What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Yup totally bought this for the coffee mugs, particularly the one on the right to bring to work. It was $3 more than the bottle alone and totally worth for some cool sturdy mugs.

IMG_8541.thumb.jpg.a9e96aa9ca454e9383b1065c598813ae.jpg

IMG_8542.thumb.jpg.c3a713597ebe1593a6d3e3997faa48ae.jpg

IMG_8542.jpg

Picked one up and been using the hell out of the “cocktail” mugs at work. Actually drank the bottle at work as well. I liked it and will be exploring more KC offerings in 2020

• I like it 1

I am guessing the Old Forester sets were at Costco?  They are a good deal.  I am hoping there are a few bottles of the Binny's KC picks still floating around when my friend hits Binny's during his Christmas trip next week.

We don’t have Costco in this part of the state. The gift sets were all at Binny’s.
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

Damn. At that price I would have cleared the shelf.

Yeah, I would have, but, sadly, it was one bottle per customer...

So i walked into my favorite liquor store today to see if there were any good picks. I ran into the manger and he asked if i had found what i was looking for.

I said: Ididn’t notice any OWA on the shelf.

He said: Let me see what I have in the back.

Holy Crap, It pays to ask!!!

IMG_6100.thumb.jpg.761b66e6aec567cd73acc2ac0276be7e.jpg

• I like it 4

Grabbed the last HH sampler pack on the shelf. They had marked it down to $15 (was in the $40s).  Also got a Stagg Jr. today in a lottery. Yes...Stagg Jr. is a lottery item in St. Louis.

20191222_202843.jpg

• I like it 5

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Grabbed the last HH sampler pack on the shelf. They had marked it down to $15 (was in the $40s).  Also got a Stagg Jr. today in a lottery. Yes...Stagg Jr. is a lottery item in St. Louis.

20191222_202843.jpg

Worth $15!    Those damned tall, skinny bottles tip over awfully easy, though.    I was hoping they'd be more stable than they are, and could be refilled, and used for samples and trades; but was forced to abandon that plan pretty quickly.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Worth $15!    Those damned tall, skinny bottles tip over awfully easy, though.    I was hoping they'd be more stable than they are, and could be refilled, and used for samples and trades; but was forced to abandon that plan pretty quickly.

I'd have bought more but was last one one the shelf. I will check back to see if they have more. Someone else beat me to a couple of them! Well..darn that was my plan, too...use them for samples. Didn't think about them falling over. Although I guess not a deal breaker. Why does a sample have to stand up? Ha.

• I like it 2

I went on a 4R run for a fellow SBer.  Then took the scenic way home through the Bluegrass (mostly brown right now).  I stopped at several new stores.  One was stellar.

Old Bakers - $34.99 (close out on old style bottle)

Old(er) EC 94 - $39.99

ORVW - cost $59.99. He said he just got it in and wanted it gone before the “Hipsters showed up”.

All and all, a good day.  Definitely done for awhile.

A1D82E25-615C-488C-87F1-47E3CB2422E0.jpeg

B2849473-8CBF-470B-B154-E709DDE13404.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 13

Not sure where to post this mix of barrel aged spirits. First McKenna I’ve seen since the hype started and my first cork bottle. I had to get this from the display case which is odd but still only $32.

The rum is right up my alley a single barrel pick, ex bourbon barrel, age stated, barrel strength and no additives.

IMG_8562.jpg

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Not sure where to post this mix of barrel aged spirits. First McKenna I’ve seen since the hype started and my first cork bottle. I had to get this from the display case which is odd but still only $32.

The rum is right up my alley a single barrel pick, ex bourbon barrel, age stated, barrel strength and no additives.

IMG_8562.jpg

I hope you like the rum— there’s also a rye-finished variant which is interesting in its own right. I actually picked up a similar bottle a few minutes ago to bring as a hostess gift tomorrow night. 

004554CE-D5C5-4E23-8617-F27C9CEA5442.thumb.jpeg.8aaa8275c3c6cda99b0ff1413cb9ae89.jpeg

• I like it 1

After enjoying a pour of this at a bar last Friday, I was pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of my own. The bottle certainly doesn’t draw attention to itself, which was to my benefit.

B47D0F9C-0A69-4768-8AAC-1D6CA001BC03.thumb.jpeg.8798387e3baac7a916b274b39c11c322.jpeg

• I like it 1

Family size bottles of BT and MM.

Also ponied up for a Baker’s 7 year Single Barrel. At $63 I wanted to try it at least once but it better be really really good to get me to come back at that price compared to the old Bakers.

Some recent pick ups over the last two weeks from VA ABC.

Stagg Jr was $53, MM RC6, Belle Meade Reserve, and ECBP were all $60 each.

IMG_1611.JPG

• I like it 8

I hope you like the rum— there’s also a rye-finished variant which is interesting in its own right. I actually picked up a similar bottle a few minutes ago to bring as a hostess gift tomorrow night. 

004554CE-D5C5-4E23-8617-F27C9CEA5442.thumb.jpeg.8aaa8275c3c6cda99b0ff1413cb9ae89.jpeg

Yeah I’ll try to pop it tomorrow night and put my comments in our smallish rum cult thread.

This year I decided to skip the Christmas Eve morning hunt, but a stop for a bottle of tea and some 3 Floyd’s beer across the river resulted in these:

Batch 13 of SJR

and JDHB 2019.

Last year JDHB was one of my absolute favorite releases, so I’m hoping this year’s is the same goodness.

61 degrees here.

It’s turning out to be a pretty nice day!

?

E206E289-FE24-4F26-82DB-E2600D867CDD.jpeg

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_8562.jpg

i have one of those kilkerran 12s in the bunker. picked it up a couple years on close out, gotta open it one of these days.

• I like it 1

Got the text message today. Came home with a GTS and an ER17. Just in time.

Wow! Congratulations on the ER17! They are next to impossible to get these days unless you’re willing to really pay up for them. My search continues.
  • I like it 1

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! Congratulations on the ER17! They are next to impossible to get these days unless you’re willing to really pay up for them. My search continues.

The ER17 was a raffle win. Every year my local does a food and toy drive so every day you bring in a can of chill/PB, tuna, and a toy, you get an entry in the raffle. My name has never been pulled but my wife has won in 5 out of 6 years my store has done this. The store owner teases me about that relentlessly and my wife says I owe her big time. (Full disclosure, I bypassed a PVW20 and Booker's 30th for the ER17. PVW20 tends to be too oaky for me and Booker's 30th, while great, is too pricey for what it is. Some will tell me I should have grabbed the PVW20 and traded or sold it but I've made a promise to my local that I'll never flip allocated bottles I get from them. It's why I keep getting them because he knows I'll go home and open it right away and then he gets to enjoy it when he comes over to my house.)

• I like it 13

The ER17 was a raffle win. Every year my local does a food and toy drive so every day you bring in a can of chill/PB, tuna, and a toy, you get an entry in the raffle. My name has never been pulled but my wife has won in 5 out of 6 years my store has done this. The store owner teases me about that relentlessly and my wife says I owe her big time. (Full disclosure, I bypassed a PVW20 and Booker's 30th for the ER17. PVW20 tends to be too oaky for me and Booker's 30th, while great, is too pricey for what it is. Some will tell me I should have grabbed the PVW20 and traded or sold it but I've made a promise to my local that I'll never flip allocated bottles I get from them. It's why I keep getting them because he knows I'll go home and open it right away and then he gets to enjoy it when he comes over to my house.)

My experience with PVW20 and ER17 is thanks to FacePlant, who has a couple of both. We share a lot of our unicorns with each other when we get together. I actually like PVW20, but ER17 is a very nice pour as well. I’m not sure which one I would choose if I was given the choice. I did get lucky when Booker’s 30th was released, and was able to get a bottle, so I wouldn’t have been tempted by it. Merry Christmas Steve!
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Got the text message today. Came home with a GTS and an ER17. Just in time.

Phil would put it a weeee bit differently brother, but Mery Christmas to you!!!  ?

• I like it 1

This is a very cool story.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.