What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Opened an OWA store pick tonight. A little off profile, but not in a bad way.
IMG_0854.jpg

I actually didn’t like my SP OWA when I fiat opened it about a month ago. It seems to have mellowed and I like it much better. Really happy I have two more bottles behind the bar. 

• I like it 1

Made a huge mistake yesterday.   After reading some favorable reviews,  I picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler's Big Level,  a wheated bourbon that they distill and age themselves,  for five years.    I've enjoyed SA's Old Scout sourced bourbons,  as well as their Contradiction which blends their own wheated distillate with sourced bourbon.    So I was looking forward to this. 

Well, the Big Level is simply awful.   Worst bourbon I've had in years,  and I tend to take chances with craft whiskeys so that's sayin' something.   Tastes of wet cardboard and play-doh.   Terrible.   I finally blended it with some Pikesville Rye and managed to finish the pour.   

Hopefully some air will improve this stuff, otherwise I just wasted $55.   Batch # 32,  for those who care.   Be warned . . .

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Made a huge mistake yesterday.   After reading some favorable reviews,  I picked up a bottle of Smooth Ambler's Big Level,  a wheated bourbon that they distill and age themselves,  for five years.    I've enjoyed SA's Old Scout sourced bourbons,  as well as their Contradiction which blends their own wheated distillate with sourced bourbon.    So I was looking forward to this. 

Well, the Big Level is simply awful.   Worst bourbon I've had in years,  and I tend to take chances with craft whiskeys so that's sayin' something.   Tastes of wet cardboard and play-doh.   Terrible.   I finally blended it with some Pikesville Rye and managed to finish the pour.   

Hopefully some air will improve this stuff, otherwise I just wasted $55.   Batch # 32,  for those who care.   Be warned . . .

Yeah my bottle is pretty terrible, thanks for your take it's interesting to here since most here are more craft averse than you. 

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah my bottle is pretty terrible, thanks for your take it's interesting to here since most here are more craft averse than you. 

It's  bad.   I think I'll have to concoct my own "Contradiction" from this,  blending in some decently aged  high-rye bourbon to hopefully save it.   I may go pick up a bottle of JB Distiller's Cut to see if that will do the trick.   The blend with the Pikesville worked fine, except that I don't want to sacrifice any more Pikesville!   Another possibility may be to blend in some Canadian whiskey - the Pennsy state store has Canadian Club's new rye (in the green bottle) on sale for just $11.99.   But the Distiller's Cut I know is tasty so that may be the way to go.  

• I like it 2

It's  bad.   I think I'll have to concoct my own "Contradiction" from this,  blending in some decently aged  high-rye bourbon to hopefully save it.   I may go pick up a bottle of JB Distiller's Cut to see if that will do the trick.   The blend with the Pikesville worked fine, except that I don't want to sacrifice any more Pikesville!   Another possibility may be to blend in some Canadian whiskey - the Pennsy state store has Canadian Club's new rye (in the green bottle) on sale for just $11.99.   But the Distiller's Cut I know is tasty so that may be the way to go.  

Maybe add some Old Grand-dad, WT101 or FC103 to it. They are all fairly high rye bourbons and reasonably priced.

7 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Maybe add some Old Grand-dad, WT101 or FC103 to it. They are all fairly high rye bourbons and reasonably priced.

Or some 4R SiB 100 proof OBSV with 35% rye.  Or some Rittenhouse to conserve your Pikesville

• I like it 1

It’s just awful. Most disappointing as I’ve been a fan of Smooth Ambler’s sourced bottling and had high hopes. I’m going to try it with some WT101 and see if that helps. It’s not even worth trying to cook with as is.

47 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

When I get something that I just find undrinkable it becomes my hot toddy whiskey.  Between the hefty amount of lemon juice, honey, and spice mix I blended I don't think the individual flavors of the whiskey are evident.  When the wife is in the mood and we each have two drinks I can get through 8-10 oz in one go!  Though the warm beverage season is pretty much over now.  You could probably also use in a cocktail, but there the badness will not be entirely masked.  

Other ideas are to cook with it (although that is really slow usage wise) or pour off samples for others to try.  You may even find someone who likes it and will take the rest of that bottle off you hands.

Thanks for the suggestions,  folks!   Blending it with some bonded Old Granddad sounds especially good. 

• I like it 1

Still following my NY resolution to open my “better” bottles when I feel like it. 

Well,

this is pretty darn good. :)

5527D5B6-86E8-4D54-8E32-E4F0D821CCA6.jpeg

• I like it 6

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

Still following my NY resolution to open my “better” bottles when I feel like it. 

Well,

this is pretty darn good. :)

5527D5B6-86E8-4D54-8E32-E4F0D821CCA6.jpeg

A very nice pour, I agree.    Not to mention a fine-looking bottle, as well.   ENJOY, 0895!

• I like it 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, Jazzhead said:

Oh man......a bunch of have discussed at length how bad this is. You must not have seen those posts. We could have saved you! 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh man......a bunch of have discussed at length how bad this is. You must not have seen those posts. We could have saved you! 

Now you tell me!   Funny thing is that I pulled up a couple of good online reviews while in the liquor store, and thought I was good to go.   Everyone's taste is different, I guess,  and I suppose it's a good thing that  choices are available even for those who favor their whiskey tasting like bathtub caulk!

30 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Now you tell me!   Funny thing is that I pulled up a couple of good online reviews while in the liquor store, and thought I was good to go.   Everyone's taste is different, I guess,  and I suppose it's a good thing that  choices are available even for those who favor their whiskey tasting like bathtub caulk!

I suppose you have to take care of the bathtub caulk folks.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, flahute said:

I suppose you have to take care of the bathtub caulk folks.

They have money to spend the same as you or I.    It is a marvel of the free market that a product can and will cater to that niche.    

As for me,  a trip to the  State Store had some good news - Knob Creek rye was on sale!  Same proof as the Big Level,  and it turns out that it seems to work perfectly to kill the play-doh with rye spice.    As a 50/50 blend, Knob Level is a very decent four-grain pour!

Edited by Jazzhead

8 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

They have money to spend the same as you or I.    It is a marvel of the free market that a product can and will cater to that niche.    

As for me,  a trip to the  State Store had some good news - Knob Creek rye was on sale!  Same proof as the Big Level,  and it turns out that it seems to work perfectly to kill the play-doh with rye spice.    As a 50/50 blend, Knob Level is a very decent four-grain pour!

I suffered through my bottle via cocktails. I wish I had thought to try your blend. Sounds like it would have worked better.

2 hours ago, pyro273 said:

Not bad for $30.99.  A bit hot but a splash of water works wonders for that.

pic.jpg

I won't be convinced that's not a Turkish tea glass.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I won't be convinced that's not a Turkish tea glass.

LOL, had to look that one up and you are right...but it still says "Whiskies of the World" on it so I'm safe... ?

Weller Senior (SR)?  Is that just for us folks over 60?  Nyuk, nyuk.  Kevin must have missed that on the TTB site!  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.