What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Weller Senior (SR)?  Is that just for us folks over 60?  Nyuk, nyuk.  Kevin must have missed that on the TTB site!  

Not just for folks over 60, but I proudly (?) concede that I am. ^_^  As an admitted Weller whore, I find that Weller SR is a no brainer, every day easy drinker. Iffen I can't decide what to pour, I know that Weller SR won't disappoint. It is what it is, and I happen to like it. Very much so.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

^^ Me too.  Just wish supply and demand were more like the old days when you find whatever you wanted at a reasonable price.  I’m a member (silent) of the same NY Bourbon Facebook group and was amazed at the immediacy that a secondary market price was created - without any knowledge of the product or retail price.  Tulip bulbs...

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, El Vino said:

Tulip bulbs...

A completely fair comparison at this point.

52 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Just opened and took a sip. I like this one. 

AEF2368D-306F-4DBE-89ED-55049A99592C.jpeg

Didn't instantly love it; but it has grown somewhat in my estimation.   Maybe a few more pours are in order....

• I like it 1

Leave that OF rye at half-full for awhile.  I thought some air really opened up the powdery floral notes in this rye.  I liked it enough to stock up!

Second project for today. After trying a sample from a generous SB’er I decided to mix up my own batch of vanilla infused bourbon. Two whole beans split in half are in the handle. Decided to start with some VOBBiB as I think it has a lot of banana notes which will pair with the added vanilla and be fantastic in the Aged egg nog I am going try making around May for next holiday season.  

017A2C64-B70A-4CDF-81FA-E5AD78D3028B.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

The wife and I haven’t done much since she gave birth so I though I would pop some bottles tonight with a fellow Vet and his wife. Started with opening W12 while prepping and grilling and then opened the IW Harper we both never tried with dinner. After dinner drinks was opening the Ohio store pick 1792 FP. Fun night and still enjoying it.

8C297310-14ED-43D0-8D59-13AD4EF655F3.jpeg

• I like it 1

Found this while going through (organizing) the bunker a couple weeks back, and my recently emptied Blood Oath bottle left a perfectly sized hole on the opens shelf.

While it’s quite woody, I really enjoy these old bourbons, just because of the history behind them. 

Regardless of how you personally feel about the OB releases, you cannot dispute that once this old bourbon is gone, it’s gone for good .  If it’s truly old Bernheim whiskey (rumored source), then I’m proud to have this on my bar. 

The 21y is the only Rhetoric release that I purchased (I did taste 23 & 24y).  They were decent as well, but the price of admission for this series kept me from collecting them all.

611B4F96-2D71-4862-AB0B-934C1D7447B5.jpeg

• I like it 1

4R SmB 2017. First go at this one. 

Will report back, with impressions. 

Cheers. 

IMG_3183.JPG

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Yeah, it’s 10:30 am. 

But I waited a month for this...

mmm. 

76889502-FB3D-4DC4-B33A-D7CDA16C7754.jpeg

AF6AEDA8-DCB8-4A44-93C7-9C93D022BFEE.jpeg

Here’s my ‘02 and ‘05.. The ‘02 OFBB initial bottling I’ve “retired”. I’ve drink and had several of these over the years.. Trying to convince myself on pulling the trigger on the ‘05. ;) 

52D724D1-A6B2-440C-8B30-08E8425EAEDD.jpeg

• I like it 4

It didn't much to convince myself that opening the bottle of EC NAS that I bought yesterday would be a good idea and it certainly was.

3 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

image.jpg

I love to see those Red 12 ECs

Cheers

12 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

image.jpg

I notice it's a 70 cl. bottle, curious where you got this one

6 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

Just waiting for Halle Berry to show up...

721619404_00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190323192911553_COVER2.thumb.jpg.1dbb90891d06b4e412d0d71377fa54ad.jpg

Well, looks like you have nice company until she does. ;) 

14 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Just waiting for Halle Berry to show up...

721619404_00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190323192911553_COVER2.thumb.jpg.1dbb90891d06b4e412d0d71377fa54ad.jpg

Dad P, I just saw your post again.. I’m down with some of the OF products, this is a nice looking bottle and I’m intrigued with “Statesman” aspect and 95 proof.. Can you elaborate further, and if I’m not out of line how much did it set you back?

On 3/16/2019 at 12:14 AM, Adam777 said:

The wife and I haven’t done much since she gave birth so I though I would pop some bottles tonight with a fellow Vet and his wife. Started with opening W12 while prepping and grilling and then opened the IW Harper we both never tried with dinner. After dinner drinks was opening the Ohio store pick 1792 FP. Fun night and still enjoying it.

8C297310-14ED-43D0-8D59-13AD4EF655F3.jpeg

How is the I W Harper?

4 hours ago, hollywood said:

Dad P, I just saw your post again.. I’m down with some of the OF products, this is a nice looking bottle and I’m intrigued with “Statesman” aspect and 95 proof.. Can you elaborate further, and if I’m not out of line how much did it set you back?

I too have gotten into OF. Bought this one yesterday and paid right around $50. Given the higher proof of OF1910 and 1920 that are priced within $5, this had been an automatic pass for me. I just saw it as a gimmicky movie tie-in money grab. Then I came across several recent posts, articles and reviews that have really praised Statesman as one of the best recent releases. One example here at SB:

I just finished a PS Bufallo Trace, and all my other opens were 100+ proofers (many CS) so I used it as an opportunity to try Statesman. I really enjoyed the pour, very much so, and any concern about the price turned into concern that it may not be an ongoing release. I'll dip into this bottle another time or two this week, but I expect to be grabbing another bottle or two in short order.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.