What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, Try something new said:

New to the board:  just getting started In my hunt for bottles.  Picked Up a RR store pick and an OF single barrel store pick.

My best advise to you is dont go much above those price wise until you really figure out what distilleries and mashbills make your palate sing. You have a great start there. RR SiB picks are my favorite pours. Welcome to a forum full of great personalities and knowledge. 

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, raymoall said:

Very nice! Plus love the Frank Zappa poster...can’t remember, but did one come with the album?

im not sure if its the movie poster or the one that came with the album. i traded someone an album or something back in the 80s. my vinyl copy i got used, had no poster.

• I like it 1

A replacement for my current RR pick. Both are warehouse F with the new being pulled from the 6th floor and the latter the 4th. Obviously very close profiles, both have decent spice and are very dry which I like. The new one is a tad bit sweeter. I like the details on the new labels particularly the age.

The new one is a Poison Girl pick. The owner of the bar is a member here and he runs an unpretentious bar with a great bourbon selection. This place was into bourbon before all the new places got on the trend.

IMG_8519.jpg

• I like it 3

59 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

Found both Sr and Jr Stagg releases today

Wow, that's a 2018 GTS

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, 0895 said:

Full disclosure, I’m typically not a big Beam fan.  Baker’s has always tasted different to me and thus probably why I enjoy it.

As a note of reference, I’ve never had a Bookers bourbon that I’ve liked, including the LE’s.

Little book 3 I thought was good.

Presentation wise, I prefer the new single barrel.  It’s a great looking bottle that stands out and opens easily, compared to the wax top wine bottle on the old batched bottle.

While I always appreciated the sleeper that Baker’s was, from a marketing standpoint, it definitely needed a refresh to get people interested again.

So, they smell rather different.

The old batched smells more complex and elegant.  It’s a harmony of aromas that I’m not quite able to separate.  There’s a caramel apple that dominates the nose.

The single barrel is more beam like.  The peanuts are lingering in the background, with caramel and something else I can’t pinpoint taking the lead.  
Batched takes the win on smell.

Tasting, they flip for me.  The older batched liquid is much more Beam like.

Slight peanuts followed by a good whack of heat across the tongue.  Caramel apples on the back for a moment and then it’s gone, leaving the middle of your tongue ablaze for a bit to remind you it’s 107p.  Delicious!

The single barrel is more heat up front.

Like a punch in the front of the tongue.

Once you get past it though, the remainder of the ride is fantastic.

Granny smith caramel apple dominates for the rest of the journey, and the finish is more moderate than the batched version.

Some slight cinnamon comes in right at the end (think red hots candy or big red gum).

My bottle is 8y,6m by the way.

My personal preference on taste is this particular single barrel.  It doesn’t taste a lot like Beam bourbon to me, and I like that.

In conclusion, both bottles are very good.

If I could only pick one, I’d take the new single barrel.

I paid $49 for the small batch and $50 for the single barrel (before tax).

Happy Sunday.

?

Curious, have you actually had a lot of Baker's small batch bottles, i.e., would you consider yourself to be a longtime Baker's fan or rather more of a non-Beam fan that just prefers Baker's over the others?  Trying to gauge  how much this applies to longtime Baker's fans versus others which may be what Beam is looking for here.  I don't really care about packaging (presentation).

Edited by Kepler
touch screen while drinking error

16 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

The new one is a Poison Girl pick. The owner of the bar is a member here and he runs an unpretentious bar with a great bourbon selection. This place was into bourbon before all the new places got on the trend.

I go to Houston quite a bit because my sis lives there. It has been several years, but we would meet Randy, Wade, and others at Poison Girl. Scott has an incredible selection and his picks are usually pretty tasty.

• I like it 1

I go to Houston quite a bit because my sis lives there. It has been several years, but we would meet Randy, Wade, and others at Poison Girl. Scott has an incredible selection and his picks are usually pretty tasty.

Does anyone in this picture look familiar?

IMG_8524.jpg
  • I like it 7

55 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_8524.jpg

Looks like Frank on the left, the gentleman on the right looks familiar, but I can't remember a name.

Edited by Phil T

IMG_8524.thumb.jpg.6d0d21b6bf1007b096d04215b63f4ddd.jpg

Yep, That’s Frank (GeeTen) on the left. I don’t know the other two.
  • I like it 1

I got a call from a store this week and was given the choice of a Lot B or an ORVW. I chose the ORVW and picked it up after work. When I got home, I placed it on the shelf and noticed my first name (or an attempt at first name, I should say) was written on the top left part of the front label. More than anything, I was amused. I assume this was an attempt to prevent resale, which I personally don’t mind at all. I hadn’t seen this before. I know MoM used to etch your name into the bottle on BTAC and Pappy (maybe they still do), but I hadn’t heard of this approach before.

I got a call from a store this week and was given the choice of a Lot B or an ORVW. I chose the ORVW and picked it up after work. When I got home, I placed it on the shelf and noticed my first name (or an attempt at first name, I should say) was written on the top left part of the front label. More than anything, I was amused. I assume this was an attempt to prevent resale, which I personally don’t mind at all. I hadn’t seen this before. I know MoM used to etch your name into the bottle on BTAC and Pappy (maybe they still do), but I hadn’t heard of this approach before.

Could it simply be so people at the store knew who it was reeves for?

23 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Could it simply be so people at the store knew who it was reeves for?

Yes, that occurred to me as well and it could be the case. They’ve never done this before, but it’s possible. I’ll ask him about it the next time I’m in there.

ECBP C919 has landed in No. Calif. so I picked up a couple of bottles.  I'm really liking the C918 I have open but C917 is my personal favorite of the last three years.  Seems the "C" batches have been the best, to me but, I've not had a batch that I haven't liked. 

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Curious, have you actually had a lot of Baker's small batch bottles, i.e., would you consider yourself to be a longtime Baker's fan or rather more of a non-Beam fan that just prefers Baker's over the others?  Trying to gauge  how much this applies to longtime Baker's fans versus others which may be what Beam is looking for here.  I don't really care about packaging (presentation).

I’m not a big beam guy.

I dislike the peanut taste some of it has.

I like knob Creek single barrels that are low or no peanut, and Bakers which typically doesn’t give me much of that note.

Ive never tried a Bookers bourbon batch that I liked.

I would say that historically, I don’t buy many bottles of Baker’s, but I drink it at bars with some regularity, as it’s usually priced pretty well.

A very kind and unexpected offering, brought from the back because she thought I might like it. She was right, in my book the best balanced bourbon out there— and the $120 price seems a comparative deal. 

765280AC-23B6-44DA-8DF8-DBA981BB9D30.thumb.jpeg.bf27bae5eabcb86369c6b17709597a8b.jpeg

• I like it 6

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

I’m not a big beam guy.

I dislike the peanut taste some of it has.

I like knob Creek single barrels that are low or no peanut, and Bakers which typically doesn’t give me much of that note.

Ive never tried a Bookers bourbon batch that I liked.

I would say that historically, I don’t buy many bottles of Baker’s, but I drink it at bars with some regularity, as it’s usually priced pretty well.

That's cool.  I also like Knob Creek and also prefer the ones with less peanut note.  To me the best KC barrels accentuate the brown sugar over the peanut.   I love Baker's and it's primarily for that caramel apple note that you described.  However I also really like Booker's.  I guess this makes me a Beam guy, but I don't like low proof Beam stuff at all.  The only budget product from them that I really enjoy is the Distiller's Cut.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's cool.  I also like Knob Creek and also prefer the ones with less peanut note.  To me the best KC barrels accentuate the brown sugar over the peanut.   I love Baker's and it's primarily for that caramel apple note that you described.  However I also really like Booker's.  I guess this makes me a Beam guy, but I don't like low proof Beam stuff at all.  The only budget product from them that I really enjoy is the Distiller's Cut.

I vat the Bookers'/Baker's with the NCF Distiller's Cut when the "big" stuff is too hot!   Delicious and wonderfully drinkable neat (IMHO). 

?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

On 12/14/2019 at 12:08 PM, mattp9 said:

Friday the 13th might be my new lucky day. I stopped by Costco mid afternoon to pick up a few things for the weekend and as usual I scanned the liquor section to see if they had anything interesting. I wasn’t expecting much given it is the holidays but low and behold I found a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year sitting in the case. $58.99.

Congrats.  That happened to me last year or the year before.  Walked into Costco on a Saturday morning to pick up coffee or whatever else, and see a GTS in the glass case at $69.99 or something crazy low like that.  Couldn't get up to the checkout fast enough, and they wouldn't let me buy more than one.  Still have that one unopened with my only other GTS open right now.  Sometimes you just hit it right.  Never saw another limited bourbon at Costco before or since.

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Everything  (well just about) was coming up roses today

398CFFDF-8D11-4C96-9578-D6D669441639.jpeg

I have literally never seen a FRLE on the shelf or behind the glass. Unless $699. Thats a good day

Edited by FasterHorses

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.