Jump to content
Seasick Sailor

Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Recommended Posts

ebo

Since EC went NAS, it isn't the same.... and not in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Since EC went NAS, it isn't the same.... and not in a good way.

I don’t really think that is an unpopular opinion. I think many, if not most of us would agree with that, with the exception being some of the private barrel selections of EC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Obeezy1Kaneezy
2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:


I don’t really think that is an unpopular opinion. I think many, if not most of us would agree with that, with the exception being some of the private barrel selections of EC.

There’s many things now I only buy if that is the case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fanostra
14 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Shhhh....let’s try to keep that our little secret. 

Pulled a bottle of this from the bunker a week or so ago and rather enjoying it. Not super complex but a good deal at $24 IMHO and may like better than WSR. Let's hope it stays below $30.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyD
On 2/13/2019 at 10:46 PM, Tony Santana said:

 

Michters 10 year is massively overrated.  So is MWND.

 

I haven't had every Orphan Barrel release, but the ones I've had have been enjoyable (even Gifted Horse) and worth the money.

Agree on M10.  Could not disagree on the second point more.  MWND is in my top 5. That’s the one I bring on road trips.

 

completely agree on orphan barrel.  I haven’t had them all but really enjoy forged oak and rhetoric.  One of the more distinct and notable noses around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BMartin42
Agree on M10.  Could not disagree on the second point more.  MWND is in my top 5. That’s the one I bring on road trips.
 
completely agree on orphan barrel.  I haven’t had them all but really enjoy forged oak and rhetoric.  One of the more distinct and notable noses around.  


I REALLY like Forged Oak. BarterHouse was pretty darn tasty as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
2 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

 


I REALLY like Forged Oak. BarterHouse was pretty darn tasty as well.

 

I like FO as well but like BH more. It's pretty similar to EC18 at 2/3 the price. 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThirstyinOhio
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, PowderKeg said:

I'll throw another one out - Makers Mark is not the be all, end all, most beautiful and magically fantasmagorical must-see-or-die bourbon tour stop in the known bourbon-verse.     

 

That title belongs to C&K...?

 

Now gimmie an AAAA-MEN!!!!!!

 

 

While the C&K property is gorgeous, until they actually do tastings of the whiskey they are making I think MM still deserves the crown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seasick Sailor

Not sure this is unpopular, but sometimes instead of drinking a pour of something nice in a glencarin and analyzing it, I like to mix up a boulevardier, Manhattan, or Old Fashioned and just kick back and relax. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

I basically buy nothing from BT or B-F anymore.

It comes down to: products unavailable, prices too high, brands discontinued or changed for the worse.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
12 hours ago, PaulO said:

I basically buy nothing from BT or B-F anymore.

It comes down to: products unavailable, prices too high, brands discontinued or changed for the worse.

I certainly hear you on BT. But I kinda feel like B-F is on a good course recently. I think a lot of people have enjoyed the Whiskey Row series as well as the Statesman, and a lot of people like the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. Granted, those aren’t cheap so may contribute to your “prices too high” consideration. That said, they have also added the Early Times Bottled in Bond and the Old Forester Rye, both of which are affordable and quality products, in my opinion anyway. They have also been doing Old Forester private barrel picks, and some of those have been really good. 

 

I still think OFBB is over hyped and over priced for what it is currently, but that has happened to pretty much all the primary LEs by now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
18 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I certainly hear you on BT. But I kinda feel like B-F is on a good course recently. I think a lot of people have enjoyed the Whiskey Row series as well as the Statesman, and a lot of people like the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. Granted, those aren’t cheap so may contribute to your “prices too high” consideration. That said, they have also added the Early Times Bottled in Bond and the Old Forester Rye, both of which are affordable and quality products, in my opinion anyway. They have also been doing Old Forester private barrel picks, and some of those have been really good. 

 

I still think OFBB is over hyped and over priced for what it is currently, but that has happened to pretty much all the primary LEs by now....

Agree with everything you say and I haven't even seen the OF rye yet.

Statesman was a great bottle and a bit of a sleeper due to being seen as a movie tie-in gimmick by many.

The only BT products I currently buy are private barrels that I taste first. I don't even look at the CEHT lineup anymore due to price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DCFan

High octane bourbons taste like rocket fuel. There I said it. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DCFan

That was unpopular bourbon opinion #1. My other unpopular opinion is that I abhor hoarders.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyD
18 minutes ago, DCFan said:

That was unpopular bourbon opinion #1. My other unpopular opinion is that I abhor hoarders.

 

Do you hate hoarders that stack deep out of fear that their favorites will be in short supply or non existent in the future?  Or do you hate hoarders that stack deep for investment purposes?  Or both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich
 
Do you hate hoarders that stack deep out of fear that their favorites will be in short supply or non existent in the future?  Or do you hate hoarders that stack deep for investment purposes?  Or both?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Urban Dictionary may pick up and run with a new word “Abhoarder” to describe people who abhor people who hoard.  :D

 

Use:  Dude, I am an unapologetic abhoarder.  Those shelf clearing asshats  are ruining it for everyone.”

 

 

 

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
1 hour ago, DCFan said:

High octane bourbons taste like rocket fuel. There I said it. ?

I don't get it, what's wrong with rocket fuel?

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BMartin42
High octane bourbons taste like rocket fuel. There I said it. ?

I thought that was gin. Which I also enjoy a good Beefeater martini.
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ratcheer

My unpopular opinion: I prefer rye flavored bourbons to wheaters.

 

Tim

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyD
1 hour ago, BigRich said:


Yes

 

It must stink, having to frequent a forum with so many people you hate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
High octane bourbons taste like rocket fuel. There I said it. ?


What bourbons do you like? Only thing I can recall you liking is bourbon cream. Nothing wrong with that but maybe bourbon isn’t your thing. Maybe try to get into cocktail blending or wine or beer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beasled

deep breath.... Blanton's 93 proof SiB is better than Gold or STFB..

 

 

*runs*

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich
 
It must stink, having to frequent a forum with so many people you hate.

The hoarders are nearly as tiring as the wiseasses but I muddle through.
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

The hoarders are nearly as tiring as the wiseasses but I muddle through.

Pot meet Kettle!
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...