What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I just picked up a Binny’s PS OESO. Have yet to try that recipe and heard good things so I had to give it a try. 

The main reason for heading into my store though was to grab this 2019 release:

4BC6CC19-E1A0-4DDF-A73B-E2E21FAB967C.jpeg

Let us know how it is!

• I like it 2

I picked up an OWA last night for $30. Two things that I find interesting are that the price increase for OWA doesn’t seem to have impacted Minnesota yet (not that I see much OWA these days, but the ones I have seen recently are still $30 or less), and the ones I’ve bought are still the screw caps. I thought they were switching to corks? Maybe there is a correlation there, and the prices will go up here when the cork bottles show up? 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I picked up an OWA last night for $30. Two things that I find interesting are that the price increase for OWA doesn’t seem to have impacted Minnesota yet (not that I see much OWA these days, but the ones I have seen recently are still $30 or less), and the ones I’ve bought are still the screw caps. I thought they were switching to corks? Maybe there is a correlation there, and the prices will go up here when the cork bottles show up? 

I think the moral of your story is “stock up now”

it jumped to about $60 here.

• I like it 2

I think just depends on the what the distributor has left in stock and how it takes that to deplete to get to the new corked bottles. That being said my controlled county is now onto the corked bottles but hasn’t changed the prices yet. Will see if that remains true after the new year.

Another KC 14.8yr pick.  Everyone is getting their 14-15 year barrels at the same time and they are all great IMO.  Have 4 different ones open at the moment and will continue to purchase/drink until the stocks dry up or the price goes up.  

I did set aside 2 15 year bottles to save for later and may end up stashing 5-6 total just in case this is the end of the 13+ year picks.  

Just finished thinning the bunker and getting right back into it! 

• I like it 1

ok, so i overdid it this week, but it is rare to have a week's booty like this. i continue to be astonished by the KCSB value - 2 of these are over 15.5 yrs, the other a bit over 15.

20191213_141201.jpg

• I like it 10

Damn, quite a haul!  I'm hoping to get the bottle on the left.  Unlikely any of the others non KC bottles will be available.

Picked up a Willet Pot Still and a 1792 FP.

I was tempted by a $300 gift basket holding a Angels Envy Finished Rye, 18 Yr Elijah Craig SB, and a good ol’ McKenna bib.

I guess I still am, but I really only wanted the EC.

2 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Was kinda hoping for a WL Weller, but how could anyone say they’re disappointed? Lol. 

62393ACB-01B5-4FF0-B798-CD5F7A5A729A.jpeg

Does Binnys put that stuff out on the floor, or do you have to have a connection?

Cuz I’m gonna tell my mother in law to get her butt down there.

:)

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Does Binnys put that stuff out on the floor, or do you have to have a connection?

Cuz I’m gonna tell my mother in law to get her butt down there.

:)

LOL. I heard the Full Proof store pick was on the floor at some. The Pappy and BTAC is a list and set aside. 

• I like it 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:30 AM, JCwhammie said:

One of my locals also got the sweet and spicy. Thanks for the description, as I wasnt aware they were different mashbill or that they weren't actually single barrels. They're 100 proof, right? Let us know how the spicy is, as I'll likely buy one. 

It's been over a month since the tasting, but my notes were that the "sweet" was a very mild rye.  As named, it was all front palate sweetness with minor rye spice.  To many of us, too sweet and tame. 

The "spicy" had the back-of-palate burn you expect from 95/5, but not as much young rye taste as, say, bulleit.  No rough edges, but not terribly complex to me.

The "savory", to most at the tasting, was a nice marriage of the sweet, front palate with the bold punch on the back.  

Paid $50, and yes, 100 proof.  I'm not a regular rye drinker, so may not be the best source for critically reviewing, but SxSxS definitely showed the differences.

And I agree with the BP being really good.  It's a different ratio than savory, but is a blend of the recipes.  The higher proof makes a positive difference too...

• I like it 2

This is certainly no big deal, but my everyday pour (WT 101) is getting low and I needed to replace it before Christmas. I almost picked up another by reflex, but I decided on Old Forester 100, instead. I haven't had that in several years; I hope it's still good.

Edited by ratcheer
Simple typo

19 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

ok, so i overdid it this week, but it is rare to have a week's booty like this. i continue to be astonished by the KCSB value - 2 of these are over 15.5 yrs, the other a bit over 15.

20191213_141201.jpg

Was this in a binnys in the city or burbs?

Based on my recent positive experience with OF86 at the Delta Sky Club, I decided to go purchase one. While at the store, I noticed that OF100 had finally dropped back down to a normal price. I haven't bought one of these in probably 4 or 5 years because it's been priced at $35 or so before tax. Seeing it back down in the mid $20's (where it used to be before the inexplicable increase) made me an immediate buyer again.

• I like it 1

Friday the 13th might be my new lucky day. I stopped by Costco mid afternoon to pick up a few things for the weekend and as usual I scanned the liquor section to see if they had anything interesting. I wasn’t expecting much given it is the holidays but low and behold I found a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year sitting in the case. $58.99.

At first I thought it was too good to be true, but it wasn’t. The manager who got opened the case for me told me they just received a single bottle that day in the liquor shipment and he’d put it out 5 min before I arrived.

Of course I then decided to abandon my shopping list and drive like madman to the other to Costcos in the area but lightening didn’t strike twice. At one they hadn’t received any, at the other they had 3 bottles on the shelf when they opened that were gone with thing 20 min according to the liquor manager. IMG_0933.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, mattp9 said:

Friday the 13th might be my new lucky day. I stopped by Costco mid afternoon to pick up a few things for the weekend and as usual I scanned the liquor section to see if they had anything interesting. I wasn’t expecting much given it is the holidays but low and behold I found a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year sitting in the case. $58.99.

At first I thought it was too good to be true, but it wasn’t. The manager who got opened the case for me told me they just received a single bottle that day in the liquor shipment and he’d put it out 5 min before I arrived.

Of course I then decided to abandon my shopping list and drive like madman to the other to Costcos in the area but lightening didn’t strike twice. At one they hadn’t received any, at the other they had 3 bottles on the shelf when they opened that were gone with thing 20 min according to the liquor manager. IMG_0933.jpg

It's great to see that late 2019 there are still stories like this. Just happend to stumble on a ORVW under $60. YGTBFuc#ingK

• I like it 2

New to the board:  just getting started In my hunt for bottles.  Picked Up a RR store pick and an OF single barrel store pick.

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

20191213_141201.jpg

21 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

20191213_141201.jpg

Very nice! Plus love the Frank Zappa poster...can’t remember, but did one come with the album?

Found a dusty Knob Creek 9 yr age stated Small Batch at Sam's this morning for just over $30.  I noticed there were several mixed old and new labels in that display, pulled one and found it had the 9yr age. 

20191214_123110.jpg

• I like it 3

New to the board:  just getting started In my hunt for bottles.  Picked Up a RR store pick and an OF single barrel store pick.

Good start [emoji106]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.