Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

58 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

What bourbons do you like? Only thing I can recall you liking is bourbon cream. Nothing wrong with that but maybe bourbon isn’t your thing. Maybe try to get into cocktail blending or wine or beer?

My sweet spot is 94-115 proof. So that pulls in quite a few selections. Blanton’s, OGD BIB, WT101, MM, Eagle Rare, Sazerac rye to name a few. WTRB is at the upper limit. As to bourbon cream, I like that in my morning coffee on the weekends as I’m still a working stiff but that status changes at the end of the year. Talk about happy new year!! :)

42 minutes ago, BigRich said:

The hoarders are nearly as tiring as the wiseasses but I muddle through.

In all seriousness - half of this forum would probably be considered hoarders.

for me - I have 2-3 bottles of stuff I like.  That is it.  And there’s maybe a handful of those.  I thinks that’s a different classification that the 40 year old virgins with 700+ ETLs in their stash just constantly trickling through BSM.

lets face it - there are too many people that like whiskey and not enough supply.  Will be a different story in 10 years

Edited by AndyD

5 hours ago, AndyD said:

Do you hate hoarders that stack deep out of fear that their favorites will be in short supply or non existent in the future?  Or do you hate hoarders that stack deep for investment purposes?  Or both?

Since you asked and this is the unpopular bourbon thread :) I’ll lay it out there and really stir up the kimchee. Hoarding is greedy and it fuels the bourbon buying hysteria for those who feel shut out. And did I say it’s greedy?

4 hours ago, Kane said:

I don't get it, what's wrong with rocket fuel?

I’m a sensitive guy and it makes me cranky. :)  

My sweet spot is 94-115 proof. So that pulls in quite a few selections. Blanton’s, OGD BIB, WT101, MM, Eagle Rare, Sazerac rye to name a few. WTRB is at the upper limit. As to bourbon cream, I like that in my morning coffee on the weekends as I’m still a working stiff but that status changes at the end of the year. Talk about happy new year!! [emoji4]

Ok I stand corrected. I like your choices. I think you should try some Old Forester, Statesman, SB picks, rye, something from the whiskey row selection other than 1920.

I did bourbon cream a couple Christmas breaks ago but it sets a bad precedent, maybe when I’m living the dream like you and am retired.
  • I like it 1

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok I stand corrected. I like your choices. I think you should try some Old Forester, Statesman, SB picks, rye, something from the whiskey row selection other than 1920.

I did bourbon cream a couple Christmas breaks ago but it sets a bad precedent, maybe when I’m living the dream like you and am retired.

I got into the bourbon frenzy a few years ago and like all newbies I was looking for the unicorns. So for me that meant the ABC lottery. My best score was an EC 23 which is still sitting unopened down in my bunker. But after reality set in I started focusing on the easily attainable stuff and in Va we do get a very nice selection of mid priced bourbons to choose from (unlike the poor drinkers in NC). I’ve posted a few times that OGD BIB and WT 101 are outstanding choices and more than adequately satisfy me.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

Since you asked and this is the unpopular bourbon thread :) I’ll lay it out there and really stir up the kimchee. Hoarding is greedy and it fuels the bourbon buying hysteria for those who feel shut out. And did I say it’s greedy?

There is greed yes, just like in almost every other facet in life.  I’ve also met very generous and trustworthy people in the hobby as well.

personally - I feel that part of the issue of is the distribution laws and stores that want to be “honest” and sell near msrp.  If they would just sell the damn product at what the market demands , the secondary would be much more tame.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, ratcheer said:

My unpopular opinion: I prefer rye flavored bourbons to wheaters.

Tim

Same

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, beasled said:

deep breath.... Blanton's 93 proof SiB is better than Gold or STFB..

*runs*

Limited experience on the Gold and SFTB but as far as the bottles I have had I tend to agree with this. Still appreciate the nice gents that brought me those bottles though. ;) 

• I like it 1

My unpopular opinion: I prefer rye flavored bourbons to wheaters.  

Tim

I don’t feel this to be unpopular around here. Now if you said you prefer ryes over bourbon than maybe you’d wake some folks up.

It bothers me more than it should whenever somebody says: ‘technically [insert TN whiskey name here] isn’t bourbon.”

No! “Technically” it IS bourbon. :)

Usually, I just shut up and say nothing but someday... :D 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, DCFan said:

High octane bourbons taste like rocket fuel. There I said it. ?

That's why you add water.

• I like it 4

On March 2, 2019 at 6:36 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Not sure this is unpopular, but sometimes instead of drinking a pour of something nice in a glencarin and analyzing it, I like to mix up a boulevardier, Manhattan, or Old Fashioned and just kick back and relax. 

I'm right there with you on this one. Sometimes its nice not to have to always "think" when you drink. Lately I've been having lots of bourbon cocktails with blood orange since its been in season. 

20 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I certainly hear you on BT. But I kinda feel like B-F is on a good course recently. I think a lot of people have enjoyed the Whiskey Row series as well as the Statesman, and a lot of people like the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. Granted, those aren’t cheap so may contribute to your “prices too high” consideration. That said, they have also added the Early Times Bottled in Bond and the Old Forester Rye, both of which are affordable and quality products, in my opinion anyway. They have also been doing Old Forester private barrel picks, and some of those have been really good. 

I still think OFBB is over hyped and over priced for what it is currently, but that has happened to pretty much all the primary LEs by now....

OK I agree ET BIB and the OF Rye sound good, but we haven't seen them in Indiana yet.  I do plan on trying those.  

I have to disagree otherwise on B-F being on a good course.  Maybe from their perspective, but not from mine.

When the Whiskey Row series came out, the regular brands suffered.  Taste some OF Sig from the first decade of the 2000s, and see how good it was.

Nowadays $50 for 5 year old 90 proof selection?

19 hours ago, DCFan said:

My other unpopular opinion is that I abhor hoarders.

Totally agree.  When I find something I really like, I have to stock up before the hoarders get them all.  :D

• I like it 17

6 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Totally agree.  When I find something I really like, I have to stock up before the hoarders get them all.  :D

I laughed at this very hard.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

OK I agree ET BIB and the OF Rye sound good, but we haven't seen them in Indiana yet.  I do plan on trying those.  

I have to disagree otherwise on B-F being on a good course.  Maybe from their perspective, but not from mine.

When the Whiskey Row series came out, the regular brands suffered.  Taste some OF Sig from the first decade of the 2000s, and see how good it was.

Nowadays $50 for 5 year old 90 proof selection?

I’m probably overdue to try a bottle of the current OF Sig. I don’t think I’ve had a bottle at my house for several years now. 

Totally agree.  When I find something I really like, I have to stock up before the hoarders get them all.  [emoji3]

This is awesome, I also don’t have this issue as I haven’t had an opportunity to buy multiples of anything relatively limited or allocated in multiples in years.

I’ve seen recent posts of people buying multiples of stuff like EC12 with the age statement on the back or FC 6yr. I don’t see an issue with that as this stuff has sat on the shelves for years.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Now that is funny!  I do admit that I am a hoarder. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I laughed at this very hard.

Yep. Me, too.  It’s still early, but that is contender for post of the year.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Now that is funny!  I do admit that I am a hoarder. 

Me too. At least of bourbons that I really like. :) 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I thought the GTS blew away the WLW for 2018. Not sure unpopular that is, but that's what I thought. :)

Edited by Brett
  • I like it 2

9 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m probably overdue to try a bottle of the current OF Sig. I don’t think I’ve had a bottle at my house for several years now. 

I'm talking about the "dusty" older label OF Sig - that was the good stuff.  The current white paper label 100 proof belongs on the bottom shelf.  The last batches of Signature before that, even worse.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm talking about the "dusty" older label OF Sig - that was the good stuff.  The current white paper label 100 proof belongs on the bottom shelf.  The last batches of Signature before that, even worse.

I know what you’re referring to, might not have been clear in my prior response. I’ve drank plenty of what would now be considered “dusty” OF Sig years ago and remember it as being a quality product at a reasonable price. I haven’t tried any in the last several years though, so if the more recent stuff has declined a lot, I need to taste the current stuff to see how bad it has gotten. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.