What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After taking last night off, I opened with the second to last pour of Stagg Jr. Then it was on to some RRSB Loch & K(e)y style watching the snow come down outside. It will be an early wake up call to get the snowblower out and clear the driveway before work.

• I like it 1

Picked up a handle of WT 101 last night at total wine for $32 with a LL/GJ stamp. It is excellent!

Edited by Tuck
  • I like it 2

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Not an everyday SBS, so I never knew the family resemblance was this pronounced.

IMG_20190129_212916.jpg

Not a very fair fight; but ABV notwithstanding, the family resemblance isn't surprising.   Same mashbill for certain.   Possibly same rickhouse even.   Who can say about further similarities?

I'll say this: Promise of Hope was a very carefully selected offering...Some of the best, most flavorful Bourbon at it's proof I've ever tasted.   (I wish I had several more bottles!)

The polar vortex didnt hit us in STL near as bad as you guys in the Twin Cities or Chicago, but it's still pretty darn cold. It seemed like as good excuse to dig in the bunker and open up this one. Sometimes this can be too hot, but it's absolutely perfect tonight. 

20190130_173839.jpg

• I like it 5

23 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

No sorry I have it sitting on the Bic lighter, that’s to feed the other habit. I have a butane lighter that I use for cigars.

Thanks for replying so quickly, I might not have been able to sleep yesterday otherwise!  Haha

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

The polar vortex didnt hit us in STL near as bad as you guys in the Twin Cities or Chicago, but it's still pretty darn cold. It seemed like as good excuse to dig in the bunker and open up this one. Sometimes this can be too hot, but it's absolutely perfect tonight. 

20190130_173839.jpg

I suspect you didn't need to find an excuse for digging in the bunker.  The Polar Vortex did hit the Indy area.  I believe the high was 1 degree F.  

I have been whipping a bottle of WSR I picked up in December over the past week.  I am really liking the recent bottles I have bought.  I will look to replace it next trip to Texas.  Note, I said Texas since I never see any Weller products on the shelf in Indy.

Thanks for replying so quickly, I might not have been able to sleep yesterday otherwise!  Haha

Haha.

Wife bought some gelato mascarpone pistachio caramel ice cream. It’s pairing nicely with last years Parker.

IMG_6144.JPG

Had a small pour of 2014 FR LE SmB before dinner and it was so good I decided to go back for more. Love this combination of recipes!

2014_FR.jpg

• I like it 2

Following my pour of SJR with ECBP B518. Fortunately or not this is one of those palate nights where everything tastes very sweet, less than their proof,  and over all delicious. Oh how I wish it were Friday. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20190130_173839.jpg

Which batch is that? I have a bottle of batch 9, and it is fantastic. 

25 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Looks like Batch 9 to me...

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

6 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Looks like Batch 9 to me...

Batch 9 it is, and it is indeed fantastic. 

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Had a small pour of 2014 FR LE SmB before dinner and it was so good I decided to go back for more. Love this combination of recipes!

2014_FR.jpg

Underrated and derided by many nerds because it didn't have any extra aged component. This allowed me to get more than usual. I'm with you - I really like this one.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:28 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Nit,

Prior to bourbon I was very into cigars. A Bic lighter can impart very negative flavors into your cigar. Similar to lighter fluid before you grill. Highly recommend a butane lighter (torch or soft flame) that will burn clean.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:32 PM, HoustonNit said:

No sorry I have it sitting on the Bic lighter, that’s to feed the other habit. I have a butane lighter that I use for cigars.

Bics are butane.  If you ever go on a trip to do a factory tour, you sometimes won’t find torches, or cutters even.  They disappear out of your bags in customs.  I learned how to cut my cigar with my thumbnail lol.  You will find Djeep & Bics.  I sat & watched Don Pepin light cigars the entire time with a Bic when I went down to the My Father factory in Nicaragua.  I decided if he couldn’t tell...then I certainly wouldn’t be able to tell. :D

My trusty Bic & Djeep that have survived countless TSA lines. ;)

4D4EF00F-94F0-4A05-BE2E-61797C7C8F56.jpeg

• I like it 1

As far As tonight’s pour goes...  Wine World in Destin picked a great barrel for this one. 

4558B32F-26AB-4442-B26D-8D6B79F0991E.jpeg

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

As far As tonight’s pour goes...  Wine World in Destin picked a great barrel for this one. 

4558B32F-26AB-4442-B26D-8D6B79F0991E.jpeg

I have a T warehouse 7th Story pick that is incredibly good. Cheers to your 6th story pick. 

• I like it 1

I suspect you didn't need to find an excuse for digging in the bunker.  The Polar Vortex did hit the Indy area.  I believe the high was 1 degree F.  

I have been whipping a bottle of WSR I picked up in December over the past week.  I am really liking the recent bottles I have bought.  I will look to replace it next trip to Texas.  Note, I said Texas since I never see any Weller products on the shelf in Indy.

-18f right now in Minneapolis

4 hours ago, BigPapa said:

-18f right now in Minneapolis

Yeah.    ...But you folx up in Miinnie-Soh-Tah like that stuff, no?

We 'Southerners' (Southern Michigan) aren't thick-blooded enough for this kind of weather.    I can't even imagine what the folx in Northern Illinois are and have been going through.

Snow has arrived here, not much compared to other parts of the world but it's cold enough to warrant something warm. Cheers all!

Screenshot_20190131-215100_Photos.jpg

• I like it 5

January 14 I found out that I'm going to be a first time father. Today I received a call from our realtor that our offer was accepted on a house that my wife and i immediately fell in love with the first time we saw it. I'm celebrating a memorable month with a fantastic pour from the bottle a great friend gave me on my wedding day last April. 

20190131_174846.jpg

• I like it 18

2 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

January 14 I found out that I'm going to be a first time father. Today I received a call from our realtor that our offer was accepted on a house that my wife and i immediately fell in love with the first time we saw it. I'm celebrating a memorable month with a fantastic pour from the bottle a great friend gave me on my wedding day last April. 

20190131_174846.jpg

A well deserved pour, my friend. Congrates to you, the Little One and the Missus!!!

Edited by bayouredd

Survived the vortex.  Sipping a Barrel Aged Boulevardier at the moment.  Then moving onto some GW4G.  This batch was 150ml 114 and 350ml WSR and comes in at 97.2pf.  Hopefully will be posting the empty bottle later tonight, much to Lady Loblaw's dismay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.