Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought the old bottle design for WTKS was tacky and I prefer the new bottle style.

That being said all that really matters is the contents.

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I thought the old bottle design for WTKS was tacky and I prefer the new bottle style.

Sometimes this forum needs a thumbs down 

• I like it 4

6 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Any style, proof, age, etc. Old Forester Bourbon is just okay. Nothing special.

Not true some of them are also bad!

• I like it 2

Ok, here it goes. I really like WT101 and think it would hold it's own against many other more exotic bourbons. I also like MM46 a whole bunch.

• I like it 5

20 hours ago, BigRich said:

Steve,

My experience from a few years back is pretty consistent with yours. Also, most of the private selections that I’ve run across recently I would also consider mediocre by comparison. If they were $45-$50 then I would say good hit in the $65+ range mediocre is appropriate.

So after I slagged on recent 4R picks, I went back and tasted an 8 year 11 month OBSV last night - right in the wheelhouse of what I was complaining about.  It tasted delicious.  Go figure.  Maybe my palate was just particularly receptive last night.  I think I still stand by my earlier opinion.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:04 PM, Richnimrod said:

I've always wondered; but never crossed paths with anyone qualified to answer the question...

What exactly does 'ass' taste like???   :D

ps. I love the clown farts comment!!!  :lol:

There is a certain sow on instagram that could answer the a.. question! ?

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Sometimes this forum needs a thumbs down 

Very funny response!

I admit, I’m with Nit on this. Never thought the old WTKS bottle was aesthetically appealing. 

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, mross said:

There is a certain sow on instagram that could answer the a.. question! ?

Sorry for being such a Luddite; but... Instagram? What do it mean?

3 minutes ago, mross said:

Damn, I need more ass in my whiskey, then...  :D

• I like it 2

On 2/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, Clueby said:

Some days I agree with most of that.  Blanton's can be boring at times but other times I find it very elegant.  

Wow, @Clueby, I'm so glad to not be the only one to think that! It has always seemed boring to me, with no flavor outside of some oak. I've never gotten what all the fuss is about. 

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Wow, @Clueby, I'm so glad to not be the only one to think that! It has always seemed boring to me, with no flavor outside of some oak. I've never gotten what all the fuss is about. 

First off, I Like Blanton's; however at the same time, I get why folks think it is boring. It almost bursts with flavor, but doesn't. It almost burns but doesn't. It builds to a nice finish, but is quite short & dry. It seems to build in every category, teasing in expectations. Since I like spicy foods, it also seems to be one of the few bourbons that I can sip with my meal; like a wine. I actually think that the totally even keel, is what is in the appeal. (and that rhymes, so...)

It is a very good choice when you aren't sure what you are looking for on that day. Well if that doesn't add to the confusion???

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

First off, I Like Blanton's; however at the same time, I get why folks think it is boring. It almost bursts with flavor, but doesn't. It almost burns but doesn't. It builds to a nice finish, but is quite short & dry. It seems to build in every category, teasing in expectations. Since I like spicy foods, it also seems to be one of the few bourbons that I can sip with my meal; like a wine. I actually think that the totally even keel, is what is in the appeal. (and that rhymes, so...)

It is a very good choice when you aren't sure what you are looking for on that day. Well if that doesn't add to the confusion???

@bayouredd, the way that you describe it as being "a bourbon you can sip with a meal" makes a lot of sense to me, much like a wine. I'd never thought about it that way before. And if you are pairing it with a meal, you don't want it to get in the way of competing flavors. That's why when I have a wine with dinner, I tend to like (regional) table wines rather than big, bold expressions. But I digress.....

I certainly can't speak for @Clueby on this, but to my palate, as far as a sipping bourbon goes, Blanton's tastes like a well-made vodka that's spent time in good quality casks. I know a lot of people absolutely love Blanton's, and I think it is very well made for what it is. It certainly is "smooth," easy-drinking, and is very approachable to bourbon connoisseurs and newbies alike, etc. But I find that if, at the end of the day, I want to sip something neat and really enjoy a great pour, it doesn't give me the flavor I'm looking for. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure that is an unpopular opinion regarding Blanton's because it is so loved by bourbon connoisseurs, but my palate needs more fireworks. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 4

Agree with Clueby and everyone some days it’s really good but a lot of days kind of boring. SFTB makes up for a lot of the boring days it’s a great full proof pour.
  • I like it 1

On 2/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, ThirstyinOhio said:

Maker's Mark Cask Strength is better than WLW

I fully realize that this thread is a "safe zone" and we're not allowed to critique differing opinions on personal taste, but I have to draw the line somewhere.  Seriously, you may need to get your palate examined.

• I like it 3

I love what Campari has done with the Whiskey Baron’s Series. Priced right at $50(I know its 375ml so it’s technically outrageous) for a LE.  Perfect size at 375ml so there’s twice as many bottles so I can actually find one of each.  Stunning artwork that is fun to study. There’s so much attention to detail on those labels and the pictures offer insights into the history of those forgotten distilleries. Plus the timing is right for me as the series came out after I got into bourbon so I’m hopeful I can get the whole series form start to finish.  

20 hours ago, mross said:

Ok, here it goes. I really like WT101 and think it would hold it's own against many other more exotic bourbons. I also like MM46 a whole bunch.

I'm with you on both counts. MM46 has become one my favorite wheater.

• I like it 2

On 2/15/2019 at 11:36 AM, HoustonNit said:

YMMV, but I always thought that the WTKS bottle was special!!

Edited by Patrick_OKC

On 2/15/2019 at 6:34 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@bayouredd, the way that you describe it as being "a bourbon you can sip with a meal" makes a lot of sense to me, much like a wine. I'd never thought about it that way before. And if you are pairing it with a meal, you don't want it to get in the way of competing flavors. That's why when I have a wine with dinner, I tend to like (regional) table wines rather than big, bold expressions. But I digress.....

I certainly can't speak for @Clueby on this, but to my palate, as far as a sipping bourbon goes, Blanton's tastes like a well-made vodka that's spent time in good quality casks. I know a lot of people absolutely love Blanton's, and I think it is very well made for what it is. It certainly is "smooth," easy-drinking, and is very approachable to bourbon connoisseurs and newbies alike, etc. But I find that if, at the end of the day, I want to sip something neat and really enjoy a great pour, it doesn't give me the flavor I'm looking for. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure that is an unpopular opinion regarding Blanton's because it is so loved by bourbon connoisseurs, but my palate needs more fireworks. 

Cheers,

Nancy

I feel much the same way. Usually when I have Blanton's, I have it a local restaurant where it's the best bourbon they have. With dinner, it doesn't disappoint.

But when I'm at home, enjoying a contemplative pour, Blanton's is usually a disappointment. It's not that its bad, there's just so much better stuff I could drink instead. I've got a bottle of Blanton's buried in the back of my bourbon cabinet that I've been nursing for over a year, and don't have any intention of replacing it when its gone. But I'll have a pour when I'm out and there isn't anything better.

• I like it 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, HoustonNit said:

Same, that gaudy, ugly ass bottle has kept me from trying it, even though I tend to like WT products. It's like if someone who had no taste tried to design a fancy bottle for rich people.

At this point in time, I am no longer a fan of 4R Single Barrel. Something has changed. The last two bottles I've had were just not good. The Yellow Label isn't even worth talking about.... it's that bland.

I think OGD BiB is one of the best tasting bourbons out there... much better than a lot of the pricey stuff. Dickel 12 is right up there too.

6 hours ago, ebo said:

At this point in time, I am no longer a fan of 4R Single Barrel. Something has changed. The last two bottles I've had were just not good. The Yellow Label isn't even worth talking about.... it's that bland.

I think OGD BiB is one of the best tasting bourbons out there... much better than a lot of the pricey stuff. Dickel 12 is right up there too.

That “SOMETHING HAS CHANGED” is no doubt in my mind the absence of Jim Rutledge. One of my favorite sayings is the one about  “the graveyard is littered with indispensable people”. But it sure seems when it comes to the craft of making great food and drink,  there are some indispensable ones. 

• I like it 1

Okay, I have to confess that I really liked the WTKS bottle. I thought it was a bit different and displayed well.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.