What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drove a half hour out of my way to pick up a 10.5 year 120 pf OESK for $75.  Store sent out an email and I called to reserve a bottle. Thought I might taste it there and grab a second bottle but when I got there they said they had sold out in 2 hours. The barrel only yielded 90 bottles and with the age and proof stats, there was high demand. 

They also had BT on the shelf for $25 so I grabbed one of those and [gasp] a second one for the bunker as the whisper is BT is now allocated in Maryland. 

I stopped going to this place because they have asinine prices on some stuff (see the 750 of EC12 ?), but I couldn't pass up a handle of WT101 for this price. 

20190125_110931.jpg

20190125_110950.jpg

• I like it 5

32 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Drove a half hour out of my way to pick up a 10.5 year 120 pf OESK for $75.  Store sent out an email and I called to reserve a bottle. Thought I might taste it there and grab a second bottle but when I got there they said they had sold out in 2 hours. The barrel only yielded 90 bottles and with the age and proof stats, there was high demand. 

They also had BT on the shelf for $25 so I grabbed one of those and [gasp] a second one for the bunker as the whisper is BT is now allocated in Maryland. 

I was surprised to see how quickly that sold out.  I was thinking about getting one myself until I saw the second Facebook post.

Found this on a LS shelf the other night. Since it was an out dated label I couldn't pass up adding it to my collection. I am curious as to the approximate year when it was bottled though. I did some searching and I think it is from between 2003 - 2009, but maybe someone here has more knowledge that me. I am still fairly new to the collecting game.
image.png.7f2ac8b07938cca54b0ba2ac4dfbc4ca.pngimage.thumb.png.c4fa9ae69a0982f3346387d69955f25e.pngimage.thumb.png.2b5105ec70dc4ec93afe6904cb6ffdc0.png

There should be a red laser code on there somewhere, believe it should start with LL or something like that. It’s not easy to see, you’ll need some good lighting to find it. If you search for WT laser code dating you should find a good post from rarebird101 blog explaining how to read it, or post it here and we’ll help you. You’re likely close on the age maybe +/- a couple years.

This use to be one of my go to bottles before I started appreciating my bourbon neat. That being said really not a fan of the 80 proof and I actually prefer the new stuff vs. WT from this era. However those Austin Nicols bottles are way cooler looking than the new bottle design.

1 hour ago, ccleve23 said:

I was surprised to see how quickly that sold out.  I was thinking about getting one myself until I saw the second Facebook post.

Yeah. Pretty crazy. I’ll bring it to the Maryland meet up if we get that together and people want to try it. 

Went out at lunch today to hit up a few spots. Ending up getting an Ironroot Harbinger. I have been interested in trying this one for a while now.

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I stopped going to this place because they have asinine prices on some stuff (see the 750 of EC12 ?), but I couldn't pass up a handle of WT101 for this price. 

20190125_110931.jpg

20190125_110950.jpg

Does that EC have an age anywhere?  That s the older bottle design right?

Well this is a thread I have been unable to post in for awhile, bourbon zen and all. I have been waiting until I heard of any WT101 2018 tastings and recent news piqued my interest. 2 750s of 101 have now joined the flock. I cracked the first and had a taste of it a bit ago, more will be joining those 2 in the short term, several more. The store clerks probably thought I was having some sort of breakdown as I pulled all the 101's on the shelf and had them set up around me, one approached and asked if I was OK and needed any help LOL!! I assured him I was quite fine just on some high level Lawrenceburg cult business, he stared blankly and walked away, F'n hilarious!!

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20190125_110931.jpg

20190125_110950.jpg

11 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Does that EC have an age anywhere?  That s the older bottle design right?

Believe it not they have this in a locked case (yup, a bottle that was $23 just three years ago), so I wasnt able to check the back. The price label says that it's rear stated. This is the same place that has a 1.75 of W12 for $299. 

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

I’ve heard the C918 is fantastic. 

9377128A-146A-4EC2-A4A9-FB22931A168C.png

I bought a bottle of it for NYE. It is fantastic. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Well this is a thread I have been unable to post in for awhile, bourbon zen and all. I have been waiting until I heard of any WT101 2018 tastings and recent news piqued my interest. 2 750s of 101 have now joined the flock. I cracked the first and had a taste of it a bit ago, more will be joining those 2 in the short term, several more. The store clerks probably thought I was having some sort of breakdown as I pulled all the 101's on the shelf and had them set up around me, one approached and asked if I was OK and needed any help LOL!! I assured him I was quite fine just on some high level Lawrenceburg cult business, he stared blankly and walked away, F'n hilarious!!

Lulz. I did the same thing at a store near me. What month are yours from? I found 750s from February and 375s from August.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Nods in agreement because this is perfectly acceptable behavior. 

• I like it 2

I'd be happy to find just a run of the mill RRSIB anywhere near me. I may have to drive to Idaho or Washington as soon as the roads clear up. 

5 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20190125_110931.jpg

20190125_110950.jpg

Did you check the codes on that 101? 

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Believe it not they have this in a locked case (yup, a bottle that was $23 just three years ago), so I wasnt able to check the back. The price label says that it's rear stated. This is the same place that has a 1.75 of W12 for $299. 

That bottle has been there for at least 2 years. Their pricing on anything even remotely limited is ridiculous. Same ones that make you spend $100 on other stuff for the "right" to purchase overpriced WSR, ER10, EHT, and SJR.  Only thing I go there for anymore is beer that I reserve on their waitlist.

Was a good week for me.  Also grabbed another bottle of JBDC and, as it was reasonably priced and I felt adventurous, a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength.

IMG_20190125_173910249.jpg

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Double C's said:

Found this on a LS shelf the other night. Since it was an out dated label I couldn't pass up adding it to my collection. I am curious as to the approximate year when it was bottled though. I did some searching and I think it is from between 2003 - 2009, but maybe someone here has more knowledge that me. I am still fairly new to the collecting game.

image.png.7f2ac8b07938cca54b0ba2ac4dfbc4ca.pngimage.thumb.png.c4fa9ae69a0982f3346387d69955f25e.pngimage.thumb.png.2b5105ec70dc4ec93afe6904cb6ffdc0.png

Uhhhhhhe..... collecting or drinking? You're fairly new here so maybe you should know. Most members her drink what we buy other than possibly a special bottle or two here and there. FWIW, my "collectables/non-drinkers" are bottles that have more of a sentimental rather than monetary value. Just sayin'. 

Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Did you check the codes on that 101? 

Yup, it's a GK (so November '18.)

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Yup, it's a GK (so November '18.)

I say this with all sincerity: You should consider buying all of them. 

12 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Ok fill me in on the willet?? I passed on some 4yr at 52

I paid about that for this one.  It’s a 126 proof that is outstanding.  This is the third I’ve gotten, & sadly, the last of the Mohicans at this store.  

I really have no problem paying $50 for 4 year WFE rye.  I do for the 3 year though.  Huge difference to me in what that one year does to these. 

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

14 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I paid about that for this one.  It’s a 126 proof that is outstanding.  This is the third I’ve gotten, & sadly, the last of the Mohicans at this store.  

I really have no problem paying $50 for 4 year WFE rye.  I do for the 3 year though.  Huge difference to me in what that one year does to these. 

I bought one at $50. Went back for another and it was on sale at $40. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.