Fun with TTB COLA's Online

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

PLEASE NOTE that my flasks are to bring in alternative liquid, as to avoid the possibility of drinking the Litchfield product. I'm pretty sure the glass I dumped in the bathroom sink was their own distillate.

Note taken!

Another KC LE this time Bourbon partially aged in Quarter Casks

Starlight Bottled in Bond Private Selection out of Indiana 

Clyde Mays 10 Year CS KSBW 

What I would guess to be an Oscar Pepper Gift shop bottle, reminds me of Woodford's Distillery bottle labels, not to mention the small format 

A TN outfit prominently listing their Master Distiller on a bottle of sourced IN Bourbon

A collaboration between Tuthilltown/Hudson and Tiffany, guess Luxury doesn't need to taste good 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

A collaboration between Tuthilltown/Hudson and Tiffany, guess Luxury doesn't need to taste good 

"...guess luxury doesn't have to taste good". :lol:  HAH-Hee-Hooooo!  :lol: Yer killin' me, Kevin! :D

On 6/24/2019 at 8:21 PM, kevinbrink said:

Nothing like throwing a bunch of big old 8's on a 3 year old bourbon

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19134001001117

If it's called a straight bourbon and it's less than 4 years old, doesn't the age statement have to be in months?  Or did I imagine that requirement?

2 hours ago, TheNovaMan said:

If it's called a straight bourbon and it's less than 4 years old, doesn't the age statement have to be in months?  Or did I imagine that requirement?

Nope, plenty of stuff out there is properly labeled 2 or 3 years old, Old Crow, Old Overholt for example

• I like it 1

I really want to support the local team but what I’ve had from them really kind of sucks. New Riff they are not.
  • I like it 2

Very Olde St Nick Cask Strength Summer Rye, never understood why these labels are filed here do any end up on American Shelves?

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19168001000926

Old Elk Cask Strength Single Barrels

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=19168001000899

On 6/1/2019 at 2:47 AM, PaulO said:

Yeah, seems like a waste of a new barrel.

Could eventually result in a bitchin' Scotch or tequila, with way more extractives left behind to give.

I was thinking 6 month aged TN bourbon @ 80 proof sure would be a pass for me.

Maybe as you say,  a lot of flavor left in the barrel for refill.

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Oats as the flavor grain?    Hmmmmmmm.  :mellow:   I dunno 'bout dat....

1 minute ago, Richnimrod said:

I'll say this, for what it is worth, when Beam did the Signature Craft Harvest series I thought the Oat one was actually pretty good.

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'll say this, for what it is worth, when Beam did the Signature Craft Harvest series I thought the Oat one was actually pretty good.

OK, I never had an opportunity to try that one.    I won't say your comment sold me on this; but, it gives me  . . . hope ... maybe.

4 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

OK, I never had an opportunity to try that one.    I won't say your comment sold me on this; but, it gives me  . . . hope ... maybe.

Oh it's definitely a reach, that Beam was 11 years old and 90 proof, and distilled by a guy named Booker who had been making Bourbon for a minute

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

High West Silver Whiskey Western Oat circa 2014? 2016?  Don't remember when I bought it, but about 2/3 of it is STILL on the shelf.  Billed as an 80 proof, un-aged, white whiskey (85% oat, 15% malted barley), HW's "Info Sheet Download" says it is "akin to a blanco tequila". 

In other words, I dunno about that, either.  I do know that it'll take more than HWSWWO or something similar to make me give up the Hornitos Plata I use in my margaritas, and since I don't drink tequila by itself . . .

I seem to recall several years ago, BT released one of their experiments - bourbon with oats in the mash bill.  It was an expensive 375ml bottle.  Reviews were not kind.

20 hours ago, PaulO said:

I seem to recall several years ago, BT released one of their experiments - bourbon with oats in the mash bill.  It was an expensive 375ml bottle.  Reviews were not kind.

I was (un)lucky enough to drop the coin on that one as well as the only slightly less dismal rice bottle, I had almost forgot about that so er.... thanks :( 

43 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Uh oh.  I left craft beer when "they" started finishing the beer in all kinds of used barrels - molasses, bourbon, scotch, other beer - and it became difficult to find a basic, lightly hopped session offering.  I could put up with finishing bourbon in sherry and port casks although I sort of felt like I was drinking a cocktail instead of a "straight bourbon" that is about 6 years old.  NOW, the worm has turned, the dog is biting the hand that feeds it, etc.  What's next?  Bourbon infused with the essence of artichoke?  THIS sure sounds like, to pick a phrase from my ill-spent youth (i.e., 35-40 YO) - Bourbon is in danger of "jumping the shark" like Fonzie in 1977.?  STOP MESSING WITH IT!!

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh oh.  I left craft beer when "they" started finishing the beer in all kinds of used barrels - molasses, bourbon, scotch, other beer - and it became difficult to find a basic, lightly hopped session offering.  I could put up with finishing bourbon in sherry and port casks although I sort of felt like I was drinking a cocktail instead of a "straight bourbon" that is about 6 years old.  NOW, the worm has turned, the dog is biting the hand that feeds it, etc.  What's next?  Bourbon infused with the essence of artichoke?  THIS sure sounds like, to pick a phrase from my ill-spent youth (i.e., 35-40 YO) - Bourbon is in danger of "jumping the shark" like Fonzie in 1977.?  STOP MESSING WITH IT!!

Im with ya but have you tried Dovetail? 

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Im with ya but have you tried Dovetail? 

Well, yeah.  I didn't say I HATED the result.  DAMMIT but I like Dovetail and Isaac Bowman and JAM's Cigar!!  I just feel like I'm kidding myself into thinking these are just another style of bourbon when, in fact, they are FLAVORED.  Not that there's anything wrong with that in the abstract.  BUT!! Falling back on the craft beer experience, the brewers are running out of new and different and ever-so-cute substances to add to their mash.   Well, maybe NOT running out.  I saw a "Made with fermented watermelon rind" on a 9%er the other day that also noted an IBU of over 150.  Thank goodness for the bourbon boom - the flavored stuff has not caused noticeable shelf encroachment on my section.  But go look at the vodka section - flavoreds dwarf raw vodka.  Makes me want to go beef up the bunker just to make stores recognize there's a market for the basics.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Certainly not as old as they once were!

But probably just as much $$... :wacko:

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.