What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/25/2019 at 4:38 PM, FacePlant said:

Do you like store pics? I like store pics. :)

1468781113_ty(2).thumb.jpg.d731c3aa3649beeb5185cc9ca6938506.jpg

The Weller was not a SP but most or all of the rest are. Two RRs, one a B and the other K. Since I'm not a 4Rs fan I don't know which one that is. Jeff probably knows. :) The most incredible 1792FP EVER. No really. Courtesy of a popular Germantown LS. I picked up the newest on the floor today-the 10yr+ EC.

Corks near Target in Germantown maybe? 

• I like it 1

Picked up a couple BT now that everyone around town seems stocked back up and also a KC120 PS. A 14.5 year old almost barrel proof for $39.99. Yes!  It's being opened now. 

20190302_184905-784x1613.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 3

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Picked up a couple BT now that everyone around town seems stocked back up and also a KC120 PS. A 14.5 year old almost barrel proof for $39.99. Yes!  It's being opened now. 

20190302_184905-784x1613.jpg

Got some BT and a KC120 PS this week too. Opened the KC yesterday....very nice.

• I like it 1

2xECBP A119,  $134.98 OTD.  A bit steep but I got them just because!    ☺️

• I like it 1

enhance
Trying to round up as much OE7 as I can. So good.  $21.99

Wow. Haven’t seen any. That’s a nice haul.

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Is that George Peppard as Banacek in your avatar?

Tom T. Hall - writer/singer of "faster horses" ...But yeah it sure does look like George now that you mention it. 

• I like it 1

Dang Jeff, you seem to have a nose for age stated FC!

Apparently so Gary, but when I was first looking for age stated FC, I got some help from FasterHorses and MarekV8. Since then, however, I seem to be tripping over it everywhere...including Bardstown! [emoji846]
  • I like it 1

Grabbed a store pick of EC today. It is a 10yr and it is a keeper. I might go back to grab a backup or two.

• I like it 2

Give me a Binny’s coupon and I’ll stock up apparently. IMG_4701.thumb.jpg.87dff804e042c9cebff51e6c98112564.jpg

Nicely done - I stocked up with a case of wine, some
Brandy and bourbon but only realized I forgot the coupon when I got home...doh!!!!!
  • I like it 1

On 3/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, afmadd said:

Does A313 signify March 2013?  I know that's the convention now, just not sure when it started or what the other letters mean.

Not likely, as the age statement on the back of the bottle, began to show up 2015 (as I recall).

Cheers

• I like it 1

BDB3D58A-4BA9-424D-8B63-8699886163B1.thumb.jpeg.79d955685db9cc7c0e41bca8c85511c2.jpeg

By Sarah, ok, Im admiting it, had some stellar James bottle’s too. But I like to have a girl name on my bottle. 

Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 5

On 3/1/2019 at 9:53 PM, lcpfratn said:

If these weren’t the 6 year age stated, I wouldn’t have bought them. There were actually more than two, the first time I saw them, so they didn’t all last a year without getting noticed. They can be found, but the Memphis area never really had much FC on the shelves, so you’re probably not going to find any there. Older stores in smaller towns are probably your best bet to find dusties of any kind. 

So , are you saying the nas is not good or just not as good?   I have not sampled the one I found with the age statement.  I really don't want to open it yet since I have never seen one.

So , are you saying the nas is not good or just not as good?   I have not sampled the one I found with the age statement.  I really don't want to open it yet since I have never seen one.

I haven’t had the NAS version, so I can’t really say, but my guess is that it isn’t as good. For me, most of the bourbons that I’ve liked that have lost their age statements, aren’t as good as the age stated version was. That doesn’t always mean that they aren’t good, but just not as good as the age stated version to me. Examples of age stated bourbons that I like that I haven’t liked the NAS version as much are Elijah Craig Small Batch 12yr, Jim Beam Black 8yr and Knob Creek Small Batch 9yr. Of course there are exceptions, such as with single barrel private selections of some of those products. They are usually younger than the original age stated version, but because they are store picks, they can still be very good.

The NAS version of FC may be good, but I will probably not like it as much as the age stated version. There are quite a few fans of Evan Williams BIB on this forum, but I’m not one of them. I suspect that the NAS version of FC will be very close in taste profile to EW BIB, so I probably won’t like it.

Picked this KC up just outside St. Louis.....single barrel selection (barrel #7730) for Friar Tuck, barreled January 2004, bottled August 2018, 120pf.  Think I'll look at it for a while before I give it a try.  Anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?  ?

IMG_20190304_113908197.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, afmadd said:

Does A313 signify March 2013?  I know that's the convention now, just not sure when it started or what the other letters mean.

Me thinks it's a 2015.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, FasterHorses said:

enhance

Trying to round up as much OE7 as I can. So good.  $21.99

Those Clynelish dried up real fast around here

They never came to my neck of the woods at all. All the rest of them did, but for some reason the Clynelish was never received by the distributors here. But, FasterHorses hooked me up in addition to adding to his own collection!
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I haven’t had the NAS version, so I can’t really say, but my guess is that it isn’t as good. For me, most of the bourbons that I’ve liked that have lost their age statements, aren’t as good as the age stated version was. That doesn’t always mean that they aren’t good, but just not as good as the age stated version to me. Examples of age stated bourbons that I like that I haven’t liked the NAS version as much are Elijah Craig Small Batch 12yr, Jim Beam Black 8yr and Knob Creek Small Batch 9yr. Of course there are exceptions, such as with single barrel private selections of some of those products. They are usually younger than the original age stated version, but because they are store picks, they can still be very good.

The NAS version of FC may be good, but I will probably not like it as much as the age stated version. There are quite a few fans of Evan Williams BIB on this forum, but I’m not one of them. I suspect that the NAS version of FC will be very close in taste profile to EW BIB, so I probably won’t like it.

That makes sense.

That makes sense.

You should go ahead and open that bottle of age stated FC! You may not even like it, so why keep searching for more if you don’t know if you like it in the first place. It’s not great bourbon, but it is good bourbon at a good price, and was a good value pour for being an age stated product. That’s why HH 6yr BIB was so popular too...not because it was great bourbon, but because it was very good bourbon for the price. FC 6yr has a bit more oak in its taste profile than HH 6yr in my opinion and has 1.5% more alcohol, so it’s a bit stronger. Some people like that, and others don’t. If you try your bottle and like it, but can’t find more, I’ll see what I can do to help you get at least one more bottle since we obviously don’t live too far from one another.
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Found a batch of three of most of em the other day. Everything but the House Bartheon Lochnagar and Cardhu. 

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Found a batch of three of most of em the other day. Everything but the House Bartheon Lochnagar and Cardhu. 

Nice some places still have them around her but they are at stupid prices for the most part, The Singleton, Cardhu and Dalwhinnie were still floating around at reasonable prices at least a coupe weeks ago and I know a few stores still have the Lagavulin at a not terrible price. I only picked up the Lagavulin, Clynelish and Talisker as I'm not a GOT guy or a collector and I didn't really find the others compelling enough to spend the cash. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.