Jump to content
kevinbrink

What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

Recommended Posts

HoustonNit

Enough talk about replacements for HH6yr BIB and Old Ezra 101 7yr came up that I decided to pick this up. It’s to me very similar to HH6yr actually more so than EWBIB and Fighting Cock 6yr.

IMG_5367.thumb.JPG.f7f3f142c1b9cc5b2a5d3b44cc822856.JPG

 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
foppa78

I really like KC 120 SiB and Bookers so I figured it made sense to give Bakers a try. It rang up $49 but the shelf tag said $39 so they honored the shelf price. I will crack it open sometime this weekend. How do you guys think it compares?

 

gYqjya3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CUfan99

I picked up some backups for the bunker. 

3228402A-CF8A-4794-9FB5-288006EBF7EF.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CUfan99
14 minutes ago, foppa78 said:

I really like KC 120 SiB and Bookers so I figured it made sense to give Bakers a try. It rang up $49 but the shelf tag said $39 so they honored the shelf price. I will crack it open sometime this weekend. How do you guys think it compares?

 

gYqjya3.jpg

You’ll like it and you got a steal at $39. I paid a dollar more for a CEHT SmB today and thought I did well. You got the better deal.  

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Masset1982
13 hours ago, beasled said:

In europe already?

It’s a little early but yeah, can’t wait to try it. 

 

Will.

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
9 hours ago, foppa78 said:

I really like KC 120 SiB and Bookers so I figured it made sense to give Bakers a try. It rang up $49 but the shelf tag said $39 so they honored the shelf price. I will crack it open sometime this weekend. How do you guys think it compares?

 

gYqjya3.jpg

I personally tend to like it more than KC SiB but less than Booker's, there are many days for me when 107 proof bourbon is really perfect. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw

Been enjoying the MGP lately. Curious to see how the Redemption stacks up vs the Blaum Bros. 

 

Agree with some of the others on here that batch 2 of little book is much more interesting than batch one. 

 

Not pictured, but also picked up a Kathleen’s Batch Booker’s. I have previously stated I did not care for Bookers at all. That was a long time ago and so it’s time to revisit. 

95672884-B0B0-47F1-9906-35B4DDBC02FC.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mfly86
Been enjoying the MGP lately. Curious to see how the Redemption stacks up vs the Blaum Bros. 
 
Agree with some of the others on here that batch 2 of little book is much more interesting than batch one. 
 
Not pictured, but also picked up a Kathleen’s Batch Booker’s. I have previously stated I did not care for Bookers at all. That was a long time ago and so it’s time to revisit. 
95672884-B0B0-47F1-9906-35B4DDBC02FC.thumb.jpeg.62945f286d121c0c4f73254b1c4ce61b.jpeg


I picked up a bottle of redemption wheated and it is really good. I have been thinking to grab some other redemption offerings. Let me know what you think of the bourbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bourbon-n00b

Still learning my way around St Louis.  Got a tip from a fellow SBer about a PS RRSB.  On my way there,  I came up on a Total Wine and More where I grabbed these:

 

20181013_143643.thumb.jpg.5824f1d0c518a4f0a30192a97520f847.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bourbon-n00b

Arrived at Lukas amid a beer tasting.  Five bucks for all you wanted from maybe 8 stations.  Very tempting, but drinking and driving didn't seem like the best idea (even moreso in unfamiliar territory) so I passed.  That's about all i ended up passing on. 

 

Time for my aching wallet to take a break.

 

 

20181013_145121.jpg

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CUfan99
53 minutes ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Still learning my way around St Louis.  Got a tip from a fellow SBer about a PS RRSB.  On my way there,  I came up on a Total Wine and More where I grabbed these:

 

20181013_143643.thumb.jpg.5824f1d0c518a4f0a30192a97520f847.jpg

The October of 06 barrels are very good. I’m jealous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bourbon-n00b
10 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

The October of 06 barrels are very good. I’m jealous. 

Excellent to hear!  Seems very comparable to a Michigan release called Mayor Pingree.  Those are 90 and the Belle Meade are 65.  Can't beat that and if the contents are worthy, I'll be a happy guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JGriff

Good couple of days. 

AD61265B-B856-4C50-ACE7-364FFCBD8BB8.jpeg

  • I like it 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Statesboro Blues

Finally got my hands on Blanton’s SFTB. I can’t wait for it to get cool enough in South Ga to build a fire and enjoy a pour of it. 

35108ED0-7EBE-4EFC-9512-C69E0A33D4FC.jpeg

Edited by Statesboro Blues
  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Statesboro Blues
On 10/11/2018 at 9:06 PM, CUfan99 said:

Cut em all Jack!

Got the redheads with one shot believe it or not. They’re relatively easy to decoy, but I’m still proud of it. Got two gadwalls that morning also to finish the limit, but they were a little too shot up to add to the mount. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jfletchgu

In Destin for vacation and picked up this bottom shelfer, Tom Sims 86 proof 6 year. Pretty good for 12 bucks. Anyone had any experience with it?

86290FFC-8EC6-4A31-B037-0123C5C3C34F.jpeg

Edited by Jfletchgu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
elmossle

Added another bottle of WSR to the bunker today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
2 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

In Destin for vacation and picked up this bottom shelfer, Tom Sims 86 proof 6 year. Pretty good for 12 bucks. Anyone had any experience with it?

86290FFC-8EC6-4A31-B037-0123C5C3C34F.jpeg

6 year old Heaven Hill bourbon, not sure that it's still being bottled but hey you can certainly do far worse and I would assume this is a fairly good value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskeythink.com
On 10/12/2018 at 7:30 PM, HoustonNit said:

Enough talk about replacements for HH6yr BIB and Old Ezra 101 7yr came up that I decided to pick this up. It’s to me very similar to HH6yr actually more so than EWBIB and Fighting Cock 6yr.

IMG_5367.thumb.JPG.f7f3f142c1b9cc5b2a5d3b44cc822856.JPG

 

I actually like OE7 over the HH6. That extra year seems to me to make it just woody enough to balance the sweet better.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jfletchgu
7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

6 year old Heaven Hill bourbon, not sure that it's still being bottled but hey you can certainly do far worse and I would assume this is a fairly good value.

It was $11.99 for a 750 and $22.99 for a 1.75. I bought it at the Florida ABC, and it didn't appear to be in short supply or dusty which makes me believe it is still being bottled. Definitely a good value pour though. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fanostra

Was lucky to get a W12 family size today - plus a Russell's Reserve barrel pick. Grabbed a David Nicholson 1843 for good measure to try out, since I was in a good mood from the W12.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
On 10/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, bourbon-n00b said:

Still learning my way around St Louis.  Got a tip from a fellow SBer about a PS RRSB.  On my way there,  I came up on a Total Wine and More where I grabbed these:

 

20181013_143643.thumb.jpg.5824f1d0c518a4f0a30192a97520f847.jpg

 

I actually took one of those to a blind tasting (12 bottles) last night.   I came home with first place and a nearly empty bottle :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

 

I actually took one of those to a blind tasting (12 bottles) last night.   I came home with first place and a nearly empty bottle :)

What was it up against?  I have an 11yo that I haven't cracked yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
1 hour ago, fosmith said:

What was it up against?  I have an 11yo that I haven't cracked yet...

You know, the usual common stuff:

btac, pappy, Weller, etc. 

 

:)

no, actually it was a blind for bourbon not distilled in KY.   Lots of craft stuff and some other mgp’s. 

Edited by 0895

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
On 10/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, mfly86 said:

 


I picked up a bottle of redemption wheated and it is really good. I have been thinking to grab some other redemption offerings. Let me know what you think of the bourbon.

 

Very solid. Did it vs the Blaum 10 year bond. Really very similar. The nose of the Redemption was a bit sweeter, but the Blaum just had more depth overall.  Plus it’s $13 cheaper so that’s a double win.  Either way, I’d say the Redemption is well worth a purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...