What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I’m not cleaning that up! #fourrosesfriday

425776F9-E3A9-46F3-B003-6F7BE72FDC61.jpeg

He's obviously not ready for barrel proof

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What is BOTY?

That pour looks amazing AND with the VSOF and CGF in the background it’s a veritable unicorn herd! Wonder what’s in the paisley bag? Probably something incredible!

That acts as a curtain so that our Bourbonian Of The Year, Vosgar, can keep his balls intact!  :D  I knew it would come in handy one day...  

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Night cap.

Cheers!

EiGuyO1.jpg

Nice glass - Trillium Brewery is a 20 minute drive from me.  How'd you get the glass????????   ☺️

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Nice glass - Trillium Brewery is a 20 minute drive from me.  How'd you get the glass????????   ☺️

Cool. I've had many brews from Trillium and Tree House, awesome brews! I bought both glasses on-line from both breweries.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:30 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I was really undecided as to where I was going to post this. Well, here's where it's landed. ;)

I'm having a nice pour of 2017 WLW this evening for a number of reasons.

Reason #1. It's been a helluva long week at work. :mellow: I deserve it. 

Reason #2. I received my yearly company Xmas gift/bonus today, and it was better than expected. :o

Reason #3. It's freakin' good! :P

Reason #4. Why not? After all, I am the self proclaimed Weller whore of SB.com. :D

Reason #5. I entered a drawing at a store for their Pappy and BTAC allocation. The luck of the Irish must have been with me. Imagine my surprise when I got the call that my name had been drawn. Even better was the fact that I actually got my choice from the BTAC. (No ER17) Of course I chose the WLW. So I'm celebrating getting a 2018 WLW with a couple of pours of 2017 WLW. "Don't git much better'n that Vern." What can I say?^_^

A shout out to Vosgar and Galvin0791. Thanks guys. I had a really great time last night. Dinner was good, the pours afterwards were better, but the company was the best. 

Biba! Joe

wlw18.jpeg

Let me know when you crack your WLW 18, I haven't opened mine yet.  Looking forward to tasting notes.

• I like it 2

Enjoyed a pour of 1792 while at the Fabuous Fox Theatre last night to see the opening night of a newly done “The Nutcracker” by the Atlanta Ballet.  What an awesome show and the Fox’s beauty can make anything taste great.

E5FD0C22-4CF3-4E72-9179-82A7C0F9A52D.jpeg

119A95A5-E1B7-4794-9A26-7F7E54E6FA84.jpeg

• I like it 7

Pulling dead weeds (the best way to do it) all afternoon.  Rewards:  OE 7 Barrel Strength and last pour of a 9Y FR PS OBSK.  Still waiting for the OE 7 BS to show me something.  The OBSK  is one of ten reasons why I carry my cult card...

• I like it 2

On 12/7/2018 at 6:30 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I was really undecided as to where I was going to post this. Well, here's where it's landed. ;)

I'm having a nice pour of 2017 WLW this evening for a number of reasons.

Reason #1. It's been a helluva long week at work. :mellow: I deserve it. 

Reason #2. I received my yearly company Xmas gift/bonus today, and it was better than expected. :o

Reason #3. It's freakin' good! :P

Reason #4. Why not? After all, I am the self proclaimed Weller whore of SB.com. :D

Reason #5. I entered a drawing at a store for their Pappy and BTAC allocation. The luck of the Irish must have been with me. Imagine my surprise when I got the call that my name had been drawn. Even better was the fact that I actually got my choice from the BTAC. (No ER17) Of course I chose the WLW. So I'm celebrating getting a 2018 WLW with a couple of pours of 2017 WLW. "Don't git much better'n that Vern." What can I say?^_^

A shout out to Vosgar and Galvin0791. Thanks guys. I had a really great time last night. Dinner was good, the pours afterwards were better, but the company was the best. 

Biba! Joe

wlw18.jpeg

Watch that Santa character, he looks like he is eyeing your WLW!  Haha

On 12/7/2018 at 11:19 PM, EarthQuake said:

I've got Rheotric 23 and 24 open right now, and a 25 waiting a couple weeks to be opened. The 23 is pretty good, the oak is starting to take over but it hasn't quite. The 24 I still find enjoyable, but the balance is completely off at this point, it's oak, oak and more oak. I expect the 25 to continue the trend. So maybe 23 was the tipping point, but I find it a rather fascinating lesson in aging.

Rhetoric 21/22 were pretty good too, but harder to track down these days.

Of the other, reasonably obtained Orphan Barrels, Barterhouse is the sweet spot for me. Lovely dessert notes balanced perfectly with a touch of spice, leather, and plenty of dry oak. One of my favorite whiskies overall. I never had a chance to try Rhetoric 20 but I assume it's extremely similar to Barterhouse.

Yeah, I'm a little bit leery of the whole Orphan Barrel series because of the marketing, but I enjoyed the first Barterhouse enough to buy a second one.  I think that's the only one I could say of that series, although I'd stab another Rhetoric 20 if I could find one at retail.

• I like it 1

Went to a friends house last night to watch Sunday Night Football (I still despise Chris Collinsworth) and 5 of us enjoyed the hosts bottle of Blanton's. Great whiskey, but what blew me away was that he said he got it at a charity event silent auction for $40... and then asked if that was a good price. Obviously he's not a big bourbon guy, but he always has good stuff at his house for guys like me :) 

2 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

Yeah, I'm a little bit leery of the whole Orphan Barrel series because of the marketing, but I enjoyed the first Barterhouse enough to buy a second one.  I think that's the only one I could say of that series, although I'd stab another Rhetoric 20 if I could find one at retail.

Yeah I've been through probably 3 or 4 bottles of Barterhouse and I think I have 2 more in reserve. In my mind it's roughly on par with Elijah Craig 18, but generally at about half the price and considerably easier to find. Though I haven't seen any in a while. I should have picked up a few when I was in Chicago last year and they had dozens at Binny's.

Lost Prophet was great as well, if I had a time machine I would go back and pick up a few of those when it was released.

Been busy getting all my cookies and candies made for Christmas so I haven't been around the past few days.  On Saturday we went to Doc Crow's in Louisville for my wife's work Christmas party and had a healthy pour of ER.  After that we toured the new Old Forester distillery on Whiskey Row.  Our tasting consisted of OF Statesman, OF 100 proof and OF 1920.  After that we headed to a friends house for her annual Christmas party and  enjoyed some Larceny, 4R SmB and EC.  Needless to say I took Sunday off. ?

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

Four Roses Small Batch is tasting so good.  When will my cult card come in the mail?

Own at least half of the recipes, from at least 3 different liquor stores.  Tour the distillery and the bottling plant.  Sell your plasma to get a limited edition small batch.  Then you can apply for membership

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

Four Roses Small Batch is tasting so good.  When will my cult card come in the mail?

• I like it 1

On 12/7/2018 at 10:59 PM, CUfan99 said:

I’m not cleaning that up! #fourrosesfriday

425776F9-E3A9-46F3-B003-6F7BE72FDC61.jpeg

That the OBSF?

36 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

That the OBSF?

Yes, 8yr & 8mo @ 59.6 abv. It’s dang tasty but our OESK’s have it beat. Their 100 proof OBSV pick is decent too.

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Enjoying this myself tonight. For the price it's a great pour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.