What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, jvd99 said:

The boss gave me a rhetoric 25 won at a charity auction.  Made my Monday 

My boss is a wine guy, he frequently shares his $100+ bottles of wine with me, I couldn't tell you the difference between that and a $10 bottle. Sounds like you have an awesome boss! 

I picked up a bottle on Angel's Envy on my lunch break during a local stores 15% off happy hour. Discounted whiskey always tastes better in my book. 

We are just starting to see OF 1920 / 1910 showing back up in Illinois at regular markup.  It has been out of stock for months.  Just bought a 1910 @ $49 and a 1920 @ $52.   Couple of locals had 1920 @ $75.

Grabbed another 1792 Full Proof. These are rare around here. Limited to one per customer so I grabbed another to be able to replace the one I opened last week.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Bevmo store pick barrel #7220.  Been enjoying a bottle of this so picked up a backup today.  $39.99 after $10 off coupon.  This is a good one!  Sweet oak with a touch of banana on the nose.  Banana is not something I associate with KC, that's for sure, but it sure is good.  Similar flavors on the palate.  Great mouthfeel with a long, nice finish.  Oaky and complex but not bitter or tannic.  I was hesitant to even try this as I don't have a lot of confidence in Bevmo's barrel pick process but they hit it out of the park with this one, IMO.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, callingtom said:

We are just starting to see OF 1920 / 1910 showing back up in Illinois at regular markup.  It has been out of stock for months.  Just bought a 1910 @ $49 and a 1920 @ $52.   Couple of locals had 1920 @ $75.

I picked up a bunch of 1920 knowing it’d be tough to find after I had a pour or two. By the time I’d gone back the the bottle, it didn’t ring the same way to me for some reason. Now I have two behind the bar that I don’t know if I’ll care for. 

4 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I picked up a bunch of 1920 knowing it’d be tough to find after I had a pour or two. By the time I’d gone back the the bottle, it didn’t ring the same way to me for some reason. Now I have two behind the bar that I don’t know if I’ll care for. 

Had the same experience with OF 1920.  Had a pour, enjoyed it, went back for a second bottle.  Had a send pour, and a third and I just didn’t enjoy it.  Left it on the liquor table at a BBQ and gifted the second bottle to a frigid tailgate at the Giants/Cowboys game.

15 hours ago, Carnagusfarnbuckler said:

Let us know the results of the SBS?

Not much of a wordsmith. Basically they are very similar. The Ezra is noticeably sweeter and the Virgin is hotter but not by much. Thise are the two main differences. The charcoal is heavier in the Virgin Bourbon as well..which leads to an aftertaste that the Ezra doesnt have. Ill pick up Ezras as I see them.. i think theyre different enough to value having some for the future. Will pick uo VIrgin Bourbon again and hope there is bottle to bottle variation and hope that some are slightly sweeter. 

The Ezra has lots of caramel notes where the Virgin has none. May do a blind SBS next week which may be what I shouldve done tonight.

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

My birthday is coming up... just sayin.

:)

40 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Had the same experience with OF 1920.  Had a pour, enjoyed it, went back for a second bottle.  Had a send pour, and a third and I just didn’t enjoy it.  Left it on the liquor table at a BBQ and gifted the second bottle to a frigid tailgate at the Giants/Cowboys game.

Glad it’s not just me. Thought I was loosing my taste for it. Then some McKenna righted my palette. 

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Not much of a wordsmith. Basically they are very similar. The Ezra is noticeably sweeter and the Virgin is hotter but not by much. Thise are the two main differences. The charcoal is heavier in the Virgin Bourbon as well..which leads to an aftertaste that the Ezra doesnt have. Ill pick up Ezras as I see them.. i think theyre different enough to value having some for the future. Will pick uo VIrgin Bourbon again and hope there is bottle to bottle variation and hope that some are slightly sweeter. 

The Ezra has lots of caramel notes where the Virgin has none. May do a blind SBS next week which may be what I shouldve done tonight.

I am sure you know this but the Ezra Brooks 101 is discontinued and will soon go away.  I still see it here at a few stores.  I picked up a couple also for later.

So the state of Ohio released a 1792 Full Proof Barrel today. For those of you not from Ohio (lucky you), since we are a control state the state does all barrel picks, stores are not able to. When these release you would think the store just got some BTAC or Pappy in, there will be a line of people waiting before the store opens. As I'm sure you can assume by my attached photo, I did not make it over to Cleveland to grab one. Luckily, a friend of a friend grabbed him a bottle, so I will get to have a taste sooner or later. I was bummed I didn't get a bottle, but it turns out some ECPB A119 made it's way to a couple of local stores. I made my way over and grabbed the second to last bottle. I would have loved to grab a backup after all of the great things I've heard about this bottle, but I'm hoping karma will play in my favor for leaving that one for someone else ?. This evening will be my first experience with this one, I can't wait! 

ECBP.jpg

Edited by pouringwhiskey
  • I like it 4

Got all the harvest collection for 14.99 a piece, and the crown cornerstone for 43.99.  I couldn’t pass them up for the prices.

94C865CC-B2C3-4E09-BC58-ADFE1037280B.jpeg

• I like it 6

Got all the harvest collection for 14.99 a piece, and the crown cornerstone for 43.99.  I couldn’t pass them up for the prices.
94C865CC-B2C3-4E09-BC58-ADFE1037280B.thumb.jpeg.2bd8773bf5c0115389da6709d3e1f1fa.jpeg

That was a screaming deal in my opinion. Congrats!
  • I like it 1

Had to seek out more of the ECBP “A” batch which is awesome. Also 1792 FP Ohio store pick was available today at 9. I got one of the last ones around 9:45. Sorry pourimgwhiskey, but I’m sure you will love the ECBP!

0BC63368-63AA-424A-B875-7F9FE3EA5390.jpeg

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, AndyD said:

Are those 375’ mL? What a deal.

41 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Are those 375’ mL? What a deal.

Yep.  Those only come in the 375.  They are normally 40$ or so.

2 hours ago, AndyD said:

I'm a fan, have been looking for another Triticale but so far nada.

27 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm a fan, have been looking for another Triticale but so far nada.

This store has cases of it.  We can maybe arrange something if you’re interested.

Picked these up today. Never had either and will probably crack at least one if not both this weekend. 

87B8997B-3248-44F7-B0AE-4FF21993FFD2.jpeg

• I like it 1

WT Rare Breed fan, but haven’t tried the newer bottling yet.. Not a fan of EC12, but thought I’d give the SB a whirl..

3D4EB152-85D0-4D0B-BD71-4156F9021EB4.jpeg

• I like it 1

Stopped by a new LS that buys their own barrels. Picked up one of their BT’s so I could compare it to another BT PS I like from another store. Troubling that the owner didn’t have any barrel information, so don’t know how old this is. 

8777DE77-9737-4368-832D-59D59B514115.jpeg

Probably could have left this one on the shelf but I'm a sucker for older labels

y4mIen4ONks0sEhkM1zRCSvEyrVv-WYFBdcQ7tIW

• I like it 4

Probably could have left this one on the shelf but I'm a sucker for older labels
y4mIen4ONks0sEhkM1zRCSvEyrVv-WYFBdcQ7tIWwje3g7EcxZJgwvB8rsF8UbQN8c-16wPnkEzs7SPVZjY4Dl2hOD78wK-2PAEWG2-w7XIsIAgGAYXV3K3r2G5rSelpZll1zNF4KhZWb0Tv7ulEbVpt1Wjex7rR8RDy8cICqDiXQvgYheyGeI117W59utSZ5DY?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Assuming you’re not paying a big premium I would totally pick this up.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.