What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fear of losing my Cult Card led me to having a healthy pour of 2014 FR LE SmB. Well, that and it's Friday. Also, it looked damn inviting just sitting there on the bar. Plus, it's really, really good.

Aw hell, do you really need a reason to drink great whiskey? Didn't think so.

• I like it 8

I'm always somewhat surprised at just how good this is after not having had any for a while.

20181214_192442-784x1613.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 4

Going cheap tonight with a little HH90. With the BIB impossible to find this is still a great second option. I paid 24 after tax for a 1.75 which is like 10 bucks a bottle. Love this stuff!

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Fear of losing my Cult Card led me to having a healthy pour of 2014 FR LE SmB. Well, that and it's Friday. Also, it looked damn inviting just sitting there on the bar. Plus, it's really, really good.

Aw hell, do you really need a reason to drink great whiskey? Didn't think so.

Wow I actually had some of that tonight myself at a bar (because I'm not lucky enough to have my own bottle hah. Tonight's bar pours:

2014 FRSmBLE

2012 FRSmBLE

2017 WLW

OWA PS NCF

WT RR 2002

• I like it 2

35 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Wow I actually had some of that tonight myself at a bar (because I'm not lucky enough to have my own bottle hah. Tonight's bar pours:

2014 FRSmBLE

2012 FRSmBLE

2017 WLW

OWA PS NCF

WT RR 2002

Damn, I hope that bar bill was expensed!  :D

• I like it 1

On Wed I traded a Pappy 15 for 3 Weller 12 175s and a Weller 12 750. I’ve have the 15 since 2010 bought at MSRP (75.00). Love it but like W12 better. Weller 12 not as easy to find as it used to be here in the Lone Star State. 

New here. Hello all!

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

2014 FRSmBLE

2012 FRSmBLE

2017 WLW

OWA PS NCF

WT RR 2002

What were your thoughts on the '17 WLW and the RR 2002?

Decided to do smaller pours and have more variety than most nights. So I started with a Loch & K(e)y select Blanton's which is amazing. That was followed by the last of a state select KCSB. It was back to basics to finish off the evening with a pout of FR Small Batch. Three very different pours, but all tasty and hit the spot. Cheers!

40 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

On Wed I traded a Pappy 15 for 3 Weller 12 175s and a Weller 12 750. I’ve have the 15 since 2010 bought at MSRP (75.00). Love it but like W12 better. Weller 12 not as easy to find as it used to be here in the Lone Star State. 

New here. Hello all!

Thanks for the re-update...

Joe, apologies for disturbing you with my re-post. Just figured I would get into another thread and introduce myself. I enjoy reading everyone’s comments and I’ve learned so much from everyone here. So you’re welcome for the re-update. If I find any more Weller 12 I’ll make sure and re-re-update. 

• I like it 1

HH27. A local store opened this at their bar. The nose was fantastic. I could smell it just walking past someone with a glass. Oaky and earthy. Someone else mentioned chocolate. The taste was not earth shattering. Very heavy oak as expected with an old dustiness to it. It was described as "licking grandma's attic". I think its the oldest bourbon I've ever tasted. Glad I got to try it but also glad I didn't win this in a lottery.

20181215_144602-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Clueby said:

HH27. A local store opened this at their bar. The nose was fantastic. I could smell it just walking past someone with a glass. Oaky and earthy. Someone else mentioned chocolate. The taste was not earth shattering. Very heavy oak as expected with an old dustiness to it. It was described as "licking grandma's attic". I think its the oldest bourbon I've ever tasted. Glad I got to try it but also glad I didn't win this in a lottery.

20181215_144602-784x1613.jpg

Wow. What did a pour run you? 

41 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Wow. What did a pour run you? 

$25. Not great but not terrible. Was worth the experience. 

• I like it 1

Technically bourbon enjoyment because there is Elijah Craig in it....along with Appleton and Hennessy :)

I’ve made Alton Brown’s aged eggnog a couple of times but this is the best that it’s ever been. 10 weeks aged.

Seriously good!
IMG_2028.jpg

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

$25. Not great but not terrible. Was worth the experience. 

That pic is making my mouth water. Someone else on here paid $100 for a pour i believe. 

Went with three different selections this evening. Started the afternoon off with an old EC Store Select Single Barrel from a few years ago. Moved on to some WT Rare Breed and a night cap of Four Roses Small Batch which finished the bottle.

Enjoyed an old fashioned with WT101 earlier tonight with dinner, followed by WT101 with a big cube.  Now  RY10SiB in a glencairn is really hitting the spot.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, smokinjoe said:

Damn, I hope that bar bill was expensed!  :D

Well the RR and the 4R were half pours

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, elmossle said:

What were your thoughts on the '17 WLW and the RR 2002?

I've had the RR before and it's fantastic Turkey.  WLW always lives up to its stellar reputation.  It's almost always going to be the best thing you drink on a given day, and it was here too.

Blended the “poor man’s pappy” made famous here about 2 months ago. This is my first time trying and I must say, it is phenomenal. 

606B66A1-F515-4622-BFA6-D64DE8D19EA8.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Statesboro Blues said:

Blended the SB blend made famous here about 2 months ago. This is my first time trying and I must say, it is phenomenal. 

606B66A1-F515-4622-BFA6-D64DE8D19EA8.jpeg

FYP

Revisiting Bulleit BP, from a bottle I've had open for a couple of years.  Being from the initial KY only release, I know it's 4R in the bottle, but this still doesn't do it for me.  The typical 4R profile is there, but it's definitely missing the layered depth of tricks, favors, and complexities that I've become accustomed to (and spoiled by) with other similar aged 4R distillate. 

Maybe 2.5, or 3 Roses? :0  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.