I passed all over the place at $300.  It would have to be a pretty amazing pour to even come close to justifying the price IMO.  

Passed on Batch 1 of KO rye when it was first released, probably would be a buyer at that price now, but passed all over again on batch 2 when the price hike came this year.  

1 minute ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I just received a sample of this from a friend and will be sampling this Sunday.  I passed all over the place at $300.  It would have to be a pretty amazing pour to even come close to justifying the price IMO.  

Passed on Batch 1 of KO rye when it was first released, probably would be a buyer at that price now, but passed all over again on batch 2 when the price hike came this year.  

It is counter intuitive that younger bourbon is more expensive than older Rye, for most distilleries the pricing would be the opposite just based on what is available on the market. KO Rye batch one seemed fairly priced to me and was really enjoyable but I'm guessing it will go down as my only purchase from them. 

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, foppa78 said:

I passed on Midwinter Nights Dram and Sazerac Rye. I'm just not familiar with those two. I also passed on EH Taylor small batch. I recently had a pour of it at a bar and it was pretty darn good. Maybe I should have picked up that one.

Yes, you should have picked up the CEHT SmB.  Have one open, 2 bunkered and when I see one (at a reasonable price) I pick it up.

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I tried last year's KO bourbon and thought it sucked. 

Wouldn't have bought it even for 30 bucks.

The rye was another matter, but that was batch 1, and I trust the people here who have said batch 2 pales in comparison, so no sale from me.

KO Rye batch 1 is so unique...I wish I had stocked up but at the time $130 sounded crazy. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I've seen a lot of people complain about batch 2 but I happened to buy both batches at the same price ~$140 and to be honest I didn't find too much difference between them. You can taste the difference in proof, but there's not too much difference in taste I think. Batch 2 is a little less value for money at MSRP, but I would probably buy multiple bottles of each if they were $100 or less.

4 hours ago, Theiano said:

I've seen a lot of people complain about batch 2 but I happened to buy both batches at the same price ~$140 and to be honest I didn't find too much difference between them. You can taste the difference in proof, but there's not too much difference in taste I think. Batch 2 is a little less value for money at MSRP, but I would probably buy multiple bottles of each if they were $100 or less.

Thanks for posting that. I'm still not a buyer of batch 2 because I managed to get 5 bottles of batch 1, and every time I spend more than 100 bucks on a bottle I break out in a rash. So I'm trying to minimize my discomfort. I'd see a doctor about it but all my medical money goes to topping up the bunker.

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear from someone else who owns both batches and has done a comparison.

Totally agree on your 100 or less comment. 

• I like it 4

Passed on WTRR SiB at the distillery... really wanted to try it but couldn’t spend the $72... have several excellent PS bottles in the bunker...

I passed on the New Riff BIB.  Curiosity almost got the best of me but I managed to gather myself and grab some Turkey.  Thanksgiving is coming up, you know...

Passed on a bunch of ECBP and HW MWND the bunker is full enough of both and I don't see much point in chasing every batch anymore. 

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

Passed on a bunch of ECBP and HW MWND the bunker is full enough of both and I don't see much point in chasing every batch anymore. 

Second day in a row that I’ve passed on ECBP. I have plenty and seems to be easier to find than in the past. 

• I like it 1

Also passed on ECBP today (C918), although still not crazy common, these days I find it faster than I can drink it, and I have a few bottles at home, so I don't feel the pressure to pick it up when I see it.

31 minutes ago, Theiano said:

Also passed on ECBP today (C918), although still not crazy common, these days I find it faster than I can drink it, and I have a few bottles at home, so I don't feel the pressure to pick it up when I see it.

Boy, if this is a trend, maybe there's good times ahead... 

Was offered 4R LE today at msrp.  I know a lot of you will think I'm nuts, but I just dont get into bottles much above $100.  I really don't go above $75 much even.  I love 4R, but I'm pretty happy with store picks.

• I like it 1

Passed on parkers Barrel finished; haven’t heard enough about it to pull the trigger before others come out. 

Spent the last few days at a work conference out on Cape Cod. While out there, I did my usual scouting for liquor store like any normal SBer would do. Found three bottles in the glass case I would like to have. GTS, ORVW 10yr and a Lot B. Knowing full well, that if they were in the case and from last years release, they were not cheap. $799.99 for the GTS, and $100 per year aged on the VW selections. Of course I laughed and walked away wondering how much longer they will have to remain on the shelf.

6 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Was offered 4R LE today at msrp.  I know a lot of you will think I'm nuts, but I just dont get into bottles much above $100.  I really don't go above $75 much even.  I love 4R, but I'm pretty happy with store picks.

meanwhile, 4 hrs. to the east, that bottle doesn't exist anywhere in town and my FOMO is reaching dangerously high levels.

(Bangs head on wall).

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

Passed on ECBP at $80 and yet another LS with $100 1792FP - WTH?!?

Wow!! Today I saw a 1792FP store pick for $43. I debated for a while, but I decided to walk away. 

6 hours ago, elmossle said:

Spent the last few days at a work conference out on Cape Cod. While out there, I did my usual scouting for liquor store like any normal SBer would do. Found three bottles in the glass case I would like to have. GTS, ORVW 10yr and a Lot B. Knowing full well, that if they were in the case and from last years release, they were not cheap. $799.99 for the GTS, and $100 per year aged on the VW selections. Of course I laughed and walked away wondering how much longer they will have to remain on the shelf.

I know where you were . . . . . . .  ☺️

Ended up laughing last August as I walked out, too!!!

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Was offered 4R LE today at msrp.  I know a lot of you will think I'm nuts, 

That was my initial thought! Followed by a bit of envy and then finally ended up thinking Good for you! It HAS to be fantastically refreshing to not be caught up in the LE game. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.