What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I am now deep in my cups which always causes me to wax philosophical.  I started with some Buffalo Trace and have now moved to Longbranch. 

For each one, I appreciate the years that it took for a master distiller to learn his craft so that he could provide me with this level of product.  Craftsmanship is something we should always pause for a moment to appreciate. 

I will leave you, my friends, with this thought from Max Erhmann. What if we are measured by how lightly we tread on other’s souls as we journey through life. 

Have a great weekend. 

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 3

I enjoy steaks over an open fire and it’s just been too damn hot, but this afternoon  it felt really good so I thought I would lite my pit and cook some steaks and enjoy a very good glass of buffalo trace store pick. Life is good....

CAD740B3-6EC5-4D33-BA2A-44CBDE0242CD.thumb.jpeg.6ebc1836fd622710a2380fcd621cee91.jpeg

• I like it 7

EW Master Blend. 

Picked this up this past April, at the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience.

20190817_214101.jpg

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I like Baker's - what proportions of Baker's and Distiller's Cut do you use in your blend?  50:50?

I like OWA/WA107 (Loch & K(e)y Society picks) and Maker's Mark Private Stock, too.  Does that make me a "Tater" now or just an everlovin' Bourbon drinkin' kinda' guy???   ?

Yeah I just keep it simple at 50:50.  If I wanted to put more time into it I'd experiment with 2/3 Bakers to 1/3 DC.

Everlovin' Boubon drinkin' kinda guy?  I like that, you need to put that in your SB signature line ?

• I like it 2

Enjoying this sweet, dark chocolate and cherry goodness! One of a half dozen bottles acquired to the team over the weekend.

611BCA98-4D08-4DB6-BA61-CC09B2182EBA.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, jwperry said:

"Which batch is that?  A118? Can't read the label in your photo. "

B519

Glad to hear that.  I just picked up a few bottles of B519 but A119 has not shown up on No. Calif. shelves yet.  Maybe never will?  It's the only batch I've missed since the one before the new bottle shape. 

I had an old fashioned last night made with Bulleit.  I already had a bottle of Angostura Aromatic bitters, and I picked up a bottle of their orange bitters on Friday.  I had to make an old fashioned to see how it tasted with both.  

I also had a small pour of RR10 this afternoon.  It really seems like it has changed, since it was opened a couple weeks ago.  Maybe my taste is also changing???

20 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Outa' the freezer, into the Dombey...

20190817_182059.thumb.jpg.a63865063f28557c09ee0facd2b65896.jpg

Questions:

1.  How is that outta the freezer?

2.  Why do you need a bottle of degreaser next to your computer?  (you don't necessarily need to answer this)

• I like it 5

It appears me and the in-laws are enjoying this. The 101 MM truly seems to just be likely regular MM at 101. Not complaining it’s nice but nothing complex. It has a nice dryness very different than most MM which I find to be sweet. No chocolate or anything as like the private select BS with the stave selections.

IMG_7593.jpg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

It appears me and the in-laws are enjoying this. The 101 MM truly seems to just be likely regular MM at 101. Not complaining it’s nice but nothing complex. It has a nice dryness very different than most MM which I find to be sweet. No chocolate or anything as like the private select BS with the stave selections.

IMG_7593.jpg

Thanks for the review. I picked up a bottle at a Duty-free store in Canada. I haven't cracked it open yet.  I'm with you on MM. It's an acceptable pour if nothing else is available. Mrs Skinsfan likes Maker's , a lot.  I like the cask strength, (if it's on sale), but there are a lot better offerings for the price.

• I like it 1

Glad to hear that.  I just picked up a few bottles of B519 but A119 has not shown up on No. Calif. shelves yet.  Maybe never will?  It's the only batch I've missed since the one before the new bottle shape. 

I found A119 to be overly oaky and overly hot. It definitely always got a few ice cubes, while I can do B519 neat. I do prefer it with a single cube as I think the temperature drop and proof drop help open it up.
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Questions:

1.  How is that outta the freezer?

2.  Why do you need a bottle of degreaser next to your computer?  (you don't necessarily need to answer this)

Right out of the freezer, it was excellent!!! Buuuuut, I put my second pour, in the glass, back in the freezer & got it just a bit colder. It wasn't nearly as good. My company thought it was a different bourbon altogether. After it warmed for about 5 min, it was back to lovely...

2.  Why do you need a bottle of degreaser next to your computer?

Damn, I knew this question was coming! Shoulda' called Vegas!!! That is actually my decanter. Note the intense burnt orange. hehe

BIB day (many are, as I’m a BIB Freak)! Started the day with OFBIB 1897, switched gears with GDBIB. May hit OGDBIB later... 

I've heard good things about that High Rye; still haven't seen one in the wild.

I'm enjoying EW BIB.  There has been some variability.  Luckily I found a better batch.  Bought several at a cheap sale price. ?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Last night.
IMG_3154.jpg
This infinity bottle just keeps getting better.

That's funny.  I have a bottle dumped the same day.  What barrel # is yours?

That's funny.  I have a bottle dumped the same day.  What barrel # is yours?

Don’t recall off the top of my head. I’ll have to check.

Saturday at dinner was a pour of 4R SiB.  Later at home a healthy pour of Baker's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.