What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, Bambam said:

Thanks. Really did search and didn’t see that. This is a lot more helpful than the other post.

Don't misinterpret Jeff. He's a great guy,

Also, use google for search and include "straightbourbon.com" with your search terms. It works way better.

• I like it 1

^^^Bam, you chimed in on Jeff's post twice now.  You asked a question and received an answer (that you've now critiqued twice).  

Maybe I missed something, but I certainly didn't see anything demeaning in the first reply.  Trust me, if someone chooses to offend you here, it will be very clear and obvious. 

In other words, get your panties out of a wad!  ;)

• I like it 1

Thanks. Really did search and didn’t see that. This is a lot more helpful than the other post.

Yeah the thread uses the PHC abbreviation instead of Parker’s which makes it harder to find. I found one of these at retail and picked it up. I said this before Parker’s has earned my respect, at $90 or less I’m not taking much of a chance. Last years bottle I thought was great.
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, Bambam said:

Bambam, I hear where you’re coming from. Keep posting and seeking input. Sometimes, you just have to look past the arrogance and general grumpiness you get here from time to time. It’s more subtle than other message boards. Rarely will you get the overt name-calling, etc. that you’ll get with other sites, but there’s certainly a tone you’ll pick up with some posters. Just ignore them. 

• I like it 1

Just my opinion, of course...

But, after reading some of the previous posts in this thread (and others in other threads) I've come to believe that most of the angst occurring among some of us folx is derived from impressions formed between our own ears, rather than the intentions of posters to 'start something', or to demean, impugn, or otherwise indicate a judgement about the behaviors/posts of others here. 

If we all just adopt the attitude that posts here are meant to further conversations, or to be helpful to others here, rather than meant to judge previous posts (or posters).

And maybe if we assume no ill will is intended, we'll all have more fun, and get along soooo much better....

What say you all?

Am I being naive?

• I like it 4

56 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Just my opinion, of course...

But, after reading some of the previous posts in this thread (and others in other threads) I've come to believe that most of the angst occurring among some of us folx is derived from impressions formed between our own ears, rather than the intentions of posters to 'start something', or to demean, impugn, or otherwise indicate a judgement about the behaviors/posts of others here. 

If we all just adopt the attitude that posts here are meant to further conversations, or to be helpful to others here, rather than meant to judge previous posts (or posters).

And maybe if we assume no ill will is intended, we'll all have more fun, and get along soooo much better....

What say you all?

Am I being naive?

I totally agree you Nimrod! :lol:

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I totally agree you Nimrod! :lol:

HEEHEEHEE!

1 hour ago, KyleCBreese said:

How can a single barrel have this many bottles? I passed.

AA4E3B2B-7F8A-4347-B181-082CFDAE780D.jpeg

Oh, that's easy.  Rumor is that it's Barton whiskey.  Probably came from that "worlds largest whiskey barrel" they have on the property.

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Bambam, I hear where you’re coming from. Keep posting and seeking input. Sometimes, you just have to look past the arrogance and general grumpiness you get here from time to time. It’s more subtle than other message boards. Rarely will you get the overt name-calling, etc. that you’ll get with other sites, but there’s certainly a tone you’ll pick up with some posters. Just ignore them. 

Thank you @DeepCover

And @Richnimrod I always like to assume the best but when you ask a question about something you’ve posted about in the correct place and the response is “the search function is your friend,” that’s pretty much definite snark. No way to assume it’s helpful because it isn’t.

That’s all I was getting at. But I’m good.

• I like it 3

On 12/4/2018 at 7:26 PM, DeepCover said:

Ahhhhhhh..........no.

Compare this place to every other bourbon site on the internet.

If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.

This place is full of the best. And the most knowledgeable. And we bring in new members who know nothing all of the time. And in time? They become the knowledgeable ones. 

Don't make assumptions.

• I like it 3

Passed on ECBP in the Louisville airport @$96. When did they start selling bottles of bourbon after security that isn’t intended for Duty Free? Great idea, but way overpriced on all of their stuff.

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

@flahuteWhile i’m okay having the unpopular opinion here, I’d prefer to PM you my thoughts on the subject and not further derail this thread.

PMing your thoughts should have been your first action to Bambam...

• I like it 3

On 12/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, 0895 said:

Oh, that's easy.  Rumor is that it's Barton whiskey.  Probably came from that "worlds largest whiskey barrel" they have on the property.

are you refering to the pond downhill?

On 11/25/2018 at 6:46 PM, Jfletchgu said:

I also begrudgingly passed up this opportunity while in Illinois. It was 10 bucks more than I was hoping to find it for, and I have my fingers crossed this week for an opportunity at a BTAC bottle so decided to save the funds. Hope I don’t regret it.

F00020AF-3301-4F58-AC16-8268037627F6.jpeg

To me this was worth the purchase at $40. I'm not sure I'd consider it a $50 bottle.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

are you refering to the pond downhill?

No, they actually have a giant real whiskey barrel on top of the hill behind the distillery bldg. 

And a picnic area.

all open to the public. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:31 AM, BDanner said:

To me this was worth the purchase at $40. I'm not sure I'd consider it a $50 bottle.

Luckily for me I found a bottle last weekend at $34.99, which I felt was a fantastic price. Glad I originally held off.

• I like it 2

I passed on Shenk’s for $33.99 simply because the store (in my old hometown) had PVW23 for $3500 and M10b for $500.

They don’t deserve any of my business anymore.

• I like it 2

RHF @ $189... and AAA 10 yr... yes, 10 year @ $500... "it's discontinued..." Hard not to just laugh in people's face sometimes...

Did end up grabbing a KC Cask strength Rye, HWMWND, and 1792 FP store pick at my regular store.

Edited by JTaylor
  • I like it 2

27 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

RHF @ $189... and AAA 10 yr... yes, 10 year @ $500... "it's discontinued..." Hard not to just laugh in people's face sometimes...

Just wow.  I guess sticking to the BT mashbill #2 theme, I just recently saw ETL in the wild for the first time in a while, and I think it was $180 a bottle or something ridiculous like that.  I just chuckled.  Thank god for bunkers...

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Just wow.  I guess sticking to the BT mashbill #2 theme, I just recently saw ETL in the wild for the first time in a while, and I think it was $180 a bottle or something ridiculous like that.  I just chuckled.  Thank god for bunkers...

Well Jeffrey, good news, there is a place in Clifton with a few bottles for the low low price of $90! What a bargain!

1 minute ago, jeffrey r said:

Yep... I have enough in the bunker that I don't go out of my way to chase anymore and my regular LS sets one aside and lets me know when they have something I'll like that's allocated. They might mark up $20 at the most on big stuff like PVW, BTAC, CEHT BP or 4G but I still get an ETL or W12 once or twice a year for $35 - $40.  Closing in on Bourbon Zen... :D

• I like it 1

Passed on a Bookers 30th that arrived today.  $199.99.  Also the Basil Haydens 10 year at $62.  

Edited by gurgalunas

I passed on 40 Winks Whiskey yesterday. It’s a sourced/blended whiskey(?) from Grantview, a new local distillery. Sad, but I couldn’t discern much more than that from the label, or their website. An easy pass at $55.00 a bottle. 

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.