What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Working my way through this bottle. Not the best, but it’s serviceable.

70974BAC-8407-4392-B0EC-61E02F38594C.thumb.jpeg.6b2c74e2f50216fc09494d22104a151e.jpeg

Ha you’ve made a bigger dent than I have. The BT signature fruitiness is there but very one dimensional and a little hot. It’s not bad but also not good, can’t expect much for a bottom shelfer. I’ve been going through a stash of older 80 proof 8 year that’s so much better. Was hoping this would be similar but with some extra proof but no.
  • I like it 2

Purchased, Opened & Enjoying for the first time...

Not favored over my favorite store select KC120, but better than the other KC120's I've tried. (about 4 of them). More oak & burnt chocolate on the finish than the KC's, but similar in the bursting of complex flavors. It cost's more but if the consistency is there over the Sibs then worthy of a permanent opened bottle shelf space...

20190207_180851.thumb.jpg.5c2824f2da4cbd3fda1287438e9114d7.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Ha you’ve made a bigger dent than I have. The BT signature fruitiness is there but very one dimensional and a little hot. It’s not bad but also not good, can’t expect much for a bottom shelfer. I’ve been going through a stash of older 80 proof 8 year that’s so much better. Was hoping this would be similar but with some extra proof but no.

I agree on all points. The sweetness does tame the heat a bit - enough to make it decent. It does make a nice old fashioned I must admit.

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Just poured a Weller SR. Went ahead and pulled my bottle of 107 out too for the next pour.

My guess is that you will like your next pour quite a bit more...

1 minute ago, bayouredd said:

My guess is that you will like your next pour quite a bit more...

Try blending the two. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Having some ER 10y tonight. Earlier I opened a new bottle of Old Bardstown (Willett), and I have to say that their bourbon is coming along nicely. 

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Try blending the two. ^_^

Biba! Joe

You know, I have " Get FBJ's Weller Blend Recipe" on my bucket list but can't score a 12 year. This is really pissing me off. I've already scratched climbing Mt Everest off of my list on account of I really don't want to...

1 minute ago, bayouredd said:

You know, I have " Get FBJ's Weller Blend Recipe" on my bucket list but can't score a 12 year. This is really pissing me off. I've already scratched climbing Mt Everest off of my list on account of I really don't want to...

Hey, you can always try the Blend without the Weller 12. :P

Biba! Joe

What a week and glad it is over. Started the evening by finishing a Loch & K(e)y selection of RRSB. After that I decided to kill off yet another bottle which happened to be some FRSB OESK. Unfortunately, there wasn't much left in that bottle either and needed a pour of RY10yr SB to end the night. Looking forward to opening some new bottles tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Thoughts? Is this a store pick?

This one isn’t a store pick.  I really liked it.  It’s not as rich or woody as you might think a 12 year would be, or just looking at its color.  It’s a little more bright on the palate if that makes sense.  

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

37 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Having some ER 10y tonight. Earlier I opened a new bottle of Old Bardstown (Willett), and I have to say that their bourbon is coming along nicely. 

I’m going to be honest...  Outside their rye, I haven’t had anything thing from Willett that was their own distillate that I liked.  I’m getting nervous.  I’m a big fan of theirs & want them to succeed, but they aren’t doing it for me as of yet. 

3 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I’m going to be honest...  Outside their rye, I haven’t had anything thing from Willett that was their own distillate that I liked.  I’m getting nervous.  I’m a big fan of theirs & want them to succeed, but they aren’t doing it for me as of yet. 

They'll be fine. They just need time.

I have a private selection WFE single barrel that's the traditional recipe and it tastes great. 5 years old. (Just missed being 6) It has a little of the cinnamon note that overpowers some of their other distillate but it comes with a lot of dark fruit flavors. Give it a couple more years and it will come into its own.

• I like it 1

Tonight I started off with a freshly opened Wathen's BP that wasn't working for me, then moved on to a 1792 FR which I found to be good enough but boring this time. So I decided to up the ante with a sure thing, 4R PS OESK which is always in my wheelhouse.  I was curious how a nice RRSiB PS would compare so I had a pour of that.  It was great as always and held it's own versus the OESK.  Gonna finish off the night with another OESK however.  Don't worry, my pours are relatively small pours, Lol.

Edited by Kepler

17 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

#fourrosesfriday

#science

6E33D52E-9DB0-4C42-81FD-D0ED46AA8F88.jpeg

You guys leaving any of those suckers behind for us NJ natives ;) how is that one?

24 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

You guys leaving any of those suckers behind for us NJ natives ;) how is that one?

Fantastic! I gave use guys a 2 year head start, but you left some on the shelf for me! In my best Jersey accent “fugetaboutit”. 

• I like it 1

Returned to EC Barrel Proof A119 that I bought earlier this week.  It tasted fantastic.  Extremely smooth despite high proof.  Dark, sweet notes dominate: brown sugar, candied fruit (maybe a hint of ripe banana?) , vanilla, oak.  Muted spice in finish under continuing sweet notes, with some caramel showing up.  Compared it to Booker's (Backyard BBQ).  The Booker's, which I liked, showed its youth.  Much brighter and much more spice, but harsher and with strong vegetal notes.  Love the EC, will buy another bottle.

• I like it 1

Even on weekends, I normally don't drink in the morning. However......... :unsure: I'm playing house husband/man today. It's a long story which I won't get into at length. Yeah, I now many of you are really disappointed. :lol:

Anyway, my wife had to go out and about while I stayed at home and minded the store. Water softener filled. Second load of laundry in. A little cleanup from the aftermath of a recent nasty ice storm. More salt on the driveway. Time for a break. :blink: I'm having a nice pour of Blanton's alongside my second cup of coffee. Ahhhh. Depending on how long my day is, the 2017 WLW is on deck. ^_^

Biba! Joe

feb9.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm having a nice pour of Blanton's alongside my second cup of coffee. Ahhhh. Depending on how long my day is, the 2017 WLW is on deck. ^_^

feb9.jpeg

Sounds like a great start to your Saturday to me!!

• I like it 1

Decided to pull out some Blamton’s SFTB 2014 bottling. Moving on to some warehouse K WTKS store pick which is hitting the spot while grilling some 2” prime strips and puffing on a cigar.

Blanton’s is almost gone, have an 04 SFTB backup from a great shop in my wife’s little town back in France.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.