What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Still not loving Booker’s after revisiting and opening Kathleen’s batch recently. However, I have found most KC store picks to be very good.  

5B0F18B2-EF07-4657-9EB8-9624BACCE135.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Ok, ok - I know I'm WEAK!  Went to a special L&K tasting of Angel's Envy last night w/Wes Henderson, Lincoln's son.  Tasted white dog (new make), the aged (4-6 yr) bourbon before port barrel finishing (very good, BTW), and then the final port barrel-finished (extra 6 months) bourbon.  Then they rolled out the rum-finished rye in a free (!) Angel's Envy glass (someone stole mine!) - great mouthfeel, rich sweet & spice on the nose and palate, with a long warm finish.  Wes gave a very entertaining and informative presentation. 

Then they rolled out eight (8) bottles of the 2018 Cask Strength.  Maybe it was the chocolate that was served with the rye, maybe it was the high-end tequila that I had with the wife at dinner (Casa Dragones Joven Sipping Tequila, Don Julio 1942 & Patron Gran Burdeos), or maybe it my affection for shiny things, but this followed me home:

2018 Angel's Envy Cask Strength.jpg

And Wes was kind enough to sign the bottle for me:

2018 Angel's Envy Cask Strength Wes Henderson.jpg

I'll post some tasting notes when I open her up in the Angel's Envy Cask Strength thread that I started last week.  So much for attaining bourbon zen, eh?   ☺️

we visited the Friday before release of the Cask Strength. They wouldn't sell it to me. East Louisville Total Wine had it for $175... so I saved $25. Have not opened yet. Have you?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Backdoctor said:

we visited the Friday before release of the Cask Strength. They wouldn't sell it to me. East Louisville Total Wine had it for $175... so I saved $25. Have not opened yet. Have you?

Nope, not yet.  Will post tasting notes in the relevant thread later.   ☺️

On 10/18/2018 at 7:43 PM, jshleffar said:

Picked up all the stuff I had at will call waiting at my local not all bourbon but...  Left to right

CEHT small, CEHT BP, 2x midwinter nights dram, Double rye at 108 proof with 3 year bourbon finish, ECBP c918, Belle Meade cask  strength reserve, 2x RR store pick (43$ each) and paranubes Oaxacan agricole

IMG_20181018_161444.jpg

Nice find on the Midwinters night, been looking have not found one yet. 

Nice trip to the Motherland this weekend. 2 WTRB 375’s @ $15 (should’ve got more), 3 ECBP C918, 4R SBLE (found on the shelf at Kroger), a WTKS and 101 Rye both signed by Jimmy. LB Pappy raffle, WT and UK night game Saturday, a day at Keeneland on Sunday. Then 4Roses and BT on Monday. 

F6BA9BAF-C380-45F1-B783-89EFFB8D2734.jpeg

• I like it 8

4 hours ago, mross said:

Nice find on the Midwinters night, been looking have not found one yet. 

Where are you in NJ, fairly sure I know a few places that still have last years batch in Bergen County. 

I found a 1.75 of Weller's on sale for $33. I've had this before but now is a good time to try it again plus my wife really wanted to try it. 

jS4lWJJ.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Curious about your thoughts when you open this one.

I'm interested as well on OF1910. It just showed up here but its carrying a $10 premium over 1920.

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Where are you in NJ, fairly sure I know a few places that still have last years batch in Bergen County. 

I'm in Medford, Burlington County.

46 minutes ago, mross said:

I'm in Medford, Burlington County.

Well if you want to know where to find some up north here just shoot me a PM and I'll check to see if they are still there, prices were $85 & $89.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Well if you want to know where to find some up north here just shoot me a PM and I'll check to see if they are still there, prices were $85 & $89.

Worth finding in my humble opinion.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

I'm interested as well on OF1910. It just showed up here but its carrying a $10 premium over 1920.

Agreed, I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts.

15 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Agreed, I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts.

OF 1910 is priced about the same as 1920 here in NJ, about $55.  I opened a bottle last week, and only had a pour that first night.  I'll give it another go shortly.  First impressions were positive, as long as you like the OF profile (which I do).  Also, because of the use of the second charred barrel, there are elements of that OF profile that are somewhat masked, but not in a bad way.  I recall my reaction being, "yum".  It struck me positively.  YMMV.

30 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

OF 1910 is priced about the same as 1920 here in NJ, about $55.  I opened a bottle last week, and only had a pour that first night.  I'll give it another go shortly.  First impressions were positive, as long as you like the OF profile (which I do).  Also, because of the use of the second charred barrel, there are elements of that OF profile that are somewhat masked, but not in a bad way.  I recall my reaction being, "yum".  It struck me positively.  YMMV.

Cool, I love the OF profile, one of my favorites.  I don't think it will ever be around here in PA, will try to go out of state to find it.

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

Today

20181024_212710.jpeg

Imma gonna need a report on that one when you get the chance.

• I like it 1

Is it comparable to Woodford Double Oaked?

45 minutes ago, Paddy said:

;)More WT, RRSB and RB.  One can’t have too much!

Like the true Lawrenceburg man you are.

17 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I pray not.

Just got a 1.75L Weller 12, a 750 Weller 12 and another 750 Weller 12 in gift basket with rocks glass and two cigars. Guess I like Weller 12?

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Never had the Woodford Double Oaked.  Very much not a Woodford fan, so I shy away from their products.

26 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I pray not.

I in general do not like BF bourbons but the best I have had was a "Single Barrel" WR DO, which makes me believe anything is possible!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.