What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m sure it’s wonderful stuff, but I’ve never had the pleasure...enjoy!

Well someone needs a sample then.

• I like it 1

Well someone needs a sample then.

Maybe one of these days we’ll make it to Bardstown at the same time again. [emoji3][emoji106]
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Maybe one of these days we’ll make it to Bardstown at the same time again. emoji3.pngemoji106.png

If you're in B'town for this coming April's gathering, I'll bring you some to try, Icpfratn.   :)  Try to remind me in early April, or I'll forget, though.  ;)

• I like it 1

Well..I poured myself some MWND, sat down on the couch, and promptly fell asleep. Woke up to my wife enjoying the pour. So I technically enjoyed nothing. 

• I like it 6

Well..I poured myself some MWND, sat down on the couch, and promptly fell asleep. Woke up to my wife enjoying the pour. So I technically enjoyed nothing. 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • I like it 1

22 hours ago, flahute said:

I opened a PH Promise of Hope for the holidays. This is such a superior bourbon.

I remember some people being disappointed with its 96 proof, but I'm all in with you on this bottle Steve. Superior indeed!

Looks like I've got a leading candidate for what to open next :) 

RRSiB from the 4th floor of warehouse A. This one pairs well with putting up the Christmas tree. This bottle is fantastic. 

20181204_210525.jpg

• I like it 2

Tonight opened a new bottle of BT Single Barrel from the Loch & K(e)y folks. While it was good, I am thinking it will open up more with a little air time. I decided to follow that up with some WTRB which was fantastic as always. I need to make sure to get some more of it for Xmas. The state has it on sale right now.  

After cracking open PHC12, I moved on to big brother PHC11. In comparison, 11 is such an elegant whiskey. 

20181204_221426-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

FacePlant hosted a bourbon and rye tasting tonight with myself and several other fellas in attendance. Thanks again for the dinner and your hospitality.

We started the evening with a blind tasting arranged by FacePlant that we later learned consisted of EC18, Henry McKenna BIB and WHH16. Our goal wasn’t to pick a winner or loser, but to contrast the differences that age and ABV can have on the same mashbill. We were told that each pour came from the same distillery and mashbill, but at different ages and increasing proof. I think if we were to pick a winner, the William Heavenhill 16yr was the consensus winner, but we were all amazed at how well the Henry McKenna held its own against the other two...even though most of us would probably rate it third in this matchup, it was definitely a strong contender.

After the blind tasting it was an open table of tasting many other wonderful bourbons and ryes...reminiscent of a good night at the GN gazebo in B’town. The selection included WLW (two years), THH, ER17, BSFTB, BM Black Belle, Lock Stock & Barrel 16yo, OF14, PH Curaçao Barrel Finished, Maker’s Private Select, ETL, HWMWND, Blue Note BP (almost 14yo) and Peg Leg Porker 12yo. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, but a fine selection, and it was enjoyed by all.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

FacePlant hosted a bourbon and rye tasting tonight with myself and several other fellas in attendance. Thanks again for the dinner and your hospitality.

We started the evening with a blind tasting arranged by FacePlant that we later learned consisted of EC18, Henry McKenna BIB and WHH16. Our goal wasn’t to pick a winner or loser, but to contrast the differences that age and ABV can have on the same mashbill. We were told that each pour came from the same distillery and mashbill, but at different ages and increasing proof. I think if we were to pick a winner, the William Heavenhill 16yr was the consensus winner, but we were all amazed at how well the Henry McKenna held its own against the other two...even though most of us would probably rate it third in this matchup, it was definitely a strong contender.

After the blind tasting it was an open table of tasting many other wonderful bourbons and ryes...reminiscent of a good night at the GN gazebo in B’town. The selection included WLW (two years), THH, ER17, BSFTB, BM Black Belle, Lock Stock & Barrel 16yo, OF14, PH Curaçao Barrel Finished, Maker’s Private Select, ETL, HWMWND, Blue Note BP (almost 14yo) and Peg Leg Porker 12yo. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, but a fine selection, and it was enjoyed by all.

That sounds like a great tasting lineup and open table. It must have been an off palate night for you guys though because we all know HMKBiB is disgusting swill. 

How’s Wednesday morning feeling? 

That sounds like a great tasting lineup and open table. It must have been an off palate night for you guys though because we all know HMKBiB is disgusting swill. 

How’s Wednesday morning feeling? 

I’m feeling fine. I always stay hydrated and eat a little food when I’m drinking, and drinking whiskey neat doesn’t seem to bother me as much as beer, wine or cocktails...But, thank goodness I didn’t drink too much of that disgusting swill HMKBiB! [emoji6]

Finally found another single barrel, two months after finishing my last. Why are the great ones so difficult to find?

FEE66427-EC6E-4F8F-8DAB-4B35BD659CDA.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m feeling fine. I always stay hydrated and eat a little food when I’m drinking, and drinking whiskey neat doesn’t seem to bother me as much as beer, wine or cocktails...But, thank goodness I didn’t drink too much of that disgusting swill HMKBiB! emoji6.png

Great fun last night lcpfratn. Wonderful company and what a way to crank up for the Holidays. You guys sure brought the big guns and it was a pleasure to enjoy them with you fellows. Look forward to doing it again soon.

• I like it 1

As I type this the Misses is pouring these (1/2 oz. Each) for a blind comparison. It seemed like an appropriate way to celebrate the end of prohibition. 

20181205_174201.jpg

• I like it 4

I’m having some HPR this evening. I have the distinct feeling that this bottle will be headed to the “Big Blue Bin”  very soon. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Enjoying a great afternoon by the fire. Cooked some pork steaks for the family and now I’m enjoying some good country music, my dog, and some good bourbon. I’m not even sure what I’m drinking. 

812FDEC0-8612-438D-9FA0-43731150EE46.thumb.jpeg.552c92d134024a95e6e3bccbf0017819.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

As I type this the Misses is pouring these (1/2 oz. Each) for a blind comparison. It seemed like an appropriate way to celebrate the end of prohibition. 

20181205_174201.jpg

You need a Lukas pick to add to that lineup.  The current one is pretty darn good.

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20181205_174201.jpg

I’ll be right over. 

25 minutes ago, 0895 said:

You need a Lukas pick to add to that lineup.  The current one is pretty darn good.

I'll have to swing by there. My favorite of the bunch was a TW pick from the 7th floor. I can't remember if it was from Brentwood or Town and Country. The other one from TW was great as well. 

7 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I’ll be right over. 

I wasnt surprised that the non store pick (old label) could not keep up with all but one of the store picks. I highly recommend having someone do a blind pour of all yours. 

42 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Buffalo Trace at the hotel bar while on a business trip this week in Indianapolis

BC6A1DCD-0F43-41E5-B3EF-4BF6175AFE7E.jpeg

Are you staying downtown or in the burbs?

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Are you staying downtown or in the burbs?

Downtown. Big trade show. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.