What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, HoustonNit said:

Like to hear how it compares to the standard bottle.

You will shortly.

i have both on deck to be opened.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Like to hear how it compares to the standard bottle.

Ditto. 

FWIW, I do have unopened bottles of both. My problem is that I have too many open bottles right now. It’ll  be a while before I’ll be able to open both and do a proper SBS

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

31 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Like Uncle Douche says...BIBA!

Hah! This just made my night!!

• I like it 1

Ditto. 

FWIW, I do have unopened bottles of both. My problem is that I have too many open bottles right now. It’ll  be a while before I’ll be able to open both and do a proper SBS

Biba! Joe

Actually most curious about the 13 year, really would like to try with extra age. Then shown not sure I can justify the price.

Has anyone tried the 2019 BP? Considering this or the stagg jr as a gift to my brother. Would be interested to hear which is better. 

IMG_20191206_143643.thumb.jpg.daffde4f59c5d8b843164061100625d3.jpg

• I like it 3

32 minutes ago, ABVT said:

Has anyone tried the 2019 BP? Considering this or the stagg jr as a gift to my brother. Would be interested to hear which is better. 

I would be ecstatic if I were your brother. I’ve only tried the EH Taylor BP at a bar - finding a bottle has eluded me for years.

• I like it 1

I finally caved and picked up one of the Costco Maker’s LE 3-packs with 375s of Maker’s Cask Srength, Maker’s 46 CS, and Private Select CS. Great deal @$69.99 IMO.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, ABVT said:

If he is going to drink it, give him Stagg Jr. Its a better drinking bourbon. If he is going to put it on the shelf, EHT. Most EHT BP's are HOT and younger than Stagg Jr.

Edited by LCWoody

28 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

If he is going to drink it, give him Stagg Jr. Its a better drinking bourbon. If he is going to put it on the shelf, EHT. Most EHT BP's are HOT and younger than Stagg Jr.

When i first opened my 18 i wouldve agreed. After 9 months of being opened it or me came around . Wish i had a few more of the BP

Couldn’t resist any longer...

The new bottle is way sexy!
DE28E91B-88EA-4EBA-BB2F-2452A0192342.thumb.jpeg.fef62f1009a021d20bba143371052cf6.jpeg

They had to use those bottles for something since I don’t think Legent is selling like they hoped.
  • I like it 1

55 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

When i first opened my 18 i wouldve agreed. After 9 months of being opened it or me came around . Wish i had a few more of the BP

I enjoy the BP way more than the Stagg JR - although both are really good.

• I like it 2

I’m still in disbelief!  My FAVORITE local LS got these in today.  This store and the folks that own/operate it are just THE best!  In a world where almost everyone is jacking up their prices on the scarce, highly sought or limited bottles (just because they can), these guys are simply ethical, honest and fair.  I’m most appreciative and they will forever have my continued business!

3D297BA8-A28F-429A-9DE4-841F3EFB64F3.jpeg

• I like it 16

They had to use those bottles for something since I don’t think Legent is selling like they hoped.

I’m not so sure about that. Legent is still not available in many states.

I want even going to stop but W12 popped in my mind and bam! My guy at the store, which is about the busiest I’ve ever seen, asked me if I wanted a bottle. He didn’t have to ask me twice. I was actually expecting a highe price, but what the heck. I’m sure there’ll still be guys saying “ back in nineteendickeytwo when cellphones flipped open and electric cars were a dream of the future and shelves were loaded with all the impossible to find bourbons with numbers on the labels that actually meant something ..... W12 was only a quarter fourpence” 

C48ED36E-F476-4061-8AE0-F8AF18059DED.jpeg

• I like it 5

I’m still in disbelief!  My FAVORITE local LS got these in today.  This store and the folks that own/operate it are just THE best!  In a world where almost everyone is jacking up their prices on the scarce, highly sought or limited bottles (just because they can), these guys are simply ethical, honest and fair.  I’m most appreciative and they will forever have my continued business!
3D297BA8-A28F-429A-9DE4-841F3EFB64F3.thumb.jpeg.3413acfb3f493eb31e71f3e357330406.jpeg

Congratulations! However, just because a store decides to price something higher than suggested retail price because the real market value is significantly higher, doesn’t mean that store is unethical, dishonest or unfair. If you haven’t read the article regarding Pappy pricing on the Breaking Bourbon forum, I’d suggest you give it a read.
  • I like it 2

Congratulations! However, just because a store decides to price something higher than suggested retail price because the real market value is significantly higher, doesn’t mean that store is unethical, dishonest or unfair. If you haven’t read the article regarding Pappy pricing on the Breaking Bourbon forum, I’d suggest you give it a read.

Yeah but there is a difference between reasonable markup and 10-20 above MSRP.

14 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Thanks.  Yep, I’ve read that article.  I guess if I was reselling these, then it wouldn’t matter that much to me.  But since I don’t do that, I appreciate them for not gouging me on the price.  They hadn’t ordered these in the past.  I asked them to try to get it - and they were able to get 3 bottles of each.  Yes, they could have sold these for more, but they chose not to do that.  I don’t necessarily condemn those that jack up their prices, I simply appreciate those that don’t! 

• I like it 3

Thanks.  Yep, I’ve read that article.  I guess if I was reselling these, then it wouldn’t matter that much to me.  But since I don’t do that, I appreciate them for not gouging me on the price.  They hadn’t ordered these in the past.  I asked them to try to get it - and they were able to get 3 bottles of each.  Yes, they could have sold these for more, but they chose not to do that.  I don’t necessarily condemn those that jack up their prices, I simply appreciate those that don’t! 

I can’t argue with that. My first response was just to clarify what seemed to be implied by your first post. The Breaking Bourbon article was trying to explain to retail store customers why many stores charge more than suggested retail on some allocated and hard to get bottles or hold them for their best customers. Some of the comments to that article are pretty good too.

Anyway, we all want to find these bottles for the best price that we can, and it sounds like you are a very good customer at this store, and the owners have rewarded your patronage. That’s the way most stores that receive my business operate, but I also don’t begrudge them if they add a little more premium to the price on the harder to get stuff...their pricing is still far below secondary prices. Cheers, and enjoy those bottles!
  • I like it 1

Yeah but there is a difference between reasonable markup and 10-20 above MSRP.

I’m not sure I understand your comment. Reasonable markup is a subjective thing, so what is reasonable to me may not be reasonable to you. If you think $10 to $20 above MSRP is unreasonable for a BTAC bottle, then we’ll just have to disagree...and those prices were $10 to $20 above MSRP. I actually don’t think $100 over MSRP for many of the BTAC bottles is unreasonable given the actual MSRP of many other Limited Edition bourbons and ryes. And even if I think a stores prices are too high, it still doesn’t mean they are unethical, dishonest or unfair, it just means I think they have poor business practices...but what do I know, because there are certainly many successful stores that operate that way.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

For whatever it’s worth, this was only about $10 more than Legent.

I’m not sure I understand your comment. Reasonable markup is a subjective thing, so what is reasonable to me may not be reasonable to you. If you think $10 to $20 above MSRP is unreasonable for a BTAC bottle, then we’ll just have to disagree...and those prices were $10 to $20 above MSRP. I actually don’t think $100 over MSRP for many of the BTAC bottles is unreasonable given the actual MSRP of many other Limited Edition bourbons and ryes. And even if I think a stores prices are too high, it still doesn’t mean they are unethical, dishonest or unfair, it just means I think they have poor business practices...but what do I know, because there are certainly many successful stores that operate that way.

$100-$200 I can understand but like I said 10-20x MSRP seems to be the norm. They are successful cuz most of their business is not HTF, LE bourbon and rye. Most people don’t care that they are charging $800 for ORVW.

10 hours ago, ABVT said:

8 hours ago, LCWoody said:

AS much as I hate to, I am going to have to disagree here with our good friend LC Woody.  I have the exact opposite experience between the 2.  IMO the EHT BP is more refined and less hot than the SJr.   Recent side by side direct comparison too.  But we all know we each have different palates.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

I want even going to stop but W12 popped in my mind and bam! My guy at the store, which is about the busiest I’ve ever seen, asked me if I wanted a bottle. He didn’t have to ask me twice. I was actually expecting a highe price, but what the heck. I’m sure there’ll still be guys saying “ back in nineteendickeytwo when cellphones flipped open and electric cars were a dream of the future and shelves were loaded with all the impossible to find bourbons with numbers on the labels that actually meant something ..... W12 was only a quarter fourpence” 

C48ED36E-F476-4061-8AE0-F8AF18059DED.jpeg

I’m just amazed at all these people that carry around $100 dollar bills to pay for their bourbon when I see these receipts. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.