What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, thanks for sharing... Crazy! I continually hear people speaking of paying prices of sometimes more than less half of what I pay... It really shakes out that I am paying premium dollars reserved for top shelf/specialty bottles for lower to mid level pours... Ugh!

59 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Hey, thanks for sharing... Crazy! I continually hear people speaking of paying prices of sometimes more than less half of what I pay... It really shakes out that I am paying premium dollars reserved for top shelf/specialty bottles for lower to mid level pours... Ugh!

State by state variance of both retail price and especially taxes can be quite wide. And I'm talking about regularly available product, not the limited/allocated product that some retailers mark up just because they can. 

14 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Couple of slightly dusties - Little Rock has been good for slightly dusties so far.

JBSC12yr & JBDS (7yr), both x2

Resizer_15526149529520.jpg

I'm still looking for one of those Distillers Series.

Exactly.. Buying a product retail one can expect to pay a different amount due to the normal factors.. I'd expect to pay more at a more "exclusive" store which catered to higher end products within a certain locale etc etc. At the end of the day, I can not escape the taxation and so forth.  So, again I am forced to pay (within my state) higher prices normally associated with top shelf product elsewhere for mid-level pours at best here.... It's what it is...

10 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Exactly.. Buying a product retail one can expect to pay a different amount due to the normal factors.. I'd expect to pay more at a more "exclusive" store which catered to higher end products within a certain locale etc etc. At the end of the day, I can not escape the taxation and so forth.  So, again I am forced to pay (within my state) higher prices normally associated with top shelf product elsewhere for mid-level pours at best here.... It's what it is...

You and me both. Washington State taxes are the worst in the country. I know yours are right up there as well.

I used to travel some for business in a former life as I like to tease... I always marveled at how cheaply I could buy liquor.. In many cases! ..... I could by a fifth for close to what a pint would run me here! Needless to say, I'd load up when I could... Now, unless I happen to run by a reasonably priced liquor store while on vacation etc then I'm at the mercy of the State.. :( 

12 hours ago, fanostra said:

From a Chicago area store that shares the name of a fat cartoon cat by chance? I picked one up yesterday of the same (if so), after enjoying the one I picked up when they first arrived years back. May pick up one more if they still have some left.

Yep. I was there on Friday around 3pm. There were three on their and I took one. 

Also saw they they had three ECBP A119, I’d youre interested. I only saw one batch come through at Binnys around here. 

I used to travel some for business in a former life as I like to tease... I always marveled at how cheaply I could buy liquor.. In many cases! ..... I could by a fifth for close to what a pint would run me here! Needless to say, I'd load up when I could... Now, unless I happen to run by a reasonably priced liquor store while on vacation etc then I'm at the mercy of the State.. [emoji20] 

You’re in Alabama right? It seems to be one the worse states for pricing and availability. You however got Tennessee and Mississippi bordering you and they seem to be really great for selection and pricing. Also Georgia and Florida don’t seem bad.

If I was you I’d just make road trips and stock up every few months.
  • I like it 1

The laser code is L7086FF14:59. Now that I’ve been studying codes to find those choice bottles I couldn’t resist this one since I think it’s from 2007. It’s a only a 375ml and I over paid but still can’t wait to do a blind side by side again my 2017 & 2018 bottles. 

8ACD67E4-6BAA-46A7-BBDC-2BF4A2B7D758.jpeg

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

You’re in Alabama right? It seems to be one the worse states for pricing and availability. You however got Tennessee and Mississippi bordering you and they seem to be really great for selection and pricing. Also Georgia and Florida don’t seem bad.

If I was you I’d just make road trips and stock up every few months.

Yes, that’s correct and I do.. I have relatives in MS and vacation in FL as well as the occasional trip to TN and GA for just whatever.. Those states seem to be in line with pricing, but not as competitive as some others.. Still much better then here! Just left a couple of LS.. OGD, your standand orange label (next to the Club 400) was $22.99. :( 

And let me say this too.. Those who know me know that I’m not cheap.. I have some nice things and go nice places as well. Most of us have vices as well! Lol. I guess it’s about the principle, I don’t mind paying, but feeling the egregious “up charge” or gouge is where the heartburn lays.. Ok, enough said. :) 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Yep. I was there on Friday around 3pm. There were three on their and I took one. 

Also saw they they had three ECBP A119, I’d youre interested. I only saw one batch come through at Binnys around here. 

I wonder if same location. I picked one up from Harlem on Thursday and it was the last one on the shelf, so maybe they restocked. Decent price on sale. I'll stop back and get more as I've been scouring for Kentucky Spirit lately. Hard to believe this has lingered for 3 years.

I saw the ECBP also, but that's a pass for me at $79. I did see this batch at Binny's for $50 a few weeks ago but exerted some self control and passed. 

1 hour ago, fanostra said:

I wonder if same location. I picked one up from Harlem on Thursday and it was the last one on the shelf, so maybe they restocked. Decent price on sale. I'll stop back and get more as I've been scouring for Kentucky Spirit lately. Hard to believe this has lingered for 3 years.

I saw the ECBP also, but that's a pass for me at $79. I did see this batch at Binny's for $50 a few weeks ago but exerted some self control and passed. 

Ah, no. I’m out in the burbs. 

Thats a ridiculous price for ECBP. It was $54.99 at this location. I bought my ECBP at Binnys for $45. Should have bought more. 

5 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

The laser code is L7086FF14:59. Now that I’ve been studying codes to find those choice bottles I couldn’t resist this one since I think it’s from 2007. It’s a only a 375ml and I over paid but still can’t wait to do a blind side by side again my 2017 & 2018 bottles.

I saw a bottle with that exact label in a bar and man, it was good!  I practically begged the owner to sell me the bottle but, with on premise license, he couldn't.  Let us know how you think it compares with today's WT 101. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I saw a bottle with that exact label in a bar and man, it was good!  I practically begged the owner to sell me the bottle but, with on premise license, he couldn't.  Let us know how you think it compares with today's WT 101. 

I wish I was better at describing the nose and palate when I do tastings. Yeah, sometimes I can pick out cinnamon or oak or some sort of jammy fruit but I don’t do anybody justice by using the correct terms because I end up sounding like a wannabe.  All I can say if I like something or like something even better or just plain old it doesn’t agree with my palate.

So here goes the best I can do.  From left to right, I putting up my new purchase 2007 375ml bottle up against a 2017 bottle, a 2018 “GH” code and a W.B. Saffell. 

One good bourbon, one very good bourbon and two fantastic bourbons. The 2017 is a solid pour but the 2018 is noticeable better. I was surprised by W.B Saffell. It’s fantastic both on the nose and palate. I was surprised by how I can tell it’s Wild Turkey but it really didn’t fit into the test because it’s unique enough that it really deserves a different label. I know the Whiskey Barrons Collection isn’t that popular but this one is a big win. The 2007, however, really dominated the field. Of course, it’s just my individual palate and only my opinion, but Wow!  The nose is so floral and pungent. It’s just bold and so is the flavor on the palate. I swear it even has a thicker mouthfeel. It’s just wonderful.  

The store had three more of these little beauties behind the counter. Hopefully, they are still there when I get back there in two weeks. If anyone stumbles into this store and sees them I already have dibs on them so don’t get any ideas on them. 

927A83C9-D377-480D-8E3B-B24990018D45.jpeg

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I wish I was better at describing the nose and palate when I do tastings. Yeah, sometimes I can pick out cinnamon or oak or some sort of jammy fruit but I don’t do anybody justice by using the correct terms because I end up sounding like a wannabe.  All I can say if I like something or like something even better or just plain old it doesn’t agree with my palate.

So here goes the best I can do.  From left to right, I putting up my new purchase 2007 375ml bottle up against a 2017 bottle, a 2018 “GH” code and a W.B. Saffell. 

One good bourbon, one very good bourbon and two fantastic bourbons. The 2017 is a solid pour but the 2018 is noticeable better. I was surprised by W.B Saffell. It’s fantastic both on the nose and palate. I was surprised by how I can tell it’s Wild Turkey but it really didn’t fit into the test because it’s unique enough that it really deserves a different label. I know the Whiskey Barrons Collection isn’t that popular but this one is a big win. The 2007, however, really dominated the field. Of course, it’s just my individual palate and only my opinion, but Wow!  The nose is so floral and pungent. It’s just bold and so is the flavor on the palate. I swear it even has a thicker mouthfeel. It’s just wonderful.  

The store had three more of these little beauties behind the counter. Hopefully, they are still there when I get back there in two weeks. If anyone stumbles into this store and sees them I already have dibs on them so don’t get any ideas on them. 

927A83C9-D377-480D-8E3B-B24990018D45.jpeg

Nice line up.. They all look “gulity” to me.. Lol. Enjoy...

JB Distiller's Cut @ $15.59. Great value. 

Don't bother asking  me where I found it,  because I just cleared the shelf. 

Sorry,...,not sorry. ;-))

Cheers

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

JB Distiller's Cut @ $15.59. Great value. 

Don't bother asking  me where I found it,  because I just cleared the shelf. 

Sorry,...,not sorry. ;-))

Cheers

Dang. I figured I’d give it a shot for $21. That’s a helluva deal. 

Per recommendation, secured a VOB BIB, and a Early Times BIB.  Very good pours....pricing is tough to beat on the VOB @ $13!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, callingtom said:

Per recommendation, secured a VOB BIB,

The next SB stampede has commenced. :) 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I would start buying stock in Sazerac Company, but sadly they are privately held.

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I heard that train a comin'...

@ a month+ ago actually,   Missed out on HH6yr bib, didn't let these slip by (and left some on the shelf).

Resizer_15528506501750.jpg

Edited by PowderKeg

On 3/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, afmadd said:

I do like MGP.  Let us know how it is!

Its an easy drinker, a bit sweet. Probably be a good summer drinker since it’s pretty light. 

Though it didn’t start off too well. 

200B458F-17A3-4671-BDB3-B3C0CF7E2495.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Its an easy drinker, a bit sweet. Probably be a good summer drinker since it’s pretty light. 

Though it didn’t start off too well. 

200B458F-17A3-4671-BDB3-B3C0CF7E2495.jpeg

Thanks for the report.  I've never had the cork break - hope you got it out ok!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.