What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The boss gave me a rhetoric 25 won at a charity auction.  Made my Monday 

• I like it 5

The boss gave me a rhetoric 25 won at a charity auction.  Made my Monday 
Awesome boss you have
Enjoy it well

I picked up a bottle of OGD 114 on the way home once I found a local store that carried it. After a quick sample I think I will keep a bottle around from now on. 

• I like it 4

I picked up a bottle of OGD 114 on the way home once I found a local store that carried it. After a quick sample I think I will keep a bottle around from now on. 

Nice choice.
  • I like it 1

9FAC5050-F2A8-4BCE-806F-1C7516A125C3.thumb.jpeg.85e3020a935863e98acee41a82af2e70.jpeg

This came by the mail today, I’ll crack this bad boy tonight, cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 4

enhance

Had to run down to Alabama today, so I made a couple extra stops.. So glad I don't live there..they're prices are ridiculous. Saw this as high as $45 but got mine for $17. Still too high but wanted to SBS with OE.

21 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

Had to run down to Alabama today, so I made a couple extra stops.. So glad I don't live there..they're prices are ridiculous. Saw this as high as $45 but got mine for $17. Still too high but wanted to SBS with OE.

I pay 15 bucks around here for it.  I had heard you can get it some places like NC for like 11 bucks.  How do you like it?

31 minutes ago, Carnagusfarnbuckler said:

I pay 15 bucks around here for it.  I had heard you can get it some places like NC for like 11 bucks.  How do you like it?

I broke protocol and had a sip in the afternoon. Its very good. I think its closer to HHBiB than Ezra. The Ezra seems to have more of a caramel taste than the other two. But the SBS will tell me more. I think this is in a tight third place but close enough to keep me from lamenting the loss of the others. I still cant  go along with thinking EWBiB is close to these three. 

• I like it 2

I broke protocol and had a sip in the afternoon. Its very good. I think its closer to HHBiB than Ezra. The Ezra seems to have more of a caramel taste than the other two. But the SBS will tell me more. I think this is in a tight third place but close enough to keep me from lamenting the loss of the others. I still cant  go along with thinking EWBiB is close to these three. 

You and I are in agreement about EW BIB. As far as I’m concerned, EW BIB is an on the rocks bourbon or cocktail mixer only.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

You and I are in agreement about EW BIB. As far as I’m concerned, EW BIB is an on the rocks bourbon or cocktail mixer only.

That’s what I like about this forum... I happen to think EWBIB is excellent neat. I bought one bottle of OE7 because of the love shown here, and wondering if it will even make a good Manhattan. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

If your experience is with the older expression on the left, I agree.  But, IMO, the new release represented by the bottle one the right is significantly better.  Rounder, more complex and more mature tasting.  Color is significantly darker.  No way is it only 4 yo.  To my palate, it is 6 or 7. 

evan williams bib.jpg

• I like it 3

56 minutes ago, raymoall said:

That’s what I like about this forum... I happen to think EWBIB is excellent neat. I bought one bottle of OE7 because of the love shown here, and wondering if it will even make a good Manhattan. 

It makes sense. Some people dont like seafood, whereas I do. I just hate that yall have to go through your whole lives being wrong. ?<—-grin emoji

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 4

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

It makes sense. Some people dont like seafood, whereas I do. I just hate that yall have to go through your whole lives being wrong. ?

Let’s compromise, do it my way.  

Edited by markandrex

Stumbled on some McKenna tonight and grabbed two bottles. Liked it quite a bit. Was starting to think I’d lost it when KCSB and OF1920 weren’t agreeing with me the last couple days. 

If your experience is with the older expression on the left, I agree.  But, IMO, the new release represented by the bottle one the right is significantly better.  Rounder, more complex and more mature tasting.  Color is significantly darker.  No way is it only 4 yo.  To my palate, it is 6 or 7. 
336559458_evanwilliamsbib.jpg.236fabf2adfb3f4b9ccda66015a166a9.jpg

I believe the last bottle I had was probably the one on the left, but I still don’t think that EW BIB is 6yrs old. It’s priced too cheaply relative to many of their brands that used to have 6yr age statements and were priced slightly higher than EW BIB. Those brands lost their age statements or were discontinued by HH because they didn’t have enough aged stocks to maintain the brand with an age statement or they couldn’t justify selling it at its price point. I’ll give it a try again someday, but I generally prefer my sipping bourbon to have a little more age on it.

Yep, everybody has different tastes, and I really like OE7. I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again, that’s why Baskin & Robbins makes so many different flavors of ice cream. Cheers!
  • I like it 2

11 hours ago, JMFH said:

46388424585_1572691a03_c.jpg

Didn't think I had a chance of finding this in the area.  

I hope to pick this one up today.

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

...Color is significantly darker.  No way is it only 4 yo.  To my palate, it is 6 or 7. 

evan williams bib.jpg

Wow!  The one on the right is significantly darker! ;)

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Let us know the results of the SBS?

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Stocked back up on VOB.

20190306_215657-784x1613.jpg

I know where I can get this for $19.99, but that price is a lot better. Were they found locally?

Picked this one up yesterday along with a small batch EH Taylor. Missed out on a EC barrel proof by a day. 

134289DC-CB34-41B2-BA3A-6FDEDB6489BF.jpeg

19 hours ago, fosmith said:

evan williams bib.jpg

That's good news that the newer bottles are tasting a lot better but it's definitely not that old. I'm not saying I don't trust your palate - in fact you are making me consider buying one (which I had sworn off of based on the last one I had which was the older label).

The HH6yr BIB was discontinued because they could no longer justify selling a 6 year old bourbon at that price. This statement is directly from HH. If they discontinued what was at the time a bourbon available only in Kentucky for that reason there is no way they would turn around and put 6 year old whiskey in what is a high volume nationwide brand that sells at essentially the same price.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.